Thread: Eircom League player on Skysports

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Eircom League player on Skysports

http://home.skysports.com/league.asp?cpid=8

and here's the direct link. Nice to see the league getting some coverage again in England.

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?h...+eye+Irish+gem

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    another player gone !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Originally posted by thegit
    Nice to see the league getting some coverage again in England.
    Sorry to burst your little bubble but there is no mention of the league in that report! Anyway, Charlton fans probably even think that UCD are a Schoolboy club.........
    Who Cares?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    same here. not one word of what level he plays at or that he plays in a pro league

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thegit
    http://home.skysports.com/league.asp?cpid=8

and here's the direct link. Nice to see the league getting some coverage again in England.

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?h...+eye+Irish+gem

Its a load of ballax is what it is !!
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    f**kin hell they mention UCD don't they, do they have to go into detail about the league and every club in it. It's nice to see another eircom league getting noticed it brings up the value of the league...... or would you rather he signed from a schoolboy club at the age of 15 ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    you dont get it!

These are the type of players we should be holding onto to bring our league forward and not improve a foreign league.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    how can we bring the players forward ? every league has a limit, Kevin Doyle wouldnt be worth the same now if he stayed with cork. Do you really think a player will stay if he gets the chance to move, or would you stick around? I know I wouldn't .......I think we have to get real any decent Scotish player leaves and goes to England if they get the chance, so if they can't keep them what chance have we got. Plus it's better for the international team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    The git is spot on. How are UCD expected to hold onto a player who has captained and scored for the U-21s and could go on someday to become a senior international?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student
    The git is spot on. How are UCD expected to hold onto a player who has captained and scored for the U-21s and could go on someday to become a senior international?

Is he good enough though to be playing first team at charlton or is he going to be another reserve player who gets loaned out to a lower division team the following season? I think going from the EL to the premiership is to much of a jump and he'd be better of going to a lower division league team to start off and work his way up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry
    Is he good enough though to be playing first team at charlton or is he going to be another reserve player who gets loaned out to a lower division team the following season? I think going from the EL to the premiership is to much of a jump and he'd be better of going to a lower division league team to start off and work his way up.
    Ultimately he will choose his destination so it's up to him to decide.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    First because any publicity is good publicity, and it might make kids want to play in the Eircom leauge until they are ready to go over instead of losing young players at the age of 14-15 for nothing. At least if UCD make 40 or 50k for Dicker it's better than nothing. Now imagine if every Eircom team had one of those players who waited, the league would be a lot better of financially. Also if he does go over and does well it gives every other young player in the league a boost, all this is natural progression and of course money. Look at Charlton they lost there best player Parker to Chelsea it didnt work out for him and now he's with Newcastle it's just how football works.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thegit
    how can we bring the players forward ? every league has a limit,
    I'm looking at the rest of your post but can help think you are a WUM, are you seriously for real with that comment?

Just to put it in context aswell, do you support an eL club and what age are you?

Kevin Doyle wouldnt be worth the same now if he stayed with cork.
    I actually think that Doyler playing in the champions league would be the perfect shop window for him. Thankfully your inferiority complex would have no bearing on it.

Can i ask a question and it should be very telling about where you stand?
    When Doyler was with Reading first day there was talk of a National Cap, do you think that Doyler would have been good enough for a National Cap two weeks before that ??

Do you really think a player will stay if he gets the chance to move, or would you stick around? I know I wouldn't .......I think we have to get real any decent Scotish player leaves and goes to England if they get the chance, so if they can't keep them what chance have we got. Plus it's better for the international team.
    Also just for my own self, Can i just ask aswell what your opinion is on players moving from one league to another for proper money and through the proper channels, that benefit both leagues ? Obviously if a player seeing what he thinks is an opportunity then he will go, but its the whole administration of this and how it is orchestrated that i am wondering about ??
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    "I actually think that Doyler playing in the champions league would be the perfect shop window for him"

-The perfect shop window for what? .... to sell him which is what they did.

-I support Pat's and im 27 (what ever thats got to do with it) you gonna ask me out on a date or something?

"Can i ask a question and it should be very telling about where you stand?
    When Doyler was with Reading first day there was talk of a National Cap, do you think that Doyler would have been good enough for a National Cap two weeks before that ??"

- Talk thats all it was talk. Yes I do think he was good enough before that but Reading can give hi, that shop window week in week out do you really think Cork can win the champions League, he might have played a few games in Europe thats it.Be real about it.

It's up to each club to look after there own business, sometimes deals go wrong in every kind of business. How come Shels seemed to handle the Jason Byrne deal they didn't loose out. Anyway like i said Doyle wouldn't be worth the money he is now if he stayed at Cork FACT.

I am an EL fan and I go every week but the truth is the standard is improving but it's still along way of from a lot of leagues .If any players in the League gets a chance to move abroad he will, he wont care about the club its up to them to look after themselves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face
    I actually think that Doyler playing in the champions league would be the perfect shop window for him. Thankfully your inferiority complex would have no bearing on it.
    Well he wouldn't be worth the same would he? It's not a question of how good he is, it's a question of perceived value, and unfortunately, a player who is scoring goals in the Championship is regarded as worth more than a player who is scoring goals in the EL, regardless of the standard. Hopefully that will change as the standard here improves, but as bluntly as thegit puts it, it's not such a bad thing.
    Ideally, yes we want people to stay, but if it is seen that an 18 or 19 year old can get a transfer to an English club from the EL if they're good enough, it might have the effect of keeping a lot more younger players here instead of heading off at 14 or 15. This will then have the knock on effect of reducing the number of players who don't make it and end up dropping to lower divisions. Think of a situation where all the Irish players below championship level in England were playing in the EL. Surely that's the situation that we want?
    Foot.ie's entire existence is predicated on the average idiot's inability to ignore other idiots

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    I'd love to keep Dicker and I'll be disappointed if he does leave for England but I don't think it's in any way realistic to think that a player will turn down a premiership club if they offer him a contract.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Thats what i was saying Bigmac, that in it's self would make the league a whole lot better. You know as well the EL clubs think it's ok to just sign up what talent they want, I'd like to know how many of them pay schoolboy clubs for all the good work they do developing these kids. Or does that not count because the poor old EL clubs have no money(sob story)

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    The future of the eL involves selling the best players abroad but for vastly improved sums than presently. If the top eL sides sell players they could then buy replacements from other eL sides & spread the cash down the league.

Sherls turning down 500k for Jason Byrne was good but probably more to do with losing 50% to Bray.

Doyle was sold on the cheap due to crap clause but will 3-4 clubs seriously interested probably would have commanded 300k easily enough & CCFC may or may not have sold at that.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    -I support Pat's and im 27 (what ever thats got to do with it) you gonna ask me out on a date or something?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by footballplease
    I was implying that he was a kid !!

I'll be honest ... he sounds like a typical barstooler.
    Last edited by A face; 24/02/2006 at 8:30 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast