Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 40 of 42 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 LastLast

Thread: Adam Idah F. Norwich City b.2001

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    782 Posts
    I think he's done really well to be honest, while a lot of the opposition isn't great in Scotland, there's a lot of pressure on your back playing for one of the big two there, especially for a striker and especially in a tight title race like this year's one.

I didn't like the look of this move when it came up in January. I thought there was an awful lot that could go wrong. He was going into a situation where the support was underwhelmed by the signing and had wanted a bigger name. The team hadn't been playing that well. Everyone puts 10 men behind the ball against Celtic other than Rangers so space in attack is hard to come by. Strikers get kicked up and down the park if they don't stand up for themselves and Idah has been injury prone. Celtic have a bloated squad and a lot of players just get lost there and don't play. The fans were ready to get on his back from day one if he wasn't scoring goals. And he was coming in mid season as a loan signing that could be easily cut adrift if it wasn't going well. Like I said, there was an awful lot that could go wrong. And if it did the "couldn't even do it in Scotland" tag was there to be thrown at him. (Incidentally it's worth reading The Secret Footballer/Dave Kitson's take on why he didn't go to Scotland late in his career - it's not as easy as people think.)

So to come out of that four months later in a position where he is part of a Championship winning team, played an integral part in the title win, scored crucial goals and brought about a situation where all but the most deluded Celtic fans want to sign him permanently is to his enormous credit I think. I'm a lot more positive about Idah's long term prospects now than I was four months ago.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

2. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    94 Posts
    Idah is not an out and out goal scorer - his role lies in his ability to receive and layoff the ball and his pace. He is reminiscent of Frank Stapleton - while not (at least at this stage) approaching close to Stapleton's ability. Idah's development has been curtailed by injury and by the limitations of Norwich. He is still quite young - 23 - and has time to develop. I think he will continue to be underestimated by supporters - and does have a role in the Irish squad.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,001 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Unless you are Mikey Johnston who go better at the supposedly better level?
    Mikey Johnston went from playing teams who play 10/11 men behind the ball in the usually vain hope of picking up a draw against Celtic (or Rangers) to playing against teams who (in general) attack as much as they defend.

Not entirely surprising that he would thrive in that increased space.

Anyhow, it doesn't relate to my point - which was that the SP is a league where doing well comes with asterisks. In the case of Johnston goimg to WBA, there was an element of 'So he can do it against Championship opposition.'.
    Last edited by osarusan; 16/05/2024 at 8:07 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Are you angry at those players because their individual & collective career trajectories didn't match expectations ?
    I'm sure they'd all like things to have gone better as much as the supporters would.

Or are you somehow angry at Kenny for it ?
    I'm sure he'd like them to have amounted to more, quicker too.

Or are you just experiencing generalised directionless anger to an extent nobody is supposed to mention Idah who realised he wasn't getting in at Norwich ( & possibly because he's not good enough at this stage to do so & may never be, who knows ) and did something about it, took a pressure loan and did quite well ?
    Why do you call me angry, CTP? Three times in a small post. Different opinion maybe, but no anger I assure you.
    Anois teacht an Earraigh / Beidh an lá dúl chun shíneadh,
    Is tar eis na féil Bríde / Ardóigh mé mo sheol.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Celtic twitter really positive about Idah. There's an account I follow, Celtic Gossip, and the replies to his question "should we sign Idah permanently?" were full of "I doubted him but he really delivered" (most common reply) / "better than Oh" / "different to Kyogo" / "wouldn't have won the league without him" positive comments.

7. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,253 Posts
    Back on the bench today unfortunately, and fairly peripheral when he came on for the last half hour at 2-2 (Celtic did win in the end)

So what next? I guess there's three options and I'm not sure it's straightforward which one to go for -

1) Stay at Celtic (if they'll sign him). Clearly the move has been a good one but as Ole Ole said earlier, you wouldn't want him stuck to the bench as much. I think he's gotten a bit of confidence back from scoring some goals (against tired lower SPL defences mostly) but really good imagine he'd benefit more from a regular starting spot (no different to any player). And obviously European football would be something new.
    2) Go back to Norwich. There's a new manager coming in (could be good or bad), and with them missing out on promotion, one or more of Sara, Barnes, Rowe and Sargent may move on. But they may sign new players too (though I did see somewhere they'd already borrowed against their third season parachute payment in an effort to get promoted, so their transfer activity could be interesting if that's true).
    3) Move elsewhere. Not sure where that would be - would he have many Championship suitors? He's never really lit up the league. If we take it SPL is mostly League 1, does he drop there and hope for a similar scoring run as at Celtic? But in a way that feels like a more clear drop down than moving to the SPL.

I guess first indication will be if Celtic make an offer, which would probably be in the next couple of weeks?

9. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,100 Posts
    On point 3), I think he's too young and expensive for League One.

If he's done that well in the SPL, I wonder will Continental options present themselves. Portugal. Netherlands. Germany. As an example, Feyenoord might cash in on Gimenez. Not saying he's a direct replacement but signing Idah for £5m as one of your replacements could make sense for a club like that.

Verona were in for him in January.

I would rather he explored those options than back to Celtic behind Kyogo. But read any Idah interview the last few days and he's been absolutely buzzing about Celtic and the manager there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,253 Posts
    Fair point actually - 3a might be a League One loan/move while 3b could be a European move. Bit like Troy Parrott going to a league where there's a relatively wide range so he could play up more than he plays down (as at Celtic)

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    862 Posts
    Idah to L1 might be the stupidest thing I'll read on the the internet this month

Jesus talk about telling me you haven't actually watch his games without telling me you haven't watched his games.
    Last edited by Razors left peg; 18/05/2024 at 3:45 PM.
    Its really not that complicated!!!

13. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    782 Posts
    Most likely he'll sign permanently for Celtic. Unless either the new Norwich manager is particularly keen on him, or Celtic get outbid by someone else, maybe a mid rank Serie A team or similar European side. But I expect he'll be a Celtic player next season. The closest he'll get to League 1 is possibly Ligue 1.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Idah to L1 might be the stupidest think I'll read on the the internet this month

Jesus talk about telling me you haven't actually watch his games without telling me you haven't watched his games.
    Not even close. Some rocket scientist over on YBIG bagged that with a Fans Revolution call.
    Anois teacht an Earraigh / Beidh an lá dúl chun shíneadh,
    Is tar eis na féil Bríde / Ardóigh mé mo sheol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    862 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    Not even close. Some rocket scientist over on YBIG bagged that with a Fans Revolution call.
    Amazing that some fans actually give a fcuk about trying to make changes for the better instead of constantly just being a whinging b1tch on the internet

17. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Back on the bench today unfortunately, and fairly peripheral when he came on for the last half hour at 2-2 (Celtic did win in the end)

So what next? I guess there's three options and I'm not sure it's straightforward which one to go for -

1) Stay at Celtic (if they'll sign him). Clearly the move has been a good one but as Ole Ole said earlier, you wouldn't want him stuck to the bench as much. I think he's gotten a bit of confidence back from scoring some goals (against tired lower SPL defences mostly) but really good imagine he'd benefit more from a regular starting spot (no different to any player). And obviously European football would be something new.
    2) Go back to Norwich. There's a new manager coming in (could be good or bad), and with them missing out on promotion, one or more of Sara, Barnes, Rowe and Sargent may move on. But they may sign new players too (though I did see somewhere they'd already borrowed against their third season parachute payment in an effort to get promoted, so their transfer activity could be interesting if that's true).
    3) Move elsewhere. Not sure where that would be - would he have many Championship suitors? He's never really lit up the league. If we take it SPL is mostly League 1, does he drop there and hope for a similar scoring run as at Celtic? But in a way that feels like a more clear drop down than moving to the SPL.

I guess first indication will be if Celtic make an offer, which would probably be in the next couple of weeks?
    I’d Idah has absolutely no doubt where he’d like to be next season. Do you really think it’s hard to choose between Celtic and Rochdale? SPL might be mostly League One but nothing in League One is remotely like Celtic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,253 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I’d Idah has absolutely no doubt where he’d like to be next season. Do you really think it’s hard to choose between Celtic and Rochdale? SPL might be mostly League One but nothing in League One is remotely like Celtic.
    Rochdale who'll be in the Conference next season? Not really a great comparison I think. But on the bench at Celtic or starting for Birmingham? Well now there's a discussion to be had.

You're probably right that he knows where he'd like to be of course.

Idah to L1 might be the stupidest thing I'll read on the the internet this month
    Not really. Like it or not, nothing in his career to date indicates he'd be a particularly sought-after Championship signing, especially with this talk of a £5m price tag. Would Norwich loan him to a club in the same division? Not sure. He's just gone on loan to a lower level, and it's done him a bit of good (as I suggested it might at the start of the season, while you said he should stick around at Norwich - tell me you haven't watched his games without telling me you haven't watched his games, eh? ). So why isn't it an option four months later?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    862 Posts
    If Celtic don't sign Idah it will because they'll have been priced out of move for him, and that'll only happen if clubs from Europe get involved, which they probably will. He's already being linked with Serie A, but I think Celtic will do everything they can to get him

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Rochdale who'll be in the Conference next season? Not really a great comparison I think. But on the bench at Celtic or starting for Birmingham? Well now there's a discussion to be had.

You're probably right that he knows where he'd like to be of course.

Not really. Like it or not, nothing in his career to date indicates he'd be a particularly sought-after Championship signing, especially with this talk of a £5m price tag. Would Norwich loan him to a club in the same division? Not sure. He's just gone on loan to a lower level, and it's done him a bit of good (as I suggested it might at the start of the season, while you said he should stick around at Norwich - tell me you haven't watched his games without telling me you haven't watched his games, eh? ). So why isn't it an option four months later?
    ah Rochdale or whoever. I couldn’t be added checking who’s actually in L1 using my mobile.

Point is that there’s no club in L1 that would be better for him than staying at Celtic. Birmingham or anyone.

He really is in the perfect place right now. Huge but demanding crowd. Standard just the right level for him to be effective, but not easy enough for him to be complacent. European football guaranteed. Worldwide fan base and so on.

Or there’s one of the 3 or 4 best teams in the West Midlands.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,646 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    Amazing that some fans actually give a fcuk about trying to make changes for the better instead of constantly just being a whinging b1tch on the internet

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,253 Posts
    He's already being linked with Serie A
    Is he?

Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Point is that there’s no club in L1 that would be better for him than staying at Celtic. Birmingham or anyone.
    Fair enough - I don't fully agree. 15 minutes a week is far from ideal. Regular starts at a similar-ish level would surely be better. Celtic's worldwide fan base isn't really relevant. (Obviously I'm making up the Birmingham link; that's just for illustrative purposes. I've no idea who else might be interested).

If he stays at Celtic you'd want to see him get his game at least. If next season is one of mostly cameo appearances off the bench, then I don't think that'd have been the best use of a season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    862 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Some context Stu.

I suggested on YBIG that maybe a fan protest/boycott should be organized for the Hungary game in response the FAIs handing of the last year. It seems some like Snapper there would rather continuing to lube up and take what they are given from our FAI overlords
    Last edited by Razors left peg; 18/05/2024 at 7:40 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,646 Posts
    Some context Stu.

I suggested on YBIG that maybe a fan protest/boycott should be organized for the Hungary game in response the FAIs handing of the last year. It seems some like Snapper there would rather continue to lube up and take what they are given from our FAI overlords
    The only problem I see in any of that is the YBIG part of it. Some absolute cretins hanging out there from my past exposures to it.

Page 40 of 42 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 LastLast