Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Global Warming Debate

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Global Warming Debate

Thought it was funny to see the Sky News CO2 emissions counter last week. Nore sure what they trying to achieve as those numbers mean nothing with no context.

I also liked Tony Blair being asked to give up his foreign holidays because of the evil planes... I admire him for actually saying he'd like to keep his foreign holidays. Maybe the media people can give up hholidays first?
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    And all that airtime for that Lisa Burke woman.

Learn to speak English properly you moron

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    And all that airtime for that Lisa Burke woman.
    She should stick to the weather. Sounds like she presenting kids tv.

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    She should stick to the weather. Sounds like she presenting kids tv.
    She should stick to having babies by that poor stockbroker she snared. I remember my ma called me in when she was watching Brides of Franc or whatever it's called and Burke was complaining about the menu as she felt salmon was "too common". Remind me which rural backwater you slept your way out of again you tramp??

Anyway Global Warming

Don't really believe in it myself but I'll admit I probably don't know nearly enough about it. It's just I've been waiting to have a go at Lisa Burke for years you see

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Don't really believe in it myself

Are you into situational science?
    Last edited by BohsPartisan; 16/01/2007 at 11:32 AM.
    TO TELL THE TRUTH IS REVOLUTIONARY

The ONLY foot.ie user with a type of logic named after them!

All of this has happened before. All of it will happen again.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    She should stick to having babies by that poor stockbroker she snared. I remember my ma called me in when she was watching Brides of Franc or whatever it's called and Burke was complaining about the menu as she felt salmon was "too common". Remind me which rural backwater you slept your way out of again you tramp??

Anyway Global Warming

Don't really believe in it myself but I'll admit I probably don't know nearly enough about it. It's just I've been waiting to have a go at Lisa Burke for years you see
    A woman sleeping her way to the top surely thats unheard of , have you got any Madonna CD's

Global warming :

Basically what happens is the Sun gives of heat radiation this hits the earth and bounces back, in the atmosphere there are little naturally occurring particles (Carbon emissions from volcano’s etc) when the radiation hits these they vibrate like crazy sending the heat radiation back towards the earth (effectively trapping it in the atmosphere) this was a good thing as it led to the earth being able to support life. but with the massive increase in the burning of fossil fuels (which releases these particles )over the last few hundred years the number of these particles has increased faster then we ever imagined and faster than the earths atmosphere can handle. With more of these particles reflecting more of the heat radiation backs towards us it is slowly raising the temp of the whole world.

in simple terms its like putting a blanket around the planet .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BohsPartisan View Post
    Come Now BP isn't there a theory somewhere that says we're jusy coming down off the ice age

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Come Now BP isn't there a theory somewhere that says we're jusy coming down off the ice age
    Enlighten me.
    Global warming is a proven fact. There are a few dubious studies carried out by oil companies that have the same scientific credibility as studies carried out by tobacco companies saying that smoking is not bad for you and ones carried out by Creationists to say that dinosaurs were put here to test us.

Proof global warming is caused by diminishing numbers of pirates
    Last edited by BohsPartisan; 16/01/2007 at 1:27 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Getting away from the he said she said discussion anyone else feed up with the latest "carbon footprint" fashion...?

If were to follow this logic we'd buy no goods from poor countries therefore they'd be screwed.

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Thats a very simplistic logic. You're saying we can have environmental disaster or economic disaster.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Thats a very simplistic logic. You're saying we can have environmental disaster or economic disaster.
    No. I am saying needs to be some realism.

We are often told that Electricity cars are better than petrol/diesel ones yet in Ireland almost all our energy comes from fossil fuels. Do power stations have catalytic convertors? Are the fumes from petrol cars any worse than a power station?

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Fair point, I agree. The whole system needs to be looked at. Blaming individuals and their cars is indeed a cop-out.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    No. I am saying needs to be some realism.

We are often told that Electricity cars are better than petrol/diesel ones yet in Ireland almost all our energy comes from fossil fuels. Do power stations have catalytic convertors? Are the fumes from petrol cars any worse than a power station?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ardnacrusha

what happens is when there is a massive surge on the network the older fossil fuel stations come online ( 5-7 as all the ads on radio at the moment tell us ) they are the ones that cause the pollution .

no one is saying stop flying/stop buying from countries far away , but just make a few changes , such as energy saving light bulbs , not turning on all the telly , cooker , washing machine etc etc untill 7 ) will make a difference .

I was surprised to see that you shouldnt recycle palstic bottles ( this was for the uk but i assume its the same here ) because there isnt enough recycling plants so they pack them up and send them off to china on big boats that pump out CO2 . And since plastic doesnt give off any harmfull gasses as it breaks down that land fills are the most eviromental option .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Just dump all your rubbish in a river it washes out to sea,problem solved!
    Champions 2010
    Champions 2011
    Dick Brush 1 Sligo 0
    Bohs are going bust.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hoops1 View Post
    Just dump all your rubbish in a river it washes out to sea,problem solved!
    You've given away your identity there minister!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anto1208 View Post
    no one is saying stop flying/stop buying from countries far away , but just make a few changes , such as energy saving light bulbs , not turning on all the telly , cooker , washing machine etc etc untill 7 ) will make a difference .
    All those things you mention been around for a while. I was just highlighting how carbon emissions & airline pollution the latest media hype. Some UK politicians have jumped on the hype but I just thought Tony Blair was a bit more different saying he didn't agree. (maybe the fact he has no more elections affecting his answer)

I think the 5-7 campaign by the ESB has a lot more to do with lack of capacity in the network at peak time so they encouraging us to help them out...

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    You've given away your identity there minister!
    Eh I mean we all have a responsibility to the environment.
    Champions 2010
    Champions 2011
    Dick Brush 1 Sligo 0
    Bohs are going bust.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Not going to debate whether or not global warming is happening or not (seriously lads even George W. has admitted that it is, George W!!!), but honestly I think the situation that the greens are warning will come to pass on this planet is pretty much unstoppable right now. Two of the leading professors on the environment and the hazards it faces said that to stop the world heating up unnaturally, polar ice caps melting, sea levels rising etc. we would have to cut out things like flying. When questioned on that statement and whether they think it would happen he gave responded by saying that he wasn't saying it would happen, just that it should.

Obviously given the parasite nature of human beings, and the downright selfishness of our species this isn't going to happen, add to that the fact that America, who at last count (or at least last time I checked) counted for 40% of the world's carbon emissions, are about 5-10 years too late admitting that global warming is happening than you may agree with me that the world is pretty much ****ed. Not for us, but for the next generation and beyond. Still on the grand scheme of things humans don't have it in them to do any lasting damage to the planet, so all this will achieve is to hopefully shorten the Age of Man in the Earth's history.

That's my two cents anyway

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jebus View Post
    Not going to debate whether or not global warming is happening or not (seriously lads even George W. has admitted that it is, George W!!!), but honestly I think the situation that the greens are warning will come to pass on this planet is pretty much unstoppable right now. Two of the leading professors on the environment and the hazards it faces said that to stop the world heating up unnaturally, polar ice caps melting, sea levels rising etc. we would have to cut out things like flying. When questioned on that statement and whether they think it would happen he gave responded by saying that he wasn't saying it would happen, just that it should.

Obviously given the parasite nature of human beings, and the downright selfishness of our species this isn't going to happen, add to that the fact that America, who at last count (or at least last time I checked) counted for 40% of the world's carbon emissions, are about 5-10 years too late admitting that global warming is happening than you may agree with me that the world is pretty much ****ed. Not for us, but for the next generation and beyond. Still on the grand scheme of things humans don't have it in them to do any lasting damage to the planet, so all this will achieve is to hopefully shorten the Age of Man in the Earth's history.

That's my two cents anyway
    ah but we can ! grow weed its the most amazing plant as the link shows it can support all our fuel needs it can be used in over 25,000 different products, doesnt require pestisides,cleans the air water and airates the land better than any other plant can be grown anywhere and has a short cycle so can be grown after crop harvest . its insane just how good it is . and no it isnt the smoking kind

http://www.rawganique.com/whyhemp.htm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jebus View Post
    the world is pretty much ****ed. Not for us, but for the next generation and beyond.
    Exactly

Who Cares??

I'm off to spray two lynx cans at the sun

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast