Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

View Poll Results: After his prevarication would you like to see Kevin Nolan play for Ireland?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

23 35.38%
  • No

42 64.62%
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Kevin Nolan saga

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I was sure when he hit the equaliser against Cameroon.

Anyone who knows the words to Sean South is good enough for me, if they still play that tape that is

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I was born in England but brought up in Ireland. I consider myself Irish and so do my cousins who where brought up over here.

Your Irishness depends on how much effort your parents put into retaining a link with back home.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Originally posted by Condex
    Your Irishness depends on how much effort your parents put into retaining a link with back home.
    It's not as simple as that, although it does contribute to one's sense of identity. Anyhow, due to the risk of reopening yet another of the great debates hereabouts, I now lay down my keyboard...

PP
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

pingpongbob
    Thank god my parents immigrated to the U.S, most second generation people I know would put on the Irish jersey in a heartbeat( but most 2nd generation Irish/Americans are brought up following baseball grid-iron, hockey or basketball), I have a cousin in Covenetry(both parente from Eire.) who wears an England jersey,,, I find this very strange...over-compensation maybe?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The Irishness of 2G Irish in England or wherever is completely down to how your parents raised you. For that reason the likes of Kilbane, Finnan, Breen and young Darren Potter are as Irish as any player regardless of accent. Yes I question whether Holland would be with us if good enough for England and know Morrison wouldn't but going back to the original point Kevin Nolan considers himself English and even his Da has been quoted as saying he wants him to play for England.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    ...funny - this sterile debate usually pops up after an away game when a few day trippers (normally their first game and representing 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000001% of real fans) hear an English accent and think it as great amusement………they struggle to understand the two words: economic migration. – which was an economic reality for my parents generation in the west of Ireland…….and no doubt mr and mrs Kilbane, Breen, etc..

perhaps it’s the fault of the education system or government that denies this……..as a slight diversion from footie this website is well worth a visit

www.aisling.org.uk

…..real fans regardless of accent – especially those who travel abroad - know ‘the score’ about us Plastics!!!! I have no interest in the England football team and would never play for them because they are not ‘my team’……it wouldn’t feel right - nothing more sinister than that

Erin go bragh

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by London Irish
    ...funny - this sterile debate usually pops up after an away game when a few day trippers (normally their first game and representing 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000001% of real fans) hear an English accent and think it as great amusement………they struggle to understand the two words: economic migration. – which was an economic reality for my parents generation in the west of Ireland…….and no doubt mr and mrs Kilbane, Breen, etc..

perhaps it’s the fault of the education system or government that denies this……..as a slight diversion from footie this website is well worth a visit

www.aisling.org.uk

…..real fans regardless of accent – especially those who travel abroad - know ‘the score’ about us Plastics!!!! I have no interest in the England football team and would never play for them because they are not ‘my team’……it wouldn’t feel right - nothing more sinister than that

Erin go bragh
    Yet despite this when I was living in Ireland (with me English accent) and people knowing my roots I was asked who I would be supporting during the Ireland - England six nations match.

Ireland I said.

Response: "well I suppose you'd have to over here"

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    take your point DM ......am back in Mayo all the time and get that as well........

........but when i've come from London and taken 2 days annual leave to go to Lansdowne road on a Tuesday night (actually on my own for that game - though travalling to see the boys in green you are never on your 'own') in November for a friendly versus Canada, made the effort (and told to *&%$ off by an irate girlfirend because of) to go to Moscow/ Basel/ Amsterdam / Athens etc.. that attitude by the odd idiot gets lost on me.......

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    London Irish just for future reference its Éire go Brea.....Brágh is the scottish version..it also means captive or hostage in irish as it comes from the word Brá......I am not having a go at ya just pointing it out...I agree with the sentiments of all the 2g on here and I have posted before that while on away trips I feel I have more in common with them than some Irish born and raised idiots who believe an english accent is an excuse to abuse and threaten someone...they are a minority though and are a bit limited in all departments
    Bring back the plank

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Has made his choice and it's England. Pity but you can have no arguements. It's best anyone who considers representing Ireland second best not play for us.

I have watched Nolan and he looks a very good player however he will find it very hard to break into the english team containing such stars as Emile Heskey....Which is unforunate for Ireland and for Mr Nolan.....

But just a point....How committed is Clinton Morrison...to me hw seems like he could'nt give a damn....he has been lucky when playing for Ireland and has not played well...Personally I think him are Connolly are muck and don't deserve international football...

lets blood some new strikers...

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Clinton is best of a bad bunch when it comes to partners for Keane. Allegedly Elliott is in Kev Keegan's first team squad for tonights game against Liverpool. Here's hoping Macken, Fowler and Sibierski join Anelka on the treatment table.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Nolan's never been interested in playing for Ireland from the word go, he's more then welcome to win his one cap and be forgotten about by the self appointed football master race.
    But the crazy thing about Kevin Gallen is it's not like he's one of these 2nd gen Irish who are Irish when it suits them but still follow engerluuuund, this guy is totally Irish. He said that after making his choice to play for engerluuuuund he was'nt english he was Irish but this was the best choice for his football career (ie being lent on by Gerry Francis which has already been said).
    Kevin Gallen was old enough to stand up to Francis and tell him that he was Irish but he did'nt he bottled it he renounced his nationality that's why i don't have any respect for him. I like thousand's of other 2nd gen Irish would march a million miles for the privallige of pulling on the green shirt and representing our country and that was feebel excuse he could give when he had the chance i would love to have had. When Kevin Kilbane was 14 and called to train with the engerluuuund u15 team he told the Preston boss he was'nt going because he wanted to one day play for Ireland. He got a barrage of abuse and was booted out of the office by the boss cause of what the boss put it 'a lack of ambition', but he would'nt let any one tell him he was'nt Irish and is someone who you know that regardless of what people say about the odd performance is someone who play's for the jersey.
    Speaking of d***heads who slag off 2nd Irish fans accents, is it me who finds this or does anyone else find that these clowns all seem to support man u or liverpool when you argue back with them they never support an eircom league club, that bugs me that it's totally acceptable to have an Irish accent and support some plc in engerluuuuund @ the expense of their local club but it's a wierd thing for people from the Irish community in engerluuuund to follow Ireland, how hypocritical.
    Its crazy to see people be what society wants them to be but not me.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Speaking of d***heads who slag off 2nd Irish fans accents, is it me who finds this or does anyone else find that these clowns all seem to support man u or liverpool when you argue back with them they never support an eircom league club, that bugs me that it's totally acceptable to have an Irish accent and support some plc in engerluuuuund @ the expense of their local club but it's a wierd thing for people from the Irish community in engerluuuund to follow Ireland, how hypocritical. [/B][/QUOTE]

Well said

piratemousey
    hes english, mate. born and bred end of storey.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Originally posted by piratemousey
    hes english, mate. born and bred end of storey.
    Born yes, but bred???? Bet you think dogs born in stables also neigh, have two foot choppers and attract an unhealthy interest from John Magnier, MATE. What a fine example of Free State education you are!
    This is the cooooooooooooolest footy forum I've ever seen!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Good to see the 'plastic paddy' debate is alive and kicking.

'McCarthy's Bar' is an excellent read.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Originally posted by sylvo
    When Kevin Kilbane was 14 and called to train with the engerluuuund u15 team he told the Preston boss he was'nt going because he wanted to one day play for Ireland. He got a barrage of abuse and was booted out of the office by the boss cause of what the boss put it 'a lack of ambition', but he would'nt let any one tell him he was'nt Irish and is someone who you know that regardless of what people say about the odd performance is someone who play's for the jersey.
    That's the most heartwarming story I've heard in some time.Brightened up my day.What a legend he is.
    It's criminal that arguably our most dedicated player could receive such abuse from the irish public.

Speaking of d***heads who slag off 2nd Irish fans accents, is it me who finds this or does anyone else find that these clowns all seem to support man u or liverpool when you argue back with them they never support an eircom league club, that bugs me that it's totally acceptable to have an Irish accent and support some plc in engerluuuuund @ the expense of their local club but it's a wierd thing for people from the Irish community in engerluuuund to follow Ireland, how hypocritical.
    Don't mean to take a shot at you Sylvo but it's seems the easy way to get a few cuotos around here is to slag off Man U or Liverpool fans and elevate eL fans.The same attitude is found in nearly every thread,heard it all before,eL fans can do no wrong and English League fans are the scum of the earth.
    And that's an impartial view BTW.
    <insert witty remark>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Beavis I did'nt take it as a shot @ all. First not one bit looking for a pat on the back from the el fan's @ all after all i am one myself and just want to see a lot more intrest being shown toward's it, but i can only say thing's as i see them personally. Not for a minute do i feel that people who support english team's are scum, I'm not one bit bothered about who people support. I have seen on thread's were people are getting jumped @ for supporting english team's or Celtic, it's a personal choice and i don't belive in dictating to people what club they should support, my anger toward's people come's when i'm following my country and as has often happened i've had some hilarious character ask me what the hell i'm doing here or that eternal classic ''HOW COME YER NOT AT WEMBLEY'' just because of my geezer accent. In Brussels one year some gob****e who was dressed up like Ireland was playing Belguim in golf (not football) even had the ball's to come to meself and a table full of my London Irish mate's and say ''lad's i've just heard yer accent's thank's for coming over and giving us a cheer''. He like every single person who've forgotten that we've had a slight problem with emigration over the year's and have felt the need to tell us who they think we should support in international football because we don't have Irish accent's,strangely enough all supported english football club's and never a local one when i've asked a few question's back to them.
    Bevis it's totally hypocritical and annoying to have someone tell you about how great a supporter they are of a team that come's from a place that they have no blood or family tie's to in a different country and that it's completly acceptable to do so, but then tell you that you should not be supporting the country that your parent's were born and brought up in and is you're country also regardless of your accent.
    Over the year's following Ireland i've got to know many people many support el team's some of them also even follow the fortune's of an english team as a second team, but i have never been told by an el fan that i should be following the tans, the only people that have told me that have turned out to follow tan club's. As i said i can only say as i see.
    As for Kevin Kilbane don't know if that was a dig there, but @ fourteen year's of age he stood up to someone trying to bully him into decalring for something he was'nt, I will alway's have the upmost respect for KK as most second genertion Irish fan's do, he done what Kevin Gallan @ a much older age did'nt have the ball's to do.He play's for the jersey and you can tell that playing for Ireland mean's everything to him, and i thought he played very well v Brazil.
    Its crazy to see people be what society wants them to be but not me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well Said.........................................

Well said .....................Kevin Kilbane is a true Mayo man unlike that gob sh!te Gallen.................................UP THE WEST !!!

2nd Gen and proud to be Irish .....................................

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Originally posted by sylvo
    ...As for Kevin Kilbane don't know if that was a dig there, but @ fourteen year's of age he stood up to someone trying to bully him into decalring for something he was'nt, I will alway's have the upmost respect for KK as most second genertion Irish fan's do, he done what Kevin Gallan @ a much older age did'nt have the ball's to do...
    Tranquilo Sylvo. Don't think Beavis was having a dig as we have smileys to ram the sarcasm home (unless I'm mistaken). KK is a diamond in my eyes. But he's not alone though. Connolly, Eddie McAteer, Tony Grealish, even the half - English Chris Morris, among others, were Irish citizens before their first caps. Perhaps piratemousey should put the question to the manager of his club on his Irishness, or his brother, once the brightest of our youth prodigies in the eighties, who later suffered from cancer. In declining an England youth cap in 1985 then told the English meedja two simple words that didn't include either off or f*ck: 'I'm Irish.'

Still I forgot about Carnstein above in my previous outburst. So why do YOU think that English born fans follow Ireland (loads of evidence on this messageboard)? Glory hunters, can't get the tickets to England games, like dressing up as leprechauns?
    This is the cooooooooooooolest footy forum I've ever seen!

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast