Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekend 17th of May to 20th May

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Fair point but who could have predicted Clarke, Farrugia, byrne, gaffney, kavanagh, mcAneff would have been injured????
    Bar Gaffney they’re all made of glass so it can’t have been that big a surprise really
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    511 Posts
    The scenes at the end of Bohs v Palestine last night was an absolute tonic, beautiful to see how much it meant to those girls. Best tenner I've ever spent. Fair play to everyone involved in making that happen.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Yeah fair play to all at bohs for this gesture.
    I wouldn't normally be into mixing sport and politics,but the situation in Palestine goes way beyond politics and demands attention,and this move by bohs will hopefully continue that attention seeking work.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts
    Yeah politics and sports is a difficult one but in this situation it certainly adds a human face to what's happening there and that's only a good thing. In the world of social media and constant news cycle you can become a bit numb to the death counts and news reports of famine etc. It sounds horrid to say but I've spent the majority of my life hearing about "war" in the middle east, war on terror, trocaire appeals for famine and a plethora of other things. Seeing actual people affected by these things just trying to do something we all take for granted just makes it so much more relatable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    653 Posts
    Honestly dont agree with Politics in Sport at all.
    Bohs make a habit of it , Palistine is one , getting Unions on their shirts is another.
    Im sure Jewish supporters and Business people that are involved with Bohs wouldnt be thrilled about either.
    Making no judgements on the issues but you are a football club and as such taking positions that impact on your supporters...i just dont see that is neccessary...........and im not debating the rights or wrongs of the issues..its like the Moscow olympics being boycotted over Afganistan and then the LA games in retaliation, its just not right imo for sports to mix itself up in politics

If every Olmpics or Worldccup was boycotted over some political issue we would never have an event. Ther is always somethng going on in the world and once Sport involves itself you are bunched
    Last edited by sbgawa; 16/05/2024 at 10:24 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    511 Posts
    Life, football, politics and community are intrinsically linked. I find any argument about keeping politics out of football a nonsense honestly.

Plenty of Jewish people are very much behind the Palestinian cause because of their own history. It's brave to take positions on something difficult and they should be applauded, they do so knowing they may lose some business and backing as a result. I wish more people and entities showed that same bravery.

I do agree that we'd basically have to boycott everything at this stage because of how hypocritical and problematic so many world governing bodies actions are, and the whole thing is basically a cluster**** that I certainly don't know how to navigate. I understand it's so much bigger than my understanding of the world, but I think it is of massive importance that when we see something terrible happen we say and do what we can, evil wins when good people do nothing and all that.

I'll leave it there because I know most people are not here to be arguing about geopolitics, but from my perspective sport and politics are linked at every level, it's nice to believe we can have safe havens free of having to worry about the bad and complicated stuff, but that's not how the world is anymore, or probably ever has been.

7. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts
    Honestly dont agree with Politics in Sport at all.
    Bohs make a habit of it , Palistine is one , getting Unions on their shirts is another.
    Im sure Jewish supporters and Business people that are involved with Bohs wouldnt be thrilled about either.
    Making no judgements on the issues but you are a football club and as such taking positions that impact on your supporters...i just dont see that is neccessary...........and im not debating the rights or wrongs of the issues..its like the Moscow olympics being boycotted over Afganistan and then the LA games in retaliation, its just not right imo for sports to mix itself up in politics

If every Olmpics or Worldccup was boycotted over some political issue we would never have an event. Ther is always somethng going on in the world and once Sport involves itself you are bunched
    You can disagree with politics in sports but it's in pretty much every aspect of the game. It always has been and it's not exclusive to football. Sport washing has been going on since pre WW2 with Nazi Germany hosting the olympics. This type of thing still happens. Should we only let petro states & bad actors use sports to try to promote their cause out of some feigned moral superiority? Or should we try to use a game loved by billions of people to bring positive change to the world?

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    653 Posts
    Will a Stephen Kenny led PAts begin the ascent to top spot tonight??
    Considering how poor the general standard is i reckon Kenny wont have ruled out a title push this year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    879 Posts
    Any news on the backroom appointments?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    Will a Stephen Kenny led PAts begin the ascent to top spot tonight??
    Considering how poor the general standard is i reckon Kenny wont have ruled out a title push this year.
    We won’t challenge for the title. Seven losses already is just too many. Still in the hunt for Europe I reckon, particularly if we get a SK bounce. And of course making the cup f8nal is starting to become something of a habit, so that would be nice again.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,253 Posts
    In fairness, nine points off the lead approaching halfway isn't insurmountable.

Losing lots of games only really matters if someone else is winning lots. Which they're not

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    354 Posts
    Dundalk/Rovers delayed till 8pm because of the crash on the M50.
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,253 Posts
    That could impact crowds at quite a few games I'd guess. Any of the Dublin/Wicklow/Louth games potentially

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    354 Posts
    Harps score after about 14 seconds in the UCD Bowl,don’t think I’ve ever seen a quicker goal in the LOI ….

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,253 Posts
    1-1 now though

Already six goals around the grounds inside the first ten minutes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    332 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Harps score after about 14 seconds in the UCD Bowl,don’t think I’ve ever seen a quicker goal in the LOI ….
    Quickest I’ve ever seen. 2-1 Harps now. Missed the goal. Decent match.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts
    Watching the Bohs v Sligo game I'd be a bit worried if I was a Sligo fan. They don't seem to have much going forward. Bohs are very limited in attack but are at least offer some danger from set pieces. Not sure where the goals will come from without Mata.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,352 Posts
    Two points dropped by harps that. Would probably have taken a draw before the game but conceded some incredibly soft goals and gifted UCD a point.

Improving in the opposition end of the pitch but starting to leak some soft goals.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    186 Posts
    Galway have made 6 subs tonight according to FAI Connect, Flashscore, their own Twitter page.

One of them a concussion sub or is there miraculous late turnaround win going to be for nothing and a win awarded to Drogs?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    354 Posts
    When Harps score a penalty to go 3-2 up on 88 minutes at UCD the only question is how we’ll manage to not win,stupid ground for us never win there,UCD are what they always are in the First Division,very competitive,some handy players and will be up in the playoffs for sure,draw not a bad result just disappointing not to hold on ……

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast