Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Election 2007

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Post Election 2007

Looks like all parties gearing up for the election which seems due in next 6 months...

Will it set new lows for nastiness?

With economic polices very similar will their be personal attacks in the US/UK style?
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    With economic polices very similar will their be personal attacks in the US/UK style?
    Well McDowells been at it for months with his attacks on Bruton and Gormley, and all the slump coalition stuff, and his monthly calling people Nazi's tatic.

All the FG posters that the Government got their nickers in a twist only stated Government failures, which aren't negative campaigning in my view. Here's the Governments record, here's our policies, make up your minds.

FG/Labour could start by going through the last National Development Plan - plenty of committments not met in that one, on many of the areas they had a big fan fare about yesterday.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    75 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post

FG/Labour could start by going through the last National Development Plan - plenty of committments not met in that one, on many of the areas they had a big fan fare about yesterday.
    Surely even Labour supporters don't believe that there'll be a FG/Labour coalition after the election?

It'll be FF/Lab without Rabbitte and some others from the DL tendency that took Labour over.

KOH
    No One Likes Us, We Don't Care

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WeAreRovers View Post
    Surely even Labour supporters don't believe that there'll be a FG/Labour coalition after the election?
    Still there to be won, if they go on the attack on the right issues. God knows there's enough to attack the current Government on...

It'll be FF/Lab without Rabbitte and some others from the DL tendency that took Labour over.
    imo that'll be the end of the Labour Party, which may be no bad thing. Get a truely left wing alternative in the making, even if it was some form of grand coalition. Obviously, I'd be a traditional labour voter (not member btw), but going in with FF at this stage would be the final kick up the arse I'd need to ditch them in - no doubt my heart lies further to the left, but feel anyone but FF is the priority at this election.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I thought the FG posters a bit selective until saw the crime figures reported this week which basically showed significant increase in majority of categories. crime isn't a major issue with me but did prove the figures not selective...

FG/Labour coalition is possible although Labour the clear weak link.

PDs are unpredicatable as Nationwide polls mean nothing to them when comes to predicting their seat tally. I am sure they will play the "FF cannot be trusted on their own..." line as it was very successful last time.

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    But Macy going into coalition with FG isn't much different. The Labour Party unfortunately has long abandoned the left wing policies of its founders. The DL coup merely accelerated this process.
    TO TELL THE TRUTH IS REVOLUTIONARY

The ONLY foot.ie user with a type of logic named after them!

All of this has happened before. All of it will happen again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    75 Posts

imo that'll be the end of the Labour Party, which may be no bad thing. Get a truely left wing alternative in the making, even if it was some form of grand coalition. Obviously, I'd be a traditional labour voter (not member btw), but going in with FF at this stage would be the final kick up the arse I'd need to ditch them in - no doubt my heart lies further to the left, but feel anyone but FF is the priority at this election.
    As an ex-member of the Labour Party I totally see where you're coming from but these days I'm staunchly anyone but FG/PD. I actually think that a FF/Lab coalition would be best for the country.

There's a myth in Labour that the Dick Spring/Albert government damaged them when in reality it was the unelected FG/Lab government that took over that did the real electoral damage to Labour.

KOH
    No One Likes Us, We Don't Care

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BohsPartisan
    But Macy going into coalition with FG isn't much different.
    They fulfil the most pressing critea of not being FF.

I actually think that a FF/Lab coalition would be best for the country.
    In theory it may be, but not without clearing a hell of a lot of the deadwood out FF, including the corrupt leader. That will not happen after this election - Labour just wouldn't have the pulling power. 18 out of the last 20 years is too long for a party to be in power, so FG the least worst alternative to FF.

There's a myth in Labour that the Dick Spring/Albert government damaged them when in reality it was the unelected FG/Lab government that took over that did the real electoral damage to Labour.
    That is certainly one argument, however ignores that the "Spring Tide" was on the back of attacking FF corruption. Before my time though, I was too busy believing things could only get better, so this is the first time they have the chance to sell me out.

The problem with Irish Politics is FF trying to be all things to all men, and as a result stands for nothing and has no principles. It has a signifcant minority that would be in a "labour" party in any other state, with the majority on the right of centre. On top of the Civil War, Dev is to blame for fooking up the party system too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    The problem with Irish Politics is FF trying to be all things to all men, and as a result stands for nothing and has no principles.
    That's it in a nutshell. Put us in and we'll do whatever the hell enough of ye want and feck the consequences. An administrative brokerage house touting for custom.

If they'd only fuse with Fine Gael -with whom they have virtually no material difference -it'd allow for a proper re-allignment of the political landscape where the electorate would get to choose between something more than different brands of bread.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    First time in a long time I haven't a clue who to vote for.

Labour - the thought of Rabbite, yapping on all day long and getting even more coverage becasue he is a minister is frightening.

FF - 5 More years of the bundering, bluff that is Bertie is just too much.

FG - Enda Kenny and his whispy haircuts to go with his whispy populist ideas about an airport for all the Dublin constituencies, a prison for every village is just pathetic.

PD's - I nearly would only for McDowell and his meandering pontificating nonsense about crime and making even more laws to criminalise every second person.

After that who have you but the (admittedly entertaining) Joe Higgins one man show and his bunch of loony lefties (and yes just look at Bohspartisan posts)

Greens - Good intentions, crap policies and too many beards and sandals and general hippydom.

Sinn Fein - well after their retirement fund (Belfast Bank robbery) is run out may just be desperate enough to cosy up to Bertie.

I'm saying a FF/SF alliance to break down after a year with another election after that with FF/Labour.
    Cork City FC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rebs23 View Post
    After that who have you but the (admittedly entertaining) Joe Higgins one man show and his bunch of loony lefties (and yes just look at Bohspartisan posts)
    What the ones where I use facts to back up my arguements against foundationless rhetoric?

If you can't stand the heat, put your hands over your ears and make loud noises...

lalalalalalalala

Plus, hopefully we'll be a two person show in the Dail after the elections.
    Last edited by BohsPartisan; 24/01/2007 at 2:35 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BohsPartisan View Post
    What the ones where I use facts to back up my arguements against foundationless rhetoric?

You would n't know what a fact is if it jumped up and bit you on your beret.
    Cork City FC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rebs23 View Post
    You would n't know what a fact is if it jumped up and bit you on your beret.
    You obviously don't if you think they have teeth!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie View Post
    If they'd only fuse with Fine Gael -with whom they have virtually no material difference -it'd allow for a proper re-allignment of the political landscape where the electorate would get to choose between something more than different brands of bread.
    The electorate already have four other parties to choose from apart from FF/FG.! If you don't like either of those brands of bread, vote for something different, nothing will change otherwise.

That said, I'm completely unsure of who I would vote for in 2007. I'm leaning towards the Greens. I know they have a lunatic fringe, but they'd never in a month of Sundays get more than about 10 seats so they'd be put straight by the major party if they got into a coalition. I'd like the Greens to be in the next coalition so that new legislation will have at least an eye on environmental issues.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BohsPartisan View Post
    You obviously don't if you think they have teeth!
    Touche!
    Cork City FC

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Aside from the fringe parties who have little or no manifestos suitable for the real world here how I see the main parties campaigning.

FF - Times are good, don't risk change by voting for someone else.

FG - FF been there too long & we can spend your money better.

Labour - We promise not to go into coalition with FF...or do we...

PDs - You can't trust FF on its own , need us to keep them honest otherwise they'll go into coalition with the left meaning taxes will rise.

SF - We want to build an Ireland of Equals.

Others - I promise hospitial/no incinerator/no dump (select as appropriate).

I think its going to come down to very personalised campaign.

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I think its going to come down to very personalised campaign.
    Probably.
    That means there'll be no beating Bertie. The man cannot be beaten in the popularity stakes.
    City definetly have the best bands playing at half-time.

O'Bama - "Eerah yeah, I'd say we can alright!"

G.O'Mahoney Trapattoni'll sort ém out!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Aside from the fringe parties who have little or no manifestos suitable for the real world here how I see the main parties campaigning.
    Seeing as how the main parties' manifestos are rarely suibtable for the real world thats harsh!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crc View Post
    The electorate already have four other parties to choose from apart from FF/FG.! If you don't like either of those brands of bread, vote for something different, nothing will change otherwise.

That said, I'm completely unsure of who I would vote for in 2007. I'm leaning towards the Greens. I know they have a lunatic fringe, but they'd never in a month of Sundays get more than about 10 seats so they'd be put straight by the major party if they got into a coalition. I'd like the Greens to be in the next coalition so that new legislation will have at least an eye on environmental issues.
    The electorate could have forty different parties to vote for and it wouldn't alter a jot the fact that, in the prevailing (and sadly enduring) irish political landscape, none of them could be in government unless that government had either Fianna Fáil or Fine Gael as it's "anchor tenant". That boils down to there being nothing on offer to the irish electorate but a right-ist/center-right-ist administration. I'm not claiming the left could do better. Just stating there isn't a left leaning option on offer in any practical sense.

a couple of other thoughts ...the PDs have made less than 10 seats count for a whole lot of leverage and, while I often find myself at odds with them, fair play to them for doing so ...The greens should ape them to as great an extent possible in that regard.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crc View Post
    I'm leaning towards the Greens. I know they have a lunatic fringe, but they'd never in a month of Sundays get more than about 10 seats so they'd be put straight by the major party if they got into a coalition. I'd like the Greens to be in the next coalition so that new legislation will have at least an eye on environmental issues.
    That's my poinion too. I voted green last time and probably will again but a lot of their policies are completly loony.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast