Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dunphy and Giles

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gustavo
    was gas too when one of the English teams were playing Betis to hear Dunphy try to pronounce Joaquin
    Wakien is right.
    What did he say?
    Joe a quinn?
    Joachim?
    Wa quinn?
    Roy Keane?

Liam, isn't Roa Keane great on the wing for Betis?
    No, it's Arsenal Eamon. The lads name is Arsenal. He's a great player.
    City definetly have the best bands playing at half-time.

O'Bama - "Eerah yeah, I'd say we can alright!"

G.O'Mahoney Trapattoni'll sort ém out!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Dunphy is contraversial and fun to watch but Giles? He hasn't a clue about modern day football and doesn't do any research.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Risteard
    Wakien is right.
    What did he say?
    Joe a quinn?
    Joachim?
    Wa quinn?
    Roy Keane?

Liam, isn't Roa Keane great on the wing for Betis?
    No, it's Arsenal Eamon. The lads name is Arsenal. He's a great player.
    yeah it was something like Joa quinn

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    its WHACK - EEEN.

Giles outlook is just to the basics right... that was what you had to do back in the day but things have moved on a lot. But its good that he in on the telly, the other pundits play off him a lot and dunphy and Brady arent slow to disagree.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    I do Spanish. It's something like Wha-keen.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy
    Dunphy is contraversial and fun to watch but Giles? He hasn't a clue about modern day football and doesn't do any research.
    I lost any respect i had left for Giles when he dismissed out of hand any notion that might be possible (in the future) to keep kids at home & learn football in Ireland before going abroad at 19-20. The only football Giles sees is the stuff he paid to watch & i think he'd prefer to play golf & then watch highlights than actually watch live game as preparation...
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Thats right,

i heard him on newstalk 106fm one night having a go about players staying at home. I sent in a few messages to the newstalk crew and told them to tell giles to get a grip.

He was slating the Eircom LEague and slating any notion of football academies at home. Clearly the man has lost touch with modern day football.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thejollyrodger
    Giles outlook is just to the basics right... that was what you had to do back in the day but things have moved on a lot.
    Giles was Irelands most intelligent footballer, superb passing ability with either foot and he was a hard fekker, back to basics my arshe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Giles made me laugh quite a few times on Newstalk. On one occasion after Spurs signed Santini up to take over as manager after the Euro's:

Ger: "So, John, what do you think of Spurs' knew manager, Jacques Santini?"
    John: "Seriously? I didn't hear anything about it".
    Ger: "Yeah, it was announced today".
    John: "Oh! Tottenham seem to be changing everything now. Who's Santini by the way?"

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    It a risky business if you want sound opinions from outside Giles's radar.
    But he good at analyzing what ever game he is watching and at his best when co commentating. Especially that Liverpool Chelsea game from earlier on this season. It had a years worth of Giles gems including the 5 minute diatribe on Drogba, diving and rolling around. Generally he stripped that game, Mourinho and Chelsea apart from all the hype and wasn't impressed by the negativity.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Here is a story from behind the scenes.
    http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/B...rath_interview
    After the break Bill O'Herlihy was coming to Paul Mc Grath to ask about Kevin Campbell. Paul realised there was nothing on earth he could say about Kevin Campbell. Nothing that sounded right. Nothing that a TV company would pay him for saying. Nothing. So, he turned to Johnny Giles. 'Sorry Johnny, what can I say about Kevin Campbell?' Giles saw the sheer panic in those eyes.
    "So Johnny leaned over and said, 'why don't you just say that since he came back from Turkey he's looking very lean, he's playing well and he's very fit - it's obviously done him good'." Thanks Johnny.

A minute later O'Herlihy makes the throw. Paul McGrath catches. "Well Bill, since Kevin has come back from Turkey, he's looking really fit and he's shed a few pounds. He's playing well and obviously it's done him some good." Bill nods. Looks to Giles.
    "I'd have to agree with what Paul has just said there, Bill. He looks magnificent."
    PAUL McGRATH smiles at the memory. "How generous is that?" he asks. "Here's me a young upstart in the other chair. He gives me the line and then agrees with me to make me look good. He's brilliant at what he does. A really lovely man."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    thats a nice touch by giles fair play to him

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Giles knows loads about football.........research???????? he is john giles for jaysus sake!!!! I mean for gods sake...people think if he cant pull every name off the top of his head that means he somehow doesnt know anything about football...its called getting old..he isnt some 10 year old swapping football stickers in the schoolyard...listen to his newstalk programme. he knows a hell of a lot about football. as for the comment about giles saying arsenal and man u are in decline... If you dont agree with what giles,brady or dunphy says then well fair enough its an opinion and you dont have to agree with it. but at least you get an opinion on rte and not just banal cliches. credit where credits due.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by klein4
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Giles knows loads about football.........research???????? he is john giles for jaysus sake!!!! I mean for gods sake...people think if he cant pull every name off the top of his head that means he somehow doesnt know anything about football...its called getting old..he isnt some 10 year old swapping football stickers in the schoolyard...listen to his newstalk programme. he knows a hell of a lot about football. as for the comment about giles saying arsenal and man u are in decline... If you dont agree with what giles,brady or dunphy says then well fair enough its an opinion and you dont have to agree with it. but at least you get an opinion on rte and not just banal cliches. credit where credits due.
    Spot on. He knows how football should be played and is a good analyst. It doesn't bother me that he can't name every player in every CL team.
    "I'd rather play in front of a full house than an empty crowd" Johnny Giles

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir
    Giles was Irelands most intelligent footballer, superb passing ability with either foot and he was a hard fekker, back to basics my arshe.
    obviously you dont listen to him. Listen to what he says next time. He always says stuff like, the player isnt doing this right, he isnt defending properly, he isnt making the passes, he is out of position etc.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Glies, Brady and Dunphy are a class above whats on offer on Sky, BBC, UTV.
    When Brady is between the two there is also an added tension. I suppose we have been watching them years and feel that we know themwell. Dunphy can rant and we dont take it seriously etc. Dunphy is great entertainment, Giles is a good analyst and Brady is excellent although is anti Man Utd.
    Like the other night Giles and Dunphy talking about what managers say at half time, that unless the job is done on the training ground first, the managers words will have little or no effect. Simple stuff, but stuff you wont hear elsewhere.
    RTE also use their time well, knowing that people do tune in to listen to the boys as well as the game. Where BBC and ITV dont spend as much time after the match talking or analysing the game.
    As for Skys coverage its just overkill, everyone afraid to say anything bad about their team becaiuse they are too connected to the clubs involved. Thats another reason why the RTE lads are great in that they dont care whose toes they tread on as they have no vested interests(bar Brady and Dunphy re Keane).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm sorry, Giles was a fabulous player but most people on here no more about modern (I think you missed that word in my last post) day football then him. Listen to his Newstalk programme? That's all about the modern day football I'm talking about. He'll ramble on about "well, in my day you couldn't do that", "John Charles would run rings around any defender playing today". He's fine telling us about what a certain defender should be doing in a certain situation when analysing a match on RTE but his show on Newstalk is poor.

People text in asking what he thinks of Liverpool's chances, etc. He's not the type of person to be asking that to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think his newstalk show is brilliant. do you not find it interesting to hear someone like giles talk about his career?
    and in fairness to him the interviewer usually asks him bout the past
    I would be interested to hear who you would say is better?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I think his newstalk show is brilliant. do you not find it interesting to hear someone like giles talk about his career?
    and in fairness to him the interviewer usually asks him bout the past
    I would be interested to hear who you would say is better?
    All I said was the following:
    "He hasn't a clue about modern day football and doesn't do any research."

I believe that to be true.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    no i was genuinely interested in who people thought were good pundits and why...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast