Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Westlife top of music charts/Westlife discussion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The add on TV for that Westlife song is a joke:

"Every so often a song comes along that catches the heart of a nation"

What a load of sh1te. Its a terrible song, they're a terrible band and an embarrasment to our country.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Àt least you're not from Sligo .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by finlma
    Its a terrible song, they're a terrible band and an embarrasment to our country.
    In fairness, you cant really say their an embarassement to Ireland. I mean, they're a boyband, that's all, it doesn't make them an embarassment just cos you dont like them. Some people do/did like them, and that's what's made them big

I'm not a Westlife fan either but I wouldn't say they're an embarrasment
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stars
    he is a rock star.....its just that his record label have him doing rock-pop.

I am very indifferent to the likes of westlife and tabby. I don't get 'upset' over songs I don't like getting in the charts. In fact, I honestly couldn't tell you any of tabby's songs; but a sentence like that is a crock of ****, IMO.

You become a rock artist by playing/releasing rock songs, the same as any other genre. If you're happy to take the major label pay cheque and release pop songs, then you're more of a record company monkey than a rockstar. This is my opinion across the board, not a personal attack on tabby or anyone.

TBH, I've more respect for those people that stay true to their beliefs and go the independent/self-release route, whether their actual music is to my liking or not.
    Last edited by noby; 01/11/2005 at 3:15 PM. Reason: spelling and punctuation
    Ceci n'est pas une signature

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Exactly Noby,great post

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    ya agree with that noby,but you can see where im coming from cant you...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Josh Grobhan does a version of "You raise Me Up". It was my aunt's favourite song while she was terminally ill.
    Strange for my mum hearing it on TV now, but the westlife version is not as good I'm realiably informed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noby
    I am very indifferent to the likes of westlife and tabby. I don't get 'upset' over songs I don't like getting in the charts. In fact, I honestly couldn't tell you any of tabby's songs; but a sentence like that is a crock of ****, IMO.

You become a rock artist by playing/releasing rock songs, the same as any other genre. If you're happy to take the major label pay cheque and release pop songs, then you're more of a record company monkey than a rockstar. This is my opinion across the board, not a personal attack on tabby or anyone.

TBH, I've more respect for those people that stay true to their beliefs and go the independent/self-release route, whether their actual music is to my liking or not.
    so really 2 years ago you would have thought tabby was a respectable artist if you had heard of petronella

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gustavo
    so really 2 years ago you would have thought tabby was a respectable artist if you had heard of petronella

Probably, yes. Not saying I'd like his music though. Never heard of Petronella.

Look it, he's done his slog, and now he might be quite content to do what he's doing now. Best of luck to him. I was speaking in general terms on 'the stars' comment
    Ceci n'est pas une signature

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    My ex girlfriend is from Sligo and loved Westlife. She once declared (at a party) that they sold more records that The Chilli Peppers, I nearly f-ing died of embarassment.
    Bye bye Stan. Go off back to collecting cones you useless git.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldini98
    I nearly f-ing died of embarassment.
    well at least you dont have to carry that burden around with you everywhere like us sligo folk do

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldini98
    My ex girlfriend is from Sligo and loved Westlife. She once declared (at a party) that they sold more records that The Chilli Peppers, I nearly f-ing died of embarassment.
    You might have died of embarassment but the fundamental fact is that in sales figures she had a point. Even if the Peppers are way better than Westlife.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts

Red face Westlife celebrate two weeks at top of charts

Boy band Westlife have held on to the number one spot in the charts for a second week with "You Raise Me Up", the Official UK Charts Company said on Sunday.

The cover version of a ballad originally performed by Californian singer Josh Groban is Westlife's first official single release since February 2004.

American singer-producer Pharrell was the week's highest new entry, claiming

the number three slot with "Can I Have It Like That", featuring singer Gwen Stefani.
    Also new at number four was R&B singer Craig David with "Don't Love You No More."

Glamrock act Goldfrapp grabbed the only other new entry in the top ten with their "Number 1" falling some way short of that position at number nine.

Sheffield rockers Arctic Monkeys remained in second slot with "I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor", while all-girl trio the Sugababes slipped two places to number five with "Push The Button".

Los Angles burlesque act Pussycat Dolls celebrated nine weeks in the top ten for their "Don't Cha", featuring New York hip hop artist Busta Rhymes, which was steady at number six.

Robbie Williams was down two places at seven with "Tripping", Kate Bush's "King Of The Mountain" fell four to number eight and American actress-singer Hilary Duff's "Wake Up" was three lower in tenth place.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/06112005/32...op-charts.html
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

International Prospect Green Tribe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligoman
    Boy band Westlife have held on to the number one spot in the charts for a second week with "You Raise Me Up", the Official UK Charts Company said on Sunday.

The cover version of a ballad originally performed by Californian singer Josh Groban is Westlife's first official single release since February 2004.

American singer-producer Pharrell was the week's highest new entry, claiming

the number three slot with "Can I Have It Like That", featuring singer Gwen Stefani.
    Also new at number four was R&B singer Craig David with "Don't Love You No More."

Glamrock act Goldfrapp grabbed the only other new entry in the top ten with their "Number 1" falling some way short of that position at number nine.

Sheffield rockers Arctic Monkeys remained in second slot with "I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor", while all-girl trio the Sugababes slipped two places to number five with "Push The Button".

Los Angles burlesque act Pussycat Dolls celebrated nine weeks in the top ten for their "Don't Cha", featuring New York hip hop artist Busta Rhymes, which was steady at number six.

Robbie Williams was down two places at seven with "Tripping", Kate Bush's "King Of The Mountain" fell four to number eight and American actress-singer Hilary Duff's "Wake Up" was three lower in tenth place.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/06112005/32...op-charts.html
    I think you're secretly proud of them sligoman, you do post a lot about them.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Tribe
    I think you're secretly proud of them sligoman, you do post a lot about them.....
    , It's music, so I posted about it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CollegeTillIDie
    You might have died of embarassment but the fundamental fact is that in sales figures she had a point. Even if the Peppers are way better than Westlife.
    Until you come on here and back that up with some figures and stats -you're certifiably talking out your hole!

RHCP (not my type of band btw) have been consistent sellers globally since around 1988 and have been releasing records since 1984.

On the other hand there are entire territories of the planet where Westlife (that stupid, stupid, silly name looks more like a fcukin building society everytime I see it written down) don't have a record deal so don't even release records. Rather debilitating in a quest to outsell anyone.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    less of the Westlife bashing Please..
    Ya they are a boy band and don't write their own songs..
    Get over it
    At the end of the day they're 4 good-looking Irish lads who can hold a note and have taken advantage of that and they have done very well for themselves..
    Fair play to them

If you don't like them that's fine its your choice but no need to put them down.. Even they will admit they're not the best band in the world..

There is way too many begrudgers in this country

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    only 2 of them can hold a note ....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eire06
    less of the Westlife bashing Please..
    Ya they are a boy band and don't write their own songs..
    Get over it
    At the end of the day they're 4 good-looking Irish lads who can hold a note and have taken advantage of that and they have done very well for themselves..
    Fair play to them

If you don't like them that's fine its your choice but no need to put them down.. Even they will admit they're not the best band in the world..

There is way too many begrudgers in this country
    Garbage and nonsense.
    Fcuk the begrudger begrudgers I say!!!

I'll never get this concept of "ah sure aren't they Irish and isn't it great".
    It is Not.

I have no more empathy for them or no more desire to see them do well than I would have for the owners and profiteers of an Irish Nuclear Powerstation.

Both are bad for the environment. The latter -physical, the former -cultural.

They and the pop culture that they feed into and from give lousy, lousy messages and example -particularly to kids, on what is expected of them. Conform, tow the line, be one of the crowd and don't try to be different, if you do try to be different you will be punished emotionally and financially. Find the center of the road and don't digress or deviate from it.

Big of them and magnanimous too to not think of themselves as "the best band in the world"

A "band", by the way, by definition is a number of musicians performing pieces of music in concert. Westlife and their ilk fall far short of the mark to be described as anything like a "band".

They are something closer to a "male vocal and dance cabaret revue act" though I somehow don't think smash hits will be publishing the results of their Battle of the male vocal and dance cabaret revue acts any time soon.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Well said, I hate those fat dancing monkeys!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast