Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roy Keane Testimonial V Celtic

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Roy Keane Testimonial V Celtic

Seen this in some Scottish paper today. Hope its true, wouldn't mind a night in Manchester. I hope we get 20,000 tixs again to show Utd what a atomsphere is. Would be a great night.

ROY Keane’s affection for Celtic has been expressed often enough in public to be accepted as the genuine article. But, in the past week, it has deepened into an even more intensely supportive allegiance for reasons other than natural affinity.

Keane and his Manchester United team-mates are hoping desperately that the Scottish champions will cling to their title in the next two nerve-shredding weeks because Martin O’Neill’s side are due at Old Trafford on 3 August to play the Irishman’s testimonial match.

"They’re all on tenterhooks down here," said a jocular Alex Ferguson the other day. "Obviously, Roy and the lads want Celtic to come here as champions. They thought it was all over and they could relax when Celtic won at Ibrox, but now they’re having to go back and look out the brown trousers."

Keane should be re-assured that the Parkhead side’s status will have no bearing on the enormous number of fans they are likely to take to the match. As Ryan Giggs - like many before him - discovered when he was the last beneficiary of their company in 2001, Celtic supporters have a long-standing concord with United and a willingness to make the pilgrimage to the Theatre of Dreams that transcend such baubles as a league championship trophy.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fenabhoy
    It's a shame that the name of a great club(& travelling support)will be tarnished in such a way.......................

Surprised the Trafford Bavarians aren't indulging in their usual pre-season jaunt to the Far East....though that market is a little more crowded these days.

Explain....why would the club be tarnished?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Having to accomodate a pampered arrogant millionaire brat....even though he is a Celtic fan.It's not in the spirit of the club's ethos,IMO.

Though to be fair,I would feel a lot differently If he donated all but £100k max.to charity.As done by Messrs.Radebe,N.Quinn & G.Kelly in recent times.

I think Celtic are quiet able to tarnish themselves to be quiet honest...

On Keane..it would be nice if he donated some cash from his testimonial which i am sure he will..Roy does alot of charity work already so lets not forget that..and calling the guy a pampered millionaire brat is not on..he is looked after well because he is the captain of possibly the biggest club in the world and one if not there best player..he is a millionaire because of the above also and why not??..im sure a lot lesser players are also millionaires but Man Utd make enough money from him and he is dead right to get some back..and do not mistake arrogance with passion and determination to always being the best and thats also for when he plays for OUR country..i am not a Man Utd fan but Keane is a legend..have some respect for the guy...

oh and one last thing..doesnt that nice guy Craig Bellamy play with Celtic?..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Having to accomodate a pampered arrogant millionaire brat....even though he is a Celtic fan.It's not in the spirit of the club's ethos,IMO.
    Celtic are testimonial whores. Unbelievable the amount of times they play in England. And as for their ethos, they aren't doing this for free...

Oh and Man u's away fans are easily the equal of Celtic's. Home fans are different thing altogether
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Hmm.....3 in 10 years......Norwich,Wycombe,Manchester.
    'Whores' indeed.The sad thing is that the fans apart,they'd barely command a significant fee.....

ddint they also do gary kellys testimonial for leeds?
    illiteracy and alphabet soup hmm?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    have you seen ManUre this season.....inc.many of their big games....& for Ireland,Roy has been a shadow of his former self.
    Personally I despise his bullying,petulance & arrogance,but recognise he was at the height of powers going back to the turn of the century.But not now.
    The cheek of Keane in getting old! Doesnt he know that he would be a much better player if he just stayed 28 for ever! What does he think he's up to!
    As I say, we're just young & a bit nieve.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I can see & Keane/ Cork Vs everone else argument starting here......
    "I always likened him to a Rolls Royce. You just used him once a week & he'd be flawless"
    Townsend on McGrath

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    Celtic are testimonial whores. Unbelievable the amount of times they play in England.
    I've heard it all now, Celtic getting slagged for playing testimonials

I suppose it's their own fault really for being recognised as having a friendly and huge away following How dare they...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    I was in OT when Celtic came down for Giggs' testimonial.
    The presence of the Celtic fans made for a great atmosphere, and it was a cracking match, ended 4-3.
    I'd happily travel over for Roys if I thought I'd have the same experience again.
    Cork City: Making 'Dream Team' seem realistic since 2007.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    I especially liked when they were down a few weeks after the Manchester Bombings for the Hughesy testimonial. The RA songs went down a treat that day...

As for not doing testimonials, well this would be the 4th trip to OT in ten years for testimonials off the top of my head, so where the fook 3 in ten years in England came from......
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy
    I especially liked when they were down a few weeks after the Manchester Bombings for the Hughesy testimonial. The RA songs went down a treat that day...

As for not doing testimonials, well this would be the 4th trip to OT in ten years for testimonials off the top of my head, so where the fook 3 in ten years in England came from......
    To be fair Man U haven't been shy in asking Celtic down for testimonials(Macari, Robson, Hughes, Giggs off the top off my head)- do you think Celtic write to clubs begging to come down and play a testimonial?? United looked for a club who'd bring a big trouble free following, hence Celtic.

For this reason celtic have done many testimonials. It can be a bit tedious & many celts find it a bit of a **** take. However as more and more players are donating the cash to charity and the fact that it gives celtic fans outside of Glasgow an easier opportunity to see their side I guess the club see it as a good opportunity to 'spread the bible'
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Not really commenting on the Celtic testimonials too much, just pointing out the 3 in 10 years was clearly bullshít. It's 3 in 10 years at OT as it is (Hughes, McClair (fair enough), Giggs). Keane's would be 4th.

Celtic are used for the testimonials because the fans are gullible. They'll bring down crazy numbers for nothing games to make up for the short fall of home fans that think players get enough money anyway/ fed up being used by clubs to bolster contracts at their own expense.

btw, it's the players testimonial committee that sort out opposition isn't it? The home club just agree to provide the ground, security etc.

btw2, United have been asked up to Parkhead a good few times over the years too.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Mclair - I knew there was another I'd been too - the most obvious of the lot as well!

'Gullible' perhaps, or more likely for me, that the fans like an away day, a bit of a session away from the normal spl grounds.

I think you've agreed with my point that Celtic are used because of the big following - its purely a money thing as far as the testimonial committee are concerned.

As for games at Celtic Park. yeah you've been up there too. '92 celebrating 25 years since we won the european cup (the year before your lot I believe at a guess I'd say you brought up about 8k for a midweek game.

Think you've also been up for Bobby charltons and Crerands?? but could be wrong.

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    i think united were up about 3 or 4 years ago as well for Tommy Boyds testimonial. finished 2-0 united from what i can remember of it

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    I think you're right!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I assume by Keano's new £12m gaff that he's not short of a mill or two so is he donating his testamonial money to charity. Guide dogs for the blind would be obvious one as he does great work for them.

You are right about Celtic. Their fans will boost the gate.

These are always seen as a sort of Battle of Britain.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    I think it's up to the player what he does with the money. Good to see when they donate it to charity, but it shouldn't be the expected imo. Fans don't have to go to the games if they don't think it should go direct to the player.

United are particularly bad at using testimonials as part of the contract - reduce the weekly wage, with the promise of a pay day that they don't have to provide.

Incidentally, the testimonials against Celtic used to be great nights at OT. Just became to common, and the songs at Sparky's lost a lot of goodwill on the United side. Bryan Robson's was a brilliant night....

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy
    I think it's up to the player what he does with the money. Good to see when they donate it to charity, but it shouldn't be the expected imo. Fans don't have to go to the games if they don't think it should go direct to the player.

United are particularly bad at using testimonials as part of the contract - reduce the weekly wage, with the promise of a pay day that they don't have to provide.

Incidentally, the testimonials against Celtic used to be great nights at OT. Just became to common, and the songs at Sparky's lost a lot of goodwill on the United side. Bryan Robson's was a brilliant night....
    I don't dispute what you say (not close enough to utd fans feelings on the matter) but the same songs sung at Hughes were those sung at Robsons, Mclairs etc.... I guess from what you say it was just the timing?

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior
    I don't dispute what you say (not close enough to utd fans feelings on the matter) but the same songs sung at Hughes were those sung at Robsons, Mclairs etc.... I guess from what you say it was just the timing?
    Totally agree that they were sung at them all (McClairs after Hughesy's though) - it was more the timing. Not the brightest move just a month or so after the Manchester Bombings if you ask me. Manchester would be a fairly republican city (in no monarchy terms at least), so maybe it was under the radar. Seems like a long time ago (actually probably because it was ) that there was at least one joint fanzine between United and Celtic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    [QUOTE=Macy]

Incidentally, the testimonials against Celtic used to be great nights at OT. Just became to common, and the songs at Sparky's lost a lot of goodwill on the United side.

I suppose Man United fans singing songs about Bill Shanky's death is never going to upset anyone and put anyone's nose out of joint.
    Its crazy to see people be what society wants them to be but not me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast