Page 100 of 100 FirstFirst ... 50909899100
Results 1,981 to 1,997 of 1997

Thread: 2024 Season, Arrivals and Departures

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    Far be it for me to say anything positive about dundalk,but that's a decent appointment in my opinion. Daly was treated quite badly by Pats,but time may show he'll be the one who has the last laugh.
    A bucket of KFC would be more useful than kinger.
    + just the 26 years younger too !!!

We've gone from a manager (King) who last managed a league club 20 years ago to a manager who last won a major trophy 6 months ago !

Never saw this coming mind.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    Far be it for me to say anything positive about dundalk,but that's a decent appointment in my opinion. Daly was treated quite badly by Pats,but time may show he'll be the one who has the last laugh.
    A bucket of KFC would be more useful than kinger.
    Kind of agree. I think Daly was a bit unlucky not to get more time, considering the job he did last year, but on the other hand it just wasn’t happening this year and Garrett Kelleher may have been swayed by the availability of Stephen Kenny. As you say, time will tell whether it was the right decision for Pats. Good appointment for Dundalk I think. I was expecting Daly to try to get fixed up in Scotland, with his family still over there.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    332 Posts
    Guessing Dundalk fans happy with the appointment? I must admit I did not see that one coming, but it is a good move.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    879 Posts
    I'm happier about Daly getting the job than Barraclough who got far too much credit for the league winning side Cook built, hasnt made much of jobs since and unlikely to be on the pulse for LoI from day one as needed. Though I often feel that LoI managerial successes can be all about timing and luck in that regard - fail at one club and win a league at the next, have a striker on a hot freak streak and ruin a 6 in a row tilt. There are a number of better performers at Dundalk that are on loan so they need to be sorted, we maye see some additions to the squad in July (Was Daly renaging on offering extensions to loanees or players due out of contract?), and youd expect a full backroom team to be put together also.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    I think Daly has the makings of a decent manager (at some stage down the line), but i think right now, he is a terrrible fit for the task at hand with Dundalk.
    IMO, this season,under Daly, was on par with the harry kenny (w4nker) era.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    Hard to know where Daly is at in terms of his level as a manager, but Dundalk can and have done worse. He was great when he came in last season and had some good game plans game-by-game, but this year was the polar opposite and it's looking like he did an especially messy job of trying to build a balanced squad. He's a good egg as well on a personal level so would like to see his career play out successfully, big job on his hands here though.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    820 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    Pretty sure its Leixlip but stand corrected.
    Haven't trained in Leixlip for a few years, it's somewhere in Dublin anyway

8. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    58 Posts
    Is Ferdia O'Brien gone from Kerry already?

Randomly popped into my mind so I checked it seems he only made one 15 minute appearance at the start of March and hasn't appeared in a squad since the 22nd of that month.

It did seem like he had very little footballing pedigree.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    354 Posts
    Nathan Wood loan at Cork finished and he returned to Newport...
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    197 Posts
    Have to laugh at Jon Daly's quotes on the Pats squad

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/13049386...icks-athletic/

“When I was there I was getting stick for not challenging for the league with the same squad.
    “It's funny how narratives can change and all of a sudden the squad's not good enough, and when I was there it is good enough.
    If the squad is good enough to challenge for the league then it was his fault as manager for having them down in 7th place. If the squad isn’t good enough to challenge for the league then it’s also his fault, as he’s the one that assembled it. Can’t have it both ways, probably would’ve been best to pick one narrative and stick to it
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    Have to laugh at Jon Daly's quotes on the Pats squad

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/13049386...icks-athletic/

If the squad is good enough to challenge for the league then it was his fault as manager for having them down in 7th place. If the squad isn’t good enough to challenge for the league then it’s also his fault, as he’s the one that assembled it. Can’t have it both ways, probably would’ve been best to pick one narrative and stick to it
    In fairness I think he's just trying to point out a bit of a double standard that's happening with Kenny and Pat's now. Expectations were quite high for Daly and the pats squad after winning the cup last year. Now a lot of people are acting like even with Kenny in you can't expect anything from him cause the team is bad. I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. The team is not great but certainly has players to be in a better position than they currently are and I also think Kenny has to start to show some changes in performance because I can't say I was overly impressed with Pat's on Friday. Really their only 2 chances of note came from Bohs errors rather than great play on Pat's part. Outside of that they weren't particularly good.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Another Bohemia View Post
    In fairness I think he's just trying to point out a bit of a double standard that's happening with Kenny and Pat's now. Expectations were quite high for Daly and the pats squad after winning the cup last year. Now a lot of people are acting like even with Kenny in you can't expect anything from him cause the team is bad. I think the truth is somewhere in the middle.
    If that’s the point he’s trying to make then he’s more or less admitting to having not being up to the job by suggesting that the squad is good enough for a title challenge (but he had them in 7th) and that Kenny should be under the same pressure as he was this season, despite starting 16 games into the season in 7th place.

If he thinks that he shouldn’t have been under any pressure after being heavily backed in the transfer window by LOI standards and then failed to get performances or results out of his squad, then football management isn’t the career for him.

I think it’s clear at this stage that the squad needs a bit of surgery, but very rarely in football will a manager that built said expensive underperforming squad get the chance to do so
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    If that’s the point he’s trying to make then he’s more or less admitting to having not being up to the job by suggesting that the squad is good enough for a title challenge (but he had them in 7th) and that Kenny should be under the same pressure as he was this season, despite starting 16 games into the season in 7th place.

If he thinks that he shouldn’t have been under any pressure after being heavily backed in the transfer window by LOI standards and then failed to get performances or results out of his squad, then football management isn’t the career for him.

I think it’s clear at this stage that the squad needs a bit of surgery, but very rarely in football will a manager that built said expensive underperforming squad get the chance to do so
    I'm not sure I follow. I don't think he's saying the squad isn't up for it more that there's a sudden shift in the narrative surrounding Pat's league campaign this year?

Start of the season the external expectation was Daly + this team = title challenge & Europe. Now with an undoubtedly more accomplished manager the narrative is don't expect too much. That's a massive shift after bringing in a manager of Kenny's level. Obviously we have more context on the level of the squad but some of the concerns were there before the start of the season E.g. what if Breslin gets injured? Who replaces Curtis? Will the latest loan keeper be up to the standard. It's just a naive comment of an inexperienced manager and we've seen plenty of that from managers in this league before

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Another Bohemia View Post
    In fairness I think he's just trying to point out a bit of a double standard that's happening with Kenny and Pat's now. Expectations were quite high for Daly and the pats squad after winning the cup last year. Now a lot of people are acting like even with Kenny in you can't expect anything from him cause the team is bad. I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. The team is not great but certainly has players to be in a better position than they currently are and I also think Kenny has to start to show some changes in performance because I can't say I was overly impressed with Pat's on Friday. Really their only 2 chances of note came from Bohs errors rather than great play on Pat's part. Outside of that they weren't particularly good.
    Every manager puts his spin on things, I think that’s only to be expected. As a Pats fan I thought we might be able to challenge this year, though I was far from banking on it. What Shels are doing shows it is possible though, without necessarily a star studded squad. The fact that Rovers and Derry are both under performing this year means the opportunity is there. I have some sympathy with Joh Daly, although as 2 Yr contract points out, he did build the squad. As far as Stephen Kenny is concerned, whatever about the strength of the squad it’s absolutely the case that a title challenge this year has long since ceased to be realistic. If Kenny can get us into Europe from here that will be a very good season. We’ve lost a lot of tight games, which suggests that the margins are fine. The team maybe just lacks a little confidence at the moment.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    354 Posts
    George Shelvey departed Dundalk,no real surprise there I’d imagine….
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    They'll no doubt save on the cost of his rehabilitation and re-education by the team of experts they had lined up to 'work with him' and explain the difference between calling someone a c*** (which is fine) and an 'Irish c*** (which deserves a ten match ban).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    I assume he has the serve the rest of his ban with whatever club he signs with next ?

Page 100 of 100 FirstFirst ... 50909899100