Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie
yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssss ...and no.

Paisley has manouvered himself into a **** or get off the pot position that I'm not sure he himself is comfortable with. If he's nothing else he is charismatic ...I've heard it said that, in plain conversation, he could charm the knickers off a nun.

But can he be a statesman? I'm guessing he cannot because he'll consider it weakness. Having passed up the opportunity to take a chance and actually offer leadership to his people he will retire with his reputation intact as some sort of a Carson re-incarnate who kept the gate shut.

In doing so he will hobble whoever comes after him -possibly junior - who won't be able to run from the deal or the talks table forever and who'll ultimately be faced with former paramilitaries getting as clean a bill of health as possible from the IMC and the PSNI. Any move his successor makes in that scenario will be regarded as a softening of the DUP position and a retreat from the 'Big Mans' resolve. It's that successor who will be haunted by 'Never, Never, Never.'
Absolutely bang on the mark there, whoever follow's in Iano's shoes will be stuck between a rock and a hard place while Paisley's legendary status(in his peoples eyes) will be copperfastened