Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

View Poll Results: After his prevarication would you like to see Kevin Nolan play for Ireland?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

23 35.38%
  • No

42 64.62%
Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Kevin Nolan saga

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The Kevin Nolan saga

It might be worth having a look at him in one of the friendles comming up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    He opted for England a couple of years back, subsequent to this article from the old Kickin' Magazine website:

http://www.kickinmagazine.ie/kevinnolan31102000.htm

Would he want to swap allegiances now? Would we want him, especially as he had the choice (unlike Kevin Gallen many years ago) and chose to represent England?

PP
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    I think Nolan actually came over and joined the under 18 squad for a competitive match but pulled out on the eve of the match. He's still only 20 and scoring in the regularly in the premiership.
    Always look on the bright side of life

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    I was under the impression that Nolan had decided to stick with England? To be honest, while I think he would be an excellent addition to our squad, I'd have more respect for him if he didn't change his mind again at this stage.
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Has made his choice and it's England. Pity but you can have no arguements. It's best anyone who considers representing Ireland second best not play for us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Kevin Gallen - "Give me the money Gerry"

Kevin Gallen had the choice ..................the english pound note was too much of an attraction to him.............as Gerry Francis said to him "if you want a new contract declare for England" if Gallen thought he was as good as was written about him at the time should have told QPR to stuff it declare for Ireland and who knows where his career would have taken him.
    Would not have been playing for QPR @ Portsmouth the following year where he had the serious injury, if he had declared for the country of his parents and followed his brothers choice.......................thats what greed does for ya, disgrace to Ireland / Erris Co MAYO

God Save Ireland or the queen in Gallens case.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Nolan is a good player but we don't want him if he decides he would have a better shot with us to play international football just because he's not good enough to get into there squad.Anyway if Sven thinks the likes of Butt,Sinclair and Phil Neville are ahead of Nolan in the England squad then he can't be that brilliant.

As for Kevin Gallen,I remember when he was being touted as the man to lead England's strike force with Alan Shearer pre Michael Owen days.He's doing well for himself now down in Div 2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Re: Kevin Gallen - "Give me the money Gerry"

Originally posted by Bring Back Mick
    Kevin Gallen had the choice ..................the english pound note was too much of an attraction to him.............as Gerry Francis said to him "if you want a new contract declare for England" if Gallen thought he was as good as was written about him at the time should have told QPR to stuff it declare for Ireland and who knows where his career would have taken him.
    Would not have been playing for QPR @ Portsmouth the following year where he had the serious injury, if he had declared for the country of his parents and followed his brothers choice.......................thats what greed does for ya, disgrace to Ireland / Erris Co MAYO

God Save Ireland or the queen in Gallens case.
    I'm guessing the "english pound note" is also an attraction to you, given where you say you are...

Like most 2G Irish, I've had it drummed into me to take the most secure options in life. Maybe Gallen's first loyalty was to his own security. And who can blame him for that? Calling him a "disgrace to Ireland" therefore is bang out of order. Sort out your issues and grow up.

PP

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts

Re: Re: Kevin Gallen - "Give me the money Gerry"

Originally posted by Plastic Paddy
    I'm guessing the "english pound note" is also an attraction to you, given where you say you are...

Like most 2G Irish, I've had it drummed into me to take the most secure options in life. Maybe Gallen's first loyalty was to his own security. And who can blame him for that? Calling him a "disgrace to Ireland" therefore is bang out of order. Sort out your issues and grow up.

PP
    I'm not sure what being 2ndG Irish has got to do with 'taking the most secure options in life'?

Hypothetically speaking (and I know this means we can give the PC answer), but if you were in Gallens shoes and had that conversation with G Francis, would you even consider declaring for England? I know I wouldn't.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Re: Re: Re: Kevin Gallen - "Give me the money Gerry"

Originally posted by Junior
    I'm not sure what being 2ndG Irish has got to do with 'taking the most secure options in life'?
    It's about the values with which we've been raised. In my case, it has everything to do with my father, who in the 1960s left Galway and came to England with "thirty bob in [his] pocket", wanting to make sure that his kids never had to take the same risk to earn a living. The same advice was given to many of my 2G friends by their parents. Maybe Gallen's father told him the same. Hence my generalised point.

Hypothetically speaking (and I know this means we can give the PC answer), but if you were in Gallens shoes and had that conversation with G Francis, would you even consider declaring for England? I know I wouldn't.
    The clear and simple fact is that whilst the likes of you and me would crawl over broken glass to play for Ireland, other 2G people don't necessarily feel quite as strongly as we do. I'd even go as far as to say that many 2G see themselves as English and have no affinity whatsoever with "home". Just look at the England u-17 and u-19 teams, where two of their emerging stars go by the names of Sean Doherty and Sean O'Hanlon, for proof of this.

Back to your question about Gallen; I'm not in my early twenties and being pressurised by a boss, who's in possession of a persuasive and dominant character, to take that decision. Gerry Francis was/is renowned throughout football for being such a man. Irrespective of what anyone thinks, it's a shame, as Gallen could have had twenty or thirty caps for us by now. I just don't think he should be pilloried for doing what he did all those years ago.

PP

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    I suppose I'm trying to play devils advocate, as I can sense we are on the same wavelength here

I agree/relate to all your points. Nearly all my friends are 2G Irish and would declare themselves as Irish, one or two exceptions however do see themselves as english/british. I don't have a problem with that, as its all down to what type of upbringing you have had and the key influences in your life.

I do have a problem with people picking and chosing or changing their minds on such a thing as 'nationality'. Gallen was obvioulsy put under a lot of pressure, but life throws these problems at us time and time again. He made his decision (for personal reasons) he should stick with it. These examples of players switching allegiances, make a mockery of national pride.

Jnr

By the way are you the same PP that posts on the huddleboard?
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Gallen made his choice and thats that leave him off it's in the past now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Originally posted by Junior
    By the way are you the same PP that posts on the huddleboard?
    Typical. I was thinking of asking you if you were Junior Manc, but never quite got around to it...

PP - Shepherd's Bush No 1 CSC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Lads

At the end of the day Gallen had the choice "******" to setting him up for Life and that he was guided by his parents ..... QPR gave him the offer and he signed, if he thought he was a good player he would have stuck two fingers up at them and asked for a transfer a number of the so called "big clubs " were interested in him at the time. If he had waited Jack would have come callin for him

He declared for England his choice and his lost of maybe a successful international career.

With regards to taking the pound note does that apply to all 1st 2nd, 3rd 4th 5th etc generation irish in the UK ...........I know what my choice would be if I was a footballer and had to choose
    between Ireland and England.................
    "Come on you Boys in Green"

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    can we get Millwall's Tim Cahill now that the rules have changed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Naw, he was only interested in us when it appeared the rules were set to change on the run-up to the 2002 World Cup. Now he's decided to opt for Australia.

PP

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by Bowsy
    Has made his choice and it's England. Pity but you can have no arguements. It's best anyone who considers representing Ireland second best not play for us.
    I totally disagree. You don't think those useless donkeys Kilbane, Holland and Breen would be playing for Ireland if they were good enough for England? Of course they wouldn't. The only reason any English player will declare for Ireland is if he is not good enough to make the English squad. It has nothing to do with loyalty, they just think they are more likley to succeed with England, why do you think Wayne Rooney didn't declare for Ireland?

Average players, like Breen, Kilbane and Kevin Nolan would never get a sniff of international football if it wasn't for their Irish ancestory.

On another note, I don't think we have actually had a decent Englsih player since Aldridge.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by carnstien
    I totally disagree. You don't think those useless donkeys Kilbane, Holland and Breen would be playing for Ireland if they were good enough for England? Of course they wouldn't. The only reason any English player will declare for Ireland is if he is not good enough to make the English squad. It has nothing to do with loyalty, they just think they are more likley to succeed with England, why do you think Wayne Rooney didn't declare for Ireland?

Average players, like Breen, Kilbane and Kevin Nolan would never get a sniff of international football if it wasn't for their Irish ancestory.

On another note, I don't think we have actually had a decent Englsih player since Aldridge.
    That's a bit harsh. Don't want to get into the 'plastic paddy' debate its been done to death. However, I was born in England and if Ericcsson and Kerr came knocking at my door I know who I'd talk terms with.

I feel that people like Kilbane (second generation) should be respected for representing their country just as much as Duff, Given etc.

I think Rooney is third generation Irish and IMO this rule takes it too far.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    why do you think Wayne Rooney didn't declare for Ireland?
    Because he's English and proud of it, no problem there.

Average players, like .....Kilbane ....would never get a sniff of international football if it wasn't for their Irish ancestory.
    that particular average player didn't play underage for England when he got the (more than a sniff of an) offer because of that ancestory.
    he's extremely proud to pull on the Irish shirt and always gives it 100%.
    To suggest that he chose Ireland because no-one else would have him (which before you protest, is exactly what you're doing) is a crock of sh!t.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I know it's been gone over before many times but the line must be drawn.People like Kilbane and Breen who genuinely love Ireland should not be slated in this way.
    People like Holland on the other hand I'm not so sure
    <insert witty remark>

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast