Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Games weekend 3rd to 7th May 2024

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    195 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    pats issue is their plan A is so bad, id be worried what a possible plan B looks like.
    It worked very well first 20, drop long balls over the head of the young Sligo RB Reynolds for Mulraney to run onto and deliver crosses. He ran him ragged for that opening 20 but Pats didn’t take any of the chances created and once Sligo took the lead and figured out that that was pats only plan of attack, they nullified it easily
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CSAD View Post
    Cant wait for Rover's to get their asses handed to them by a Gibralter/San Marino side and then hear the fans on here claim they played a "top class side" as a way to excuse their pathetic performance
    Your persistance in winding up on this is laudable, getting the digs in nice and early! But the excuses havent shifted to quality of opposition since Europe 2020 really - its still about getting Jack back an having a first 11 to pick from...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    195 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    Honestly!??
    Jeez how long was Liam Buckley there at inchicore? I could have sworn that there's been a bit of a revolving door at pat's just in the last 10 years alone,but if you have stats to back up you're claim then I've no reason to doubt it.
    Pat Dolan 1999-03
    Eamon Collins 2003-04
    John McDonnell 2004-08
    Jeff Kenna 2009
    Pete Mahon 2009-11
    Liam Buckley 2012-18
    Harry Kenny 2019
    Stephen O'Donnell 2019-21
    Tim Clancy 2022-23
    Jon Daly 2023-

The only ones moved on after less than a year were Jeff Kenna who nearly relegated the club for the first time in its history and Harry Kenny who brought in a throughly putrid brand of football throughout as well as overseeing a big drop in off field professionalism in the squad he’d assembled
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    Hopefully you’re not a betting man anyways as this is a load of utter spoof. Pats have had 10 permanent managers in the 21st century which alongside shamrock rovers is the least amount of managers that any current premier division side have had in that time. I haven’t had a look at all first division clubs but the majority of those seem to be a lot higher too
    21st century is almost a quarter of a century old so your stats are correct but fail to acknowledge the potential of having 7 managers since 2018 including Buckley if Daly gets the boot, so PC would win his bet if he was more careful on the timespan. 7 in 7 years consitutues a revolving door of managerial appointments imo. Harry Kenny should be given a second chance eh PC!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    195 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    21st century is almost a quarter of a century old so your stats are correct but fail to acknowledge the potential of having 7 managers since 2018 including Buckley if Daly gets the boot, so PC would win his bet if he was more careful on the timespan. 7 in 7 years consitutues a revolving door of managerial appointments imo. Harry Kenny should be given a second chance eh PC!
    I didn’t bring the 21st century shout into the thread, I merely pointed out that the point was wrong for that timeframe (and the opposite was actually true for it).

Seen as the overall point was supposedly that pats making frequent managerial changes is the reason they haven’t challenged for the league in ‘donkeys years’, Pats have currently had 5 permanent managers since they last won the league 11 years ago and in that time aside from the Dundalk/Rovers dominance of the league have arguably challenged for the title just as much as anyone else, that being the 2021 2nd place finish as well as going into their final home game of last season still with a mathematical chance of winning the title (granted unlikely as it was to happen), as well as winning 3 FAI Cups which is matched only by Dundalk in that timeframe.

Essentially my point is, outside of rovers, who are the clubs that have been more successful than Pats have trophies wise in the last 7 years that have also made less managerial changes than pats have in that time? Dundalk have won more trophies in the last 7 years but with more managerial changes
    Last edited by 2 Year Contract; 06/05/2024 at 11:30 PM.
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trevy View Post
    Only 4 goals scored in in the 5 Premier games tonight. Will fans keep coming out in big numbers to see games like these? Are coaches being conservative or is it a lack of attacking quality?
    There has been a serious lack of quality attacking options in the league for a few years now and it’s been getting increasingly more limited.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Maybe my timespan wasn't relevant,but you can at least understand the point I was trying to make.
    And I won't have a word said against H. A LOI LEGEND!!!!
    Shamrock Rovers- Where trophies are won and envy is scarce

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    142 Posts
    never doubted caulfields ability to get results but is the lack of goals any concern for galway fans? things can turn quickly when the margins are as small as they are. no question about work rate or effort under him but 8 goals in 14 is rough enough. they wont finish in the bottom 2 but those numbers are fit for any relegated side since the league went to 10 teams...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    From my perspective anyway I've never been less concerned about a Galway side in the almost 2 decades I've been supporting the club.

During the first round of games I would have agreed with you that we are a bit toothless up front and that if we don't create any chances were not going to win enough games to keep us from going down.

But now after 15 games it's a big enough sample size to come to the conclusion that if we're this solid at the back were going to find it difficult to lose any games.

A team will always get a half chance due to an opposition mistake and if we can take one of those odds now look like we'll win the game.

Last time we were in the premier we scored a boat load of goals under Shane Keegan but we conceeded even more with how our defense was set up.

If the tradeoff for a title winning standard defense is a relegation standard attack I think it's worth it.

11. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Very poor fare at the MF,saved only by a a bit more box action in the second half,questionable decision going against Treaty with what looked like nailed on pen,later a harsh red card.even Athlones red looked harsh tbf.Despite that it doesnt mask the fact no wins in ten.no goal in ages,very poor football for most of the game,Patchwell was never popular with fans down here and this performace will hardly endear him to the Treaty mass,s.His performance will however only smokescreen our mgt recent efforts with this team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    223 Posts
    Slightly more entertaining game than expected at the Brandywell last night.

Not too many clear cut chances created, and it took a Shels defensive balls-up to get our goal.
    Really frustrating to concede so late on. Probably shouldn't have been allowed get the cross in, but it was well worked goal TBF.

Security-wise, blocks K/L/M had no home fans. Shels fans were in M, so K and L were essentially seat kills. Going forward, leaves the possibility for a large away section, 500+. Can't see any team needing that much though.
    No additional searching going in it seems, but excluding those blocks probably sorts out half the issues anyway. Heard of two arrests. One was for a fan who was standing at the back of the stand, in the walkway at the closed block K, and refusing to move. Stewards removed him, and handed him over to the PSNI. Yes, it's technically a criminal offence, as it's an emergency egress route, but that's unprecedented.
    If the club is taking a hardline on security though, no complaints from me. Things need to change.

One positive, IMO, from having the away fans where they were is the craic you can have with them. Plenty of good natured chants going back and forth between ourselves and the Shels fans. Panto-esque at times, enjoyable stuff.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    never doubted caulfields ability to get results but is the lack of goals any concern for galway fans? things can turn quickly when the margins are as small as they are. no question about work rate or effort under him but 8 goals in 14 is rough enough. they wont finish in the bottom 2 but those numbers are fit for any relegated side since the league went to 10 teams...
    The way I look at it, if you're leaking goals that's much harder to fix.
    7 of our 8 goals this season have come from open play, so obviously being more efficient from set pieces is something that will hopefully change as the season goes on.

We have a run of "easy" games coming up now so there will be a bit more expectation around our games against Sligo, Drogs and Dundalk. We're obviously going to have to approach a home game against Sligo differently to how we've been going into the last few matches. This may be exactly the type of match we end up struggling in though, when we're the side dominating possession and having to make the play.
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    389 Posts
    Do ye play different at home to away? Assumed Caulfield set up the same regardless. Think it was 65/35 possession in the showgrounds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    10 match ban for Dundalk keeper Shelvey for abusing a match official

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    195 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post
    10 match ban for Dundalk keeper Shelvey for abusing a match official
    Statement says he was in breach of the FAI regulations on Racism/Discrimination. Would be interesting to hear what he said but I’d imagine we’ll never find out
    Paaatrick's Agletic

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Should he not be fired by Dundalk?
    That's a serious indiscretion.
    Don't know who the officials were in the game,but was one of the linesperson the female official who's name escapes me? Can't think of an official who's race might be called into question.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    195 Posts
    Don't know who the officials were in the game,but was one of the linesperson the female official whose name escapes me? Can't think of an official whose race might be called into question.
    From LOI Connect…

Referee: Robert Harvey
    1st assistant referee: Dermot Broughton
    2nd assistant referee: Darren Corcoran
    Fourth official: Oliver Moran
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Irish c**t is the rumour...

For the record, the linesman terrible descion is the only reason why Drogheda won that game. It was a clear handball.

You could only say he just did not have the bottle to make the correct call, especially because it was in his line of view and from a set piece.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    349 Posts
    Don't know who the officials were in the game,but was one of the linesperson the female official who's name escapes me? Can't think of an official who's race might be called into question.

Dundalk fan on Twitter reckons he called Harvey an “Irish c**t” which if true is extra stupid and he should probably be released…
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    The way the suspension is being termed by the League makes it look like it’s racist abuse. Odd considering all parties involved are all white. I’m guessing he called Harvey an “Irish C…” which may be discriminatory but isn’t racist. Stupid thing for him to say but ten matches is a bit much for it.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast