Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Media Comparison...

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Interesting Media Comparison...

I think that it is the media's attitude to domestic sporting transfer stories has been very interesting this week.

On one hand we have Brian O'Driscoll who has just signed a new contract for Leinster. The media are celebrating how Ireland is managing to keep one of its domestic sporting stars on the island.

One the other hand we have Jason Byrne, who is poised to sign for Djurgardens in the European powerhouse that is the Swedish League (which I accept is better than the EL but it is hardly Serie A) and this is celebrated equally by the media.

Irish football will never progress beyond its current state of the odd decent run (not by general standards but by our own poor standards) in Europe until people lose this inferiority complex.

I wonder if the FAI bankrolled contracts for marquee players at EL clubs would this change though?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    In fairness, they're not really comparable as sports in that sense.

Most countries have more sense than to play rugby, so Ireland is one of the biggest countries in the world. If you're with Leinster, you're with one of the top club sides in Europe. Even in England, it isn't that popular (by which I mean Premiership popular), so the wages over there wouldn't be as much bigger than over here.

Football, however, is far more layered and the eL is farther down the pecking order. For a start, it's largely semi-pro or borderline pro, whereas leagues like Sweden are fully pro. Players will naturally want to move up the scale - whether or not Djurgarden is up the scale is another issue - so players leaving Ireland is more a fact of life for footballers. The main point is that now we may end up getting paid more reasonable prices.

There's no way the FAI could afford to pay players' contracts. It'd also lead to accusations of pro-Cork/Shels/Rovers/whoever bias.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    In terms of status and standing the EL is treated similarly to the AIB league (if it's still called that). I sent George Hook a particularly nasty letter on the subject after he called the EL a noose around the FAI's neck.
    Cork City: Making 'Dream Team' seem realistic since 2007.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    On the point about how the associations spend their money.

My wifes cousin is a developemnt officer for the IRFU. That means he is given a car and is paid to drive around the country teaching kids how to play rugby properly.

It is not a mad concept, I have even met Irelands cricket development officer, but I have never heard of the FAI doing this.

What DO the FAI do to develop the game?
    Cogito ergo Bohs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    The status thing is true, I suppose. But in this case, I think the view is correct.

Ironic that Hook would call the eL a noose around the FAI's neck - most eL fans would call the FAI a noose around the league's neck!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vitruvian Man
    I think the FAI have anything from 20-50 similar Devlopment Officiers around the country. Its taken them a longh time post Charlton era to start but i think they have tried to do a lot more in last 5-10 years even if i have no direct contact with.

The IRFU are in worse financial situation than the FAi althiugh they do have lots of land. I watch rugby on tv but i can't stand Brian O'Driscoll & his ability os vasty overblown. The IRFU is wasting money on his contract - they should keep some high profile players & invest the rest in up & coming players.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think the media's coverage of transfers has been brilliant - this little first division club keeps getting full pages in the tabloids and leading RTE sport bulletins.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Passive
    I think the media's coverage of transfers has been brilliant - this little first division club keeps getting full pages in the tabloids and leading RTE sport bulletins.

Goes to show what happens when you things right.

KOH
    No One Likes Us, We Don't Care

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by WeAreRovers

KOH
    And when you have the right connections in RTE!!
    Cork City FC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts

Goes to show what happens when you DO things right.

KOH
    Footballing Freudian slip.

KOH

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts

KOH
    The football team of the future...where nothing can possib-lie go wrong. Emmm...possibly go wrong. That's the first thing that's ever gone wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Passive
    To be fair, Rovers seem to eb doing something right. There's been a noticeable increase in Rovers coverage on TV3 - even though it's the closed-season.

Des the 400 Club have a good contact in TV3 - or is it more a case of just pumping news stories out and journos somewhere will pick them up ?

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu
    The football team of the future...where nothing can possib-lie go wrong. Emmm...possibly go wrong. That's the first thing that's ever gone wrong.
    No having Juz as mascot on the 6-1 clip was the first.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Also the media will make Keano the golden boy of Irish football because he signed for Celtic. What Keano himself said disgraces me.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vitruvian Man
    On the point about how the associations spend their money.

My wifes cousin is a developemnt officer for the IRFU. That means he is given a car and is paid to drive around the country teaching kids how to play rugby properly.

It is not a mad concept, I have even met Irelands cricket development officer, but I have never heard of the FAI doing this.

There are quite a few doing the exact same thing. I used them for schools coaching in the past and so on. Paraic Nicholson, John Morris Burke are two former Athlone Town guys doing it. In the late 90s they were on about 25K (punts) a year plus expenses. I think they have a car as well now.

As I recall they got through a massive amount of work each week - coaching seminars, sessions in schools, clubs etc etc etc.
    The bloke in Sligo - his name is on tip of my tongue - is a martyr for work. I think he was a former Rovers player. Sound bloke.
    Last edited by hamish; 15/12/2005 at 3:57 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rebs23
    And when you have the right connections in RTE!!
    Where the Sports Editor is.............................a Cork City fan.

Yes, we do have connections all over the media but that's not through luck. Neither is the amount of coverage we're getting. Our press and publicity/communications is being handle correctly, unlike the vast majority of Irish clubs.

Most clubs don't send out press releases, dont hold press conferences and photo calls and don't even have a dedicated Communications Director. All this stuff is vital as the media are bombarded daily by professional organisations looking for publicity. We have to be up with the game.

Also, this stuff impresses sponsors hugely and is way more important than where you finish in the league (luckily for us ) No club can guarantee a cup final appearance every year or winning the league so you have to make the most of what you have.

And before you say it I'm not saying this to be smug as I know that the vast majority on here would probably agree with me and would like their clubs to do what Rovers are doing. We're lucky in that we are the biggest name in Irish football* but we're even more fortunate to be owned and run by people who care deeply about the club.

KOH

* Biggest as in the people who don't care about Irish football and know even less have heard of us. Not neccessarily a good thing but they are the "customers" we all need to reach.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    We're lucky in that we are the biggest name in Irish football.
    I think you'll find that 'University College Dublin, The National University of Ireland, Dublin Association Football Club' is the biggest name in european football.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sirhamish
    There are quite a few doing the exact same thing. I used them for schools coaching in the past and so on. Paraic Nicholson, John Morris Burke are two former Athlone Town guys doing it. In the late 90s they were on about 25K (punts) a year plus expenses. I think they have a car as well now.

As I recall they got through a massive amount of work each week - coaching seminars, sessions in schools, clubs etc etc etc.
    The bloke in Sligo - his name is on tip of my tongue - is a martyr for work. I think he was a former Rovers player. Sound bloke.
    The FAI have Regional Development Officers covering every area of the country and likewise from my experience they get through a huge workload. Niall Harrison covers the Sligo/Mayo area and is a very busy man. I attended a very good coaching course in Castlebar recently which he ran along with Leo Tierney. Sound men and they know their stuff!

They get a car alright, I think it's a FIAT Minivan type thing, can't think of the name!
    The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses - behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights.
    Muhammad Ali

Roy Keane is still a pri*k!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    All journalists are lazy, football journalists particularly so. Some are stupid too. if you give them enough copy they'll pretty much print all of it. Fair play to Rovers for exploiting this.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayo Red
    The FAI have Regional Development Officers covering every area of the country and likewise from my experience they get through a huge workload. Niall Harrison covers the Sligo/Mayo area and is a very busy man. I attended a very good coaching course in Castlebar recently which he ran along with Leo Tierney. Sound men and they know their stuff!

They get a car alright, I think it's a FIAT Minivan type thing, can't think of the name!
    Niall Harrison, that's the guy Mayo Red. Back in 1998 and 1999 I ran a number of coaching courses for teachers in Ballyhaunis Comm. School - weekend thing. Great response from Mayo - best in all the country by a mile.
    No problem getting FAI Development Officers/Coaches for it either. As far as I can remember, you had to get X number of responses before a course (Introductory or Preliminary or something - Jesus my memory is gone to hell) could go ahead.

Quite a few went on to higher levels then.

TBF, FAI couldn't do enough to assist.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast