First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Strabane_Harp
    well some of them
    Aye, poor Mr A. He'll get there yet

Mr B could have had these five pages on his own exploits...and then there was Baird
    Finn Harps Dot Com
    www.finnharps.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    League Cup Final on New Years Day a few years back now.

I was working in Supermacs in Galway, and was working the night of New Years Eve - was dropped home after work about 6am. The busses were leaving from McDonalds on the Headford Rd, about 10 mins walk from where I was living at the time.

So - just enough time for breakfast before heading down. I dozed off while eating ... but while it cost me about 15 mins thought I'd be all right as the buses were leaving between 7am and 730. Walking down four buses passed me on the road, and there's me not worried in the slightest, as I assumed the last one left at 730.

Got there to find one other bloke with his 5 or 6 year old son. Everyone else and all the buses were gone.

So we were faced with trying to find our own way to Cork or miss the game. We ended up talking someone into giving us a lift as far as Clarenbridge to try and catch the bus. No chance.

It was the first of 9 different lifts that New Years Day morning. There was one long wait in the middle of nowhere in Co Limerick in the snow showers when we thought we'd not make it ...

The however some Kerry lad stopped, he was home from the US for Christmas, heard the story, went on a major detour of his own journey, and dropped us outside Turners Cross. We'd only missed about 10 minutes of the match. That bloke was a legend.

Oh and we won! The father and son told the story in the Galway Advertiser the following week!

We got a spare seat on the bus back and I did see some sleep eventually after all the celebrations.

Those were the days!
    Last edited by exiled_gufc_fan; 15/12/2005 at 6:50 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harpskid
    Aye, poor Mr A. He'll get there yet

Mr B could have had these five pages on his own exploits...and then there was Baird

memories of bein left with baird in a nightclub in cobh, he enlightened me on his views on the evolution theory and how they relate to fota island

Mr B and Baird must be brought back
    Finn Harps Belfast Supporters

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Although not a crazy thing for the club there is one other tale about Mr B that just sums the man up(you need to know him folks).
    Harps were playing down in Dalyer and I went over to Mr B to ask him for a look at his new van . He informed me he had "parked in Castleblaney and got the express as there would be no parking in Dublin"
    yguygiuygi7f65654sub

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    I would have thought the person in question would have mentioned this by now but as he hasn't, I'll shame him

The poster in question was living and working in London at the time. He was flying back and forth for matches and had flown back to London after the final League game, a win against Waterford which secured us a relegation play off against Limerick.

He assured us that there was no way he was coming over. Myself and two others set off in the car from Belfast heading from Limerick at some ridiculous.
    One of the others in the car had been talking to the fella on the phone the night before and he was heading out for a staff do

We got to a petrol station outside Limerick and next thing yer man, half cut, is on the phone telling us he came home from the night out and decided to book himself a flight from London to Shannon, didn't bother going to bed and went straight to the airport.

Fair play to him, he was totally focked when we met him in Limerick. He made the match and then flew home. Only problem was that he had to put up with Tom the Gom in the Pike Rovers clubhouse for an hour or two.

There is a part two to the saga as well, which involves driving from Derry to London and then back again
    Tifo poles, sausage rolls and a few goals.

The Brandy Blogs, back and blogging the 2010 season

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    derry to london and london to.......................

im sure you can all see where that one was going

only messing
    Finn Harps Belfast Supporters

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    164 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by exiled_gufc_fan
    I was working in Supermacs in Galway, and was working the night of New Years Eve - was dropped home after work about 6am.
    That's the craziest thing anyone's said on this thread yet! Supermacs on New Year's Eve. Nasty.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maribor
    I would have thought the person in question would have mentioned this by now but as he hasn't, I'll shame him
    I'm intrigued - was this the same journey as the puking out the window of the car? Mebbe that was Longford. Hard to tell one place from the other right enough.

As for the Harps men, I'd imagine calling yerself a Mr.<insert forename letter> was a bit mad - but then I used to post pictures of B.A Baracus on the eircomleague.net forum thinking that was funny too.....
    Last edited by EireBadBoy; 17/12/2005 at 12:52 AM.
    I'd rather die laughing than trying!

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    The whole Mr Man thing was a spectacularly failed attempt to conceal the identities of the main protagonists in a travelogue I wrote about a trip to Waterford 4 or 5 years ago.

I was reading a lot of Joseph Conrad at the time and he commonly used Mr with one initial for characters, so that's where that came from!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Galway Harps
    The whole Mr Man thing was a spectacularly failed attempt to conceal the identities of the main protagonists in a travelogue I wrote about a trip to Waterford 4 or 5 years ago.

I was reading a lot of Joseph Conrad at the time and he commonly used Mr with one initial for characters, so that's where that came from!
    And it this how the Mr.Men on tour flag came about too?
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sligoman
    And it this how the Mr.Men on tour flag came about too?
    Yeah, Misters D and R made the two Mr Men flags.
    Finn Harps Dot Com
    www.finnharps.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EireBadBoy
    I'm intrigued - was this the same journey as the puking out the window of the car? Mebbe that was Longford. Hard to tell one place from the other right enough.
    Naw, the Longford story is another one for another day

That Longford game was the same season right enough. Tuesday night game and we drove from Belfast to the game.

When we arrived we met an Italian fan, who is a mad Derry fan, and he had flown in especially for the game, driven from Dublin and was flying home two days later. His appearance marked our first victory at Flancare!

Whilst not for my club, I suffered a collapsed lung at the Ireland v Albania game due to excessive celebrations when Keane scored in the last few minutes.
    Tifo poles, sausage rolls and a few goals.

The Brandy Blogs, back and blogging the 2010 season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    quit my job, so as not to miss this years title run in.

its going to be a cold cold christmas, but i ahve next summer to look forward to
    Your Chairperson,
    Gavin
    Membership Advisory Board
    "Ex Bardus , Vicis"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maribor

The poster in question was living and working in London at the time. He was flying back and forth for matches and had flown back to London after the final League game, a win against Waterford which secured us a relegation play off against Limerick.

He assured us that there was no way he was coming over. Myself and two others set off in the car from Belfast heading from Limerick at some ridiculous.
    One of the others in the car had been talking to the fella on the phone the night before and he was heading out for a staff do

We got to a petrol station outside Limerick and next thing yer man, half cut, is on the phone telling us he came home from the night out and decided to book himself a flight from London to Shannon, didn't bother going to bed and went straight to the airport.

Fair play to him, he was totally focked when we met him in Limerick. He made the match and then flew home. Only problem was that he had to put up with Tom the Gom in the Pike Rovers clubhouse for an hour or two.

There is a part two to the saga as well, which involves driving from Derry to London and then back again
    My exploits pale into insignificance compared with many of the above stories.

However, to continue the story above, I returned to London from Limerick on the Weds, having resigned from my job in part due to difficulty in attending matches, flew to Belfast on the Friday, drove to Derry, picked up a borrowed estate car, left Derry at 4am on Sunday, drove non-stop to London arriving 9pm Sunday. Worked Monday to Friday (missing the Harps away leg playoff final midweek). Finished work on the Friday, packed the car up with all my worldly goods, left London at 9pm on the Friday night, drove overnight to Holyhead, delayed ferry to Dun Laoghaire, drove up to Derry arriving around 45 mins before the memorable Derry v Harps 2nd leg playoff final....

Don't regret moving back at all. Getting to see 90% of Derry's matches well worth uprooting career etc etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Its not the craziest thing said but having to travel to monaghan every week to see dundalk play home games was crazy , the worst won was when we played monaghan at there picth and dundalk were the home team in the home dugout and all .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Aw but we looked after you well Davey and didnt charge u as much as your fellow Louthers.....

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harpskid
    Yeah, Misters D and R made the two Mr Men flags.
    Actually, both were painted on my kitchen floor under the watchful (and somewhat exasperated) eye of the good Mrs T.

Made the tricolour one for the trip to Basel in 2003.

That travelougue trip of Mr A's is still about the web somewhere and relevant to this thread.

T

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    It's actually on the old FBTN site. See http://homepage.eircom.net/~rdcomput.../finnatics.htm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fbtn
    I heard that one of the Drogheda fans that was in OZ, flew in from Sydney for the week of the cup final and back again. Fair play to him! I'm sure he isn't regretting it.
    I think he's on BigSoccer.com's board and that I have a verbal war with him, just like with all the other Aussies. Let's say they can't stand me f(or being the only to not swallow their arrogant comments on the Pacific teams), and I can't stand them (for giving the comments in the first place). If this lad is who I think he is, we do know each other

I haven't done that many crazy things for my teams, but I'm a poor working class dude Craziest was probably back in Belgium when I went to the furthest away game of the year despite having 40 degrees flu, unfortunately the stadium (over 150 miles away) didn't have a roof and it rained cats and dogs which was a bad coincidence giving the fever I had...
    Visit my favourite teams :

www.kvo.be - www.shelbournefc.ie - www.rosenborg.info

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast