Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kevin Nolan anyone?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    207 Posts

Kevin Nolan anyone?

So now we know he is eligible and playing well should Trap and Brady be making an approach? Centre midfield is still the wekest area of our squad. With the exception of the injury prone Steven Reid we are dependent on journeymen (Andrews, Whelan, Miller) or unproven prospects (Gibson). Nolan is an experienced player of international quality who could be a formidable partner for Reid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Hmm. I thought that after 9000 posts or whatever it was on him before it was yet to be proved whether he was eligible for us or not. Needless to say, can opened, worms everywhere.
    I

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    562 Posts
    To Music

"Its too late baby its too late"

To bring this guy in now would be just a step too far.
    He had enough chances to choose to play for Ireland and he choose not to.
    That should be the end of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by as_i_say View Post
    Hmm. I thought that after 9000 posts or whatever it was on him before it was yet to be proved whether he was eligible for us or not. Needless to say, can opened, worms everywhere.
    Thats a cracking wee reply. It made me laugh. I jumped to this thread as the possible responses were always gong to be entertaining. Foot.ie needs a front page flashing warning. 'Public Health Warning: Do not mention Kevin Nolan with regard appearing for the Republic of Ireland'.: D

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Kevin Nolan anyone?

Kevin Nolan no one

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    he doesnt want to play for Ireland, a fact well established during the time staunton tried to get him in the set-up.
    "Excuses are the nails used to build a house of failure"

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    I'd prefer coleen nolan meself.
    Last edited by youngirish; 28/09/2009 at 12:30 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    You have to question the intelligence of a certain poster when he/she comes along, ignores the previous countless upon countless posts on Kevin Nolan and starts a new thread thinking he/she has something interesting to contribute with.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    207 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Harpsbear View Post
    . Foot.ie needs a front page flashing warning. 'Public Health Warning: Do not mention Kevin Nolan with regard appearing for the Republic of Ireland'.: D

I know, I know... it was just a misguided attempt to deflect a bit of vemom away from Stephen Ireland. But I wouldn't be totally surprised if it came to pass. He is covered by the amnesty and I was under the impression that it was eligibility rather than desire that was the sticking point during the Staunton era.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    As far as I can remember, it was the eligibility issue that prevented any development when Staunton approached him. Then again, I have a vague memory of Staunton wanting to approach Zat Knight, even though he had full England caps at that stage.

At the same time, I'd take Nolan in the squad if he proved his desire to play for Ireland. However, I don't think he considers himself Irish in any way.
    Last edited by Diarmo; 28/09/2009 at 12:53 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    I know, I know... it was just a misguided attempt to deflect a bit of vemom away from Stephen Ireland.
    Why would any sane person want to deflect venom away from Stephen Ireland? More lashings of venom for Superman is surely the only way to go.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    So now we know he is eligible and playing well should Trap and Brady be making an approach? Centre midfield is still the wekest area of our squad. With the exception of the injury prone Steven Reid we are dependent on journeymen (Andrews, Whelan, Miller) or unproven prospects (Gibson). Nolan is an experienced player of international quality who could be a formidable partner for Reid.
    I don't think you're going to make Detective, Third Policeman.............
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Plus is he really the player he was in Boltons earlier PL days, despite a good start to the season at a lower level than our current midfielders, allbeit I'm not their biggest fan. I personally think that ship has sailed.

Edit: Just checked his age in Wikipedia and he is considerably younger than I thought, changing things a little bit. Just turned 27 in June. Thought he was about 30/31 to be honest.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 28/09/2009 at 1:02 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    My understanding is as follows

Uner Kerr he was eligible but Kerr didn't want him. He didn't seem too keen either.

Under Staunton he wasn't eligible but was keen to play.

Under the change in the rules I believe he is now eligible again if we want him as is Jamie O'Hara and a few others.

He seemed to have lost form but maybe has regained it after saturday's display which I didn't see on tv.

If he is eligible and wants to play for us then he has to be worth a look. I think Jamie O'Hara might be a better bet though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,319 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gspain View Post
    My understanding is as follows

Uner Kerr he was eligible but Kerr didn't want him. He didn't seem too keen either.

Under Staunton he wasn't eligible but was keen to play.

Under the change in the rules I believe he is now eligible again if we want him as is Jamie O'Hara and a few others.

He seemed to have lost form but maybe has regained it after saturday's display which I didn't see on tv.

If he is eligible and wants to play for us then he has to be worth a look. I think Jamie O'Hara might be a better bet though.
    IIRC Kerr approached him when he was in charge of the underage sides, but Nolan wasn't interested then. Probably coloured Kerr's opinion of him.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Wasn't it reported last week that some players within the squad were happy that the Stephen Ireland issue was now closed and that Ireland would not be "parachuted into the squad".

What the hell would thay make of Nolan strolling onto the scene because it might now suit him?
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    I would not be so quick to throw out caps. I get the impression that many so called "dual nationality" players are capped because of their dual nationality and a "fear" that somebody else will cap them first. I'd question if Nolan offers more than the midfield options we currently have both in and outside the squad and players we know want to play for us.
    Last edited by ifk101; 28/09/2009 at 2:29 PM.

Formerly: Rafa B
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    To Music

"Its too late baby its too late"

To bring this guy in now would be just a step too far.
    He had enough chances to choose to play for Ireland and he choose not to.
    That should be the end of it.
    Well said.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    You have to question the intelligence of a certain poster when he/she comes along, ignores the previous countless upon countless posts on Kevin Nolan and starts a new thread thinking he/she has something interesting to contribute with.
    Thats a bit much. The post was started to regenerate discussion on a player that is eligable for us and seems to be playing well. No harm in that. He seems like a decent enough midfielder that could significantly improve our centre - as well as grab the odd goal. Our midfield is frighteningly weak when S Reid is taken out and I'd personally prefer to have the added option of a relatively strong midfielder in Nolan if we get to the WC. Third Policemans post was as valid as any. No need for the bitchiness.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooby Doo View Post
    Thats a bit much. The post was started to regenerate discussion on a player that is eligable for us and seems to be playing well. No harm in that. He seems like a decent enough midfielder that could significantly improve our centre - as well as grab the odd goal. Our midfield is frighteningly weak when S Reid is taken out and I'd personally prefer to have the added option of a relatively strong midfielder in Nolan if we get to the WC. Third Policemans post was as valid as any. No need for the bitchiness.
    Third Policeman is probably on the OWC forum touting the merits of Nolan as we speak. But do really think Nolan is better than our current crop of midfielders and Premiership players such as Fahey, A. Reid and McCann who are currently outside the squad?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast