Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Games weekend 3rd to 7th May 2024

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    73 Posts
    So, let me get this right, if another player now calls Shelvey ( or any other British player) an English Pr*ck , he should now be sent off and suspended for 10 games?

Should games be stopped and fans giving life time bans if it comes from the stands?

I mean, this is now the standard for racism now.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Balboa View Post
    So, let me get this right, if another player now calls Shelvey ( or any other British player) an English Pr*ck , he should now be sent off and suspended for 10 games?

Should games be stopped and fans giving life time bans if it comes from the stands?

Wasn't there trouble for clubs over fans calling Alan Mannus an orange ba****d? If so you could say that the FAI has made this kind of thing clear for quite a while now. I know for example that the announcement prior to any Bohs match also mentions sectarian abuse next to racism so maybe they are classing it under that.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    And to be fair, Harvey is one awful c**t.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Something else that a player who joined an Irish club owned by an Irish person managed by an Irish manager playing with Irish players jumped to that as an insult. Probably not the type of character you want around your club.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,242 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    The way the suspension is being termed by the League makes it look like it’s racist abuse. Odd considering all parties involved are all white. I’m guessing he called Harvey an “Irish C…” which may be discriminatory but isn’t racist. Stupid thing for him to say but ten matches is a bit much for it.
    Ah to be fair, racism isn't just about skin colour. "No blacks, no dogs, no Irish" is entirely racist for example.

That said, this sounds more like a frustrated rant than any real racism and yeah, I think a 10-game ban is a bit much based on what's been said here. Should get the standard ban for the red card for abusing officials IMO.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    The only purpose of bringing someone’s nationality into an insult is to insult their nationality. There is no other reason to do it. Rob Harvey is a c**t, but not because of the fact that he’s Irish. I know if Shelvey was playing for my club I’d want to see him sent out the door after that, as I see a lot of Dundalk fans are calling for on twitter
    Paaatrick's Agletic

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts

Yes and yes. Please. Welcome to the 21st Century.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Ah to be fair, racism isn't just about skin colour. "No blacks, no dogs, no Irish" is entirely racist for example.

That said, this sounds more like a frustrated rant than any real racism and yeah, I think a 10-game ban is a bit much based on what's been said here. Should get the standard ban for the red card for abusing officials IMO.
    What exactly is real racism/discrimination then, if not deliberately using racist/discriminatory language to insult someone?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,242 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    What exactly is real racism/discrimination then, if not deliberately using racist/discriminatory language to insult someone?
    This sounds to me like a frustrated rant where he wants to seize on any differentiator to amplify the rant. He could equally have called the lino a fat **** or a ginger **** or something like that.

You can't go abusing officials like that and he deserves the red and a ban.

But it's only an insult in the end of the day. Do you not think it's substantially different to saying "No blacks, no dogs, no Irish" or "White only area" or "Catholics can't work in State jobs"? That's real racism for me

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    164 Posts

Apart from the racist/discriminatory abuse, it's also a matter of respect for officials. If a player calls another player a cheat, it's unlikely there'll be a punishment. If they call the referee a cheat, they'll be sent off. So in your example, I'd expect to see the player given a hefty suspension, but less than if they said it to a referee as Shelvey did and as Dundalk, to their credit, have accepted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    This wouldn't happen in in sunday football in england, you are not in England. Shut up you Irish Cnut! I dunno, zero tolerance is necessary. Idiotic suff by Shelvey. Ginger halfwit......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    653 Posts
    Calling Harvey an irish can't is a factual statement on two counts. The world these days i dispair.
    Maybe Harvey identifies as an Irish ****?? Has anyone considered that as an option?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Calling Harvey an irish can't is a factual statement on two counts. The world these days i dispair.
    Maybe Harvey identifies as an Irish ****?? Has anyone considered that as an option?
    If you are seriously standing over ; that calling Harvey an Irish Cnut is a factual statement then my view is that you should be suspended from this forum for the same time period as Shelvey’s ban.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    The owrds were said, they make little sense in the context of someone playing for and Irish club in League of Ireland. If his suspension was say 3 games, Dundalk should add games for his pure stupidity and lack of insight.

We all have wintessed worse, thats not to say it is ever acceptable. Maybe id call for a softer ban for Dundlk ye could be all for the 10 match ban for another clubs' players.

Dundalk have done the right thing by accepting the ban and will educate the playe etc.

It does bring in to question former slaps on the wrist for similar indescretions and it sets a precedence going forward.

Who was the Pats player and bunch of years ago that was in trouble for passing comment to a black player just out of interest?

Supposedly Shelvey was warned initially at the time but didnt back down Comparison was made of refereeing from other leagues that opened the door for a stupid slanging match.

We do need to keep standards on this high but and there is always a but, previoua conduct should f etcctor in.

How about for such incidents 3 match ban with 7 susoended if the player engages in a discrimintion awareness course

Munro back in which would please plenty.

I expect the FAI to clamp down on anything and everything in relation to bigitry

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    653 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    If you are seriously standing over ; that calling Harvey an Irish Cnut is a factual statement then my view is that you should be suspended from this forum for the same time period as Shelvey’s ban.

Calm down will you for Gods sake.
    There isnt a week goes by on this forum or others where Harvey isnt called some insult or other including earlier in this thread and he is Irish,
    I think a ten game ban is a massive over reaction, fine if the ref was black and he called him the n word or something but 10 for an insulting jibe between two lads from ireland and England is OTT.
    It is however typical of the way the world has gone.
    Nestas suggestion of a 3 game ban and suspended balance would have been good enough while also making the point he was an eejit.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Who was the Pats player and bunch of years ago that was in trouble for passing comment to a black player just out of interest?
    I don’t recall any Pats player being in trouble for racist comments in the last 15-20 years anyways so not sure who you’re talking about. I do recall Jason McGuinness being at Bohs and racially abusing Sligo's Romould Boco. Then Sligo later signed McGuinness only after checking with Boco if he was ok with the signing.

Other incidents involving Pats players was, 2 black players being racially abused by CSKA Sofia fans in Tallaght in 2022 and the second half of a game in the Showgrounds being delayed by the ref after David Odumosu was racially abused by a Sligo fan from behind the goals when going out for the second half, again in 2022
    Paaatrick's Agletic

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    Other incidents involving Pats players was, 2 black players being racially abused by CSKA Sofia fans in Tallaght in 2022 and the second half of a game in the Showgrounds being delayed by the ref after David Odumosu was racially abused by a Sligo fan from behind the goals when going out for the second half, again in 2022
    I think what doesn't sit right with me is that Shelvey is getting a bigger punishment/attention for this incident than the others. It appears as if racism against non-Irish individuals is merely met with performative consequences, such as rhetorical statements, while actual punishment is reserved for those who make (more minor to me) missteps when interacting with an Irish person - like a weird power play.

For the record, Shelvey should be getting a suspension. You simply can not go up to the ref and calling him a c**t. No matter what, you should face sanctions for that.

But reading through a lot of the comments, it reads far that this is getting back at an English lad more than anything. If the comments came from a player of another nationality, would there be this furore? The whole thing has a weird nationalist bent on it for me.

10 games is nearly a 1/3 of a season, and for a player that is trying to rebuild his career here, that is a hell of a sanction. (Not that he is a loss to Dundalk either though)

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    I think what doesn't sit right with me is that Shelvey is getting a bigger punishment/attention for this incident than the others. It appears as if racism against non-Irish individuals is merely met with performative consequences, such as rhetorical statements, while actual punishment is reserved for those who make (more minor to me) missteps when interacting with an Irish person - like a weird power play.

For the record, Shelvey should be getting a suspension. You simply can not go up to the ref and calling him a c**t. No matter what, you should face sanctions for that.

But reading through a lot of the comments, it reads far that this is getting back at an English lad more than anything. If the comments came from a player of another nationality, would there be this furore? The whole thing has a weird nationalist bent on it for me.

10 games is nearly a 1/3 of a season, and for a player that is trying to rebuild his career here, that is a hell of a sanction. (Not that he is a loss to Dundalk either though)
    The two incidents quoted are different however as they’re fan related and in both cases the fan(s) wasn’t identified. A couple of months ago a 9 year old in Richmond said a racist comment to a shels coach and was caught and identified by fans around him and he’s not let back in the ground, while the club also spoke to his parents regarding educating him on the matter.

The McGuinness incident, drew a 5 game ban: https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soc...buse-1.1227012 Although it did happen 15 years ago so the sanction has very likely changed since then. Based on the statement, it seems that 10 games is the punishment for this now and Shelvey is just the first to receive the ban
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    The two incidents quoted are different however as they’re fan related and in both cases the fan(s) wasn’t identified. A couple of months ago a 9 year old in Richmond said a racist comment to a shels coach and was caught and identified by fans around him and he’s not let back in the ground, while the club also spoke to his parents regarding educating him on the matter.

The McGuinness incident, drew a 5 game ban: https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soc...buse-1.1227012 Although it did happen 15 years ago so the sanction has very likely changed since then. Based on the statement, it seems that 10 games is the punishment for this now and Shelvey is just the first to receive the ban
    Those are fair points. I forgot about that Shels/Pats incident.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    653 Posts
    I suppose the problem is its hard to set rules and leave room for ambiguity but I still think 10 games for an English guy calling a guy irish with an insult attached is not the same as the racism that we would acknowledge as wrong or wronger if u get my meaning.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast