Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: The Irish Alamo saved

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Irish Alamo saved

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/6280707.stm

I’ve so got used to the developers bulldozing our history (viking Dublin, the Georgian town houses and only last week a 1500 year old underground passage being covered over by the M3) that this has come as a bit of a surprise; having spent years establishing a reputation as ruthless developers, mercilessly sacrificing Irish history and the rural landscape at the alter of the Celtic Tiger, the Irish Government seems to have become a bit sentimental and has declared 16 Moore St a national monument. What’s going on? Are they getting a bit sensitive in their old age or perhaps it's just because there's a few big centenaries only a decade away? They’re apparently planning another march this Easter too, I'd got used to them not giving a **** about such emotional things.
    "...and it's Charlie Chaplin on the wing..."

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    iirc it's not as straight forward as saving it as a National Monument - there's all kinds of property developers involved trying to block each other and cpo's and such nonsense. I wouldn't take it at face value without researching it - pheonix back issues would be a good place to start
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.