Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ian Paisley

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Question Ian Paisley

Over the weekend, Ian Paisley, at the DUP conference, was up to his old tricks again, suggesting that Mary McAleese should seek British permission to go up to her native province. He suggested that McAleese did not like Ulster and commented on her Nazi comments. This is the same guy that described Catholics as breeding like rabbits and multiplying like vermin. At nearly the ripe old age of 80, he has not lost the old fire and brimstone. How would you describe the (in)famous Ulster politician?
    Never play leapfrog with a unicorn!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Biggotted, sectarian, inflamatory, cynical, manipulative, obstinate, obdurate, obstructive, ultra-conservative. This is like an English excerise.

I wouldn't call him infamous. I have to explain to people abroad who he is, everyone knows Gerry Adams but not Paisley.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student
    Biggotted, sectarian, inflamatory, cynical, manipulative, obstinate, obdurate, obstructive, ultra-conservative. This is like an English excerise.
    That about covers it...
    The Model Club

Tell all the Bohs you know
    that we've gone and won two-in-a-row
    and it's not gonna be three
    and it's not gonna be four
    it's more likely to be 5-1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderblaster
    How would you describe the (in)famous Ulster politician?

I would describe him as the person who more than most helped in starting want we all call the troubles back in 1969.
    Its crazy to see people be what society wants them to be but not me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'd have him on par with Hitler in the context of spreading hatred among the native's. also reckon(IMO)that the only reason he wasn't Assasinated during the troubles is because it would have made a martyr of him...............

EDIT>>

The government seem pretty pished orf about the comments he made about the president
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0206/northpolitics.html
    Last edited by Block G Raptor; 07/02/2006 at 8:51 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    I was sharing a house with an American bloke in 3rd year in college, walked into the sitting room one day and Ian was on the box, waxing lyrical about something or other. Ryan (the yank) and another Irish bloke, James, were watching this clown before I interrupted him with "turn that fcuking bigot off!". To which James replied "you see Ryan, everyone hates him!!".
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Of course you could go down another route and call him an arch opportunist and one of the North's most pragmatic politicians While I'm no apologist for his various links to dodgy groups down through the years, to dismiss Paisley as a mere bigot is to ignore the political genius of the man.

Also an interesting point is that Paisley "the Bigot" does excellent work for his Catholic aswell as Protestant constituents.

As for criticising our "esteemed" president, well quite frankly she should enjoy her free lunch while keeping that embaressing mouth of hers firmly closed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die
    Of course you could go down another route and call him an arch opportunist and one of the North's most pragmatic politicians While I'm no apologist for his various links to dodgy groups down through the years, to dismiss Paisley as a mere bigot is to ignore the political genius of the man.

Also an interesting point is that Paisley "the Bigot" does excellent work for his Catholic aswell as Protestant constituents..
    so what, thats his job
    As for criticising our "esteemed" president, well quite frankly she should enjoy her free lunch while keeping that embaressing mouth of hers firmly closed.
    what does that mean?
    you are saying that paisleys rant is more sensible than her comments on the rising?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roverstillidie
    so what, thats his job

what does that mean?
    you are saying that paisleys rant is more sensible than her comments on the rising?
    Ya, its his job kind of takes away slightly from the whole "hes a foaming at the mouth 100% bigot" argument though doesn't it

As for our president, I was just pointing out that she is an embaressing northern clown who shouldn't be allowed speak in public... (Kinda like Paisley I'm sure some people would argue )

Don't get me wrong I don't particularly like Ian Paisley, I was just kind of doing a Devil's Advocate act to point out it's stupid to dismiss the man and his career entirely as mere bigotry

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    501 Posts

Talking I have a dream...

I have a theory about Paisley. See, everyone says that he can't be assassinated, because he'll become a martyr; and that even if you do, his cronies will take over and continue in the same vein. All of which is true.

My theory is that if you stick him in stocks, and let everyone that dislikes him - North and South, this should be a cross-border initiative - give him a single funt up the arse, he'll end up with several million funts up the arse, ultimately killing him. He won't become a martyr, because you just can't martyr someone that was kicked up the arse to death; and his cronies can't take over, because they have no martyr.

If successful with Paisley, we could then move onto others that deserve to be kicked up the arse to death. What do ye reckon?

adam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta
    If successful with Paisley, we could then move onto others that deserve to be kicked up the arse to death. What do ye reckon?

adam
    I reckon our legs would be pretty sore by the time we finish

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    As for our president, I was just pointing out that she is an embaressing northern clown who shouldn't be allowed speak in public... (Kinda like Paisley I'm sure some people would argue )
    ive never heard anyone argue it until now.

what is it about limerick heads on this forum and their wild chip on shoulder attitude to northern nationalists

the woman is a professor of constitutional and criminal law and you are calling her a 'clown'?

try harder

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    what is it about limerick heads on this forum and their wild chip on shoulder attitude to northern nationalists

the woman is a professor of constitutional and criminal law and you are calling her a 'clown'?
    It's because we are all part of a secretive loyalist conspiracy to infilitrate the 26 counties. Along with our Boh's compatriots we are starting of by lulling the league of Ireland into a false sense of security with our inept football. Evidence of Limerick F.C's rampant, uncontrollable ultra-loyalist tendencies can be found if you look close enough. For example, if our all blue kit isn't enough evidence for you then look no further than our fans constant and boysterous renditions of "The Sash", "The Billy Boy's" and other wonderful songs which remind us of home in loyal Ulster. The chorus of NOOOOOO SUUUURRENDER!!!! which builds up before kick off in Rathbane really is enough to bring a tear to ones eye and our recently purchased Lambeg Drum really adds to the athmosphere at games........

As for our president, due to my own political views I often find many of her statements embaressing, I'm well aware that she is a professor but I thought you would realise I meant clown in a derogatory, slang sense as a way of expressing my dis-satisfaction as opposed to the literal meaning which would involve her wearing face paint, throwing cream pies, making baloon animals and such

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    ive never heard anyone argue it until now.

try harder

So it's handbags at dawn then eh?
    What is it Rovers types and their wild chip on their shoulder attitude to anyone who isn't a barstool republican with a finely honed historical analysis gleaned from the liner notes of a wolfe tones CD?

Paisley and Paisleyism are intriguing creatures. A bigot for sure (he quite likes the term in fact -as he says it's derived from "by God" as in "on Gods side") and a supremacist out of his own mouth to boot.
    -quote from 1980's "when my forefathers came to this land it was a bog land inhabited by a bog people"
    or from the 90's "when Ulsters wheat is seperated from Ulsters chaffe -the split is still 60-40"
    While most observers agree he has been an exemplary constituency MP/MEP/MLA I believe he has given less than brilliant leadership to his people down the years and has been a stoker of sectarianism when it's suited him.

Interesting to hear him say the other day though that when the talks start he knows "we'll not get all we want". Not the type of real politik one associates with him.

Though in the same interview he did say the only thing he wants off the southern government is Donegal, Cavan and Monaghan but as he said "I'll not be getting them" ... Maybe he's finally flipped.

Maybe we should give him "the lost counties" and let the re-united Ulster vote itself out of the UK faster than you can say Happy Days.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    He has a website too! This is brilliant.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Saw that on the news alright at the time. Jaysis if someones that superstitious why not just skip from 665 to 667 or if that's not possible I'll have it. I've no problem sitting in a seat number 666 for that salary.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie
    I've no problem sitting in a seat number 666 for that salary.
    Go in wearing devil horns for the laugh and really freak Paisley out.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Should have given the seat to Paisley. Interesting to see if faith in the scripture would lead him to beleive he is the anti-christ I know a few people who think he is!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Paisley is now a blocking point to further progress in the north. Seems like everyone waiting til he does to move on...
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete
    Paisley is now a blocking point to further progress in the north. Seems like everyone waiting til he does to move on...
    yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssss ...and no.

Paisley has manouvered himself into a **** or get off the pot position that I'm not sure he himself is comfortable with. If he's nothing else he is charismatic ...I've heard it said that, in plain conversation, he could charm the knickers off a nun.

But can he be a statesman? I'm guessing he cannot because he'll consider it weakness. Having passed up the opportunity to take a chance and actually offer leadership to his people he will retire with his reputation intact as some sort of a Carson re-incarnate who kept the gate shut.

In doing so he will hobble whoever comes after him -possibly junior - who won't be able to run from the deal or the talks table forever and who'll ultimately be faced with former paramilitaries getting as clean a bill of health as possible from the IMC and the PSNI. Any move his successor makes in that scenario will be regarded as a softening of the DUP position and a retreat from the 'Big Mans' resolve. It's that successor who will be haunted by 'Never, Never, Never.'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast