Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 25,000 empty seats ...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

25,000 empty seats ...

According to the Indo (http://www.independent.ie/national-n...r-1635174.html)

25,000 empty seats for tonight ... apprently because of a "midweek" game and "the time of the year." Of course nothing to do with the €50 + price for tickets. I used to go to the majority of games and bring a few of the cousins but now looking at €200+ per game for the few of us to go I had to stop.

I'm just wondering as to why they aren't selling off the last 25,000 tickets for half price? Surely they should take a bit of a hit on the tickets in order to ensure that the lads are supported as well as possible?!
    Eoin Mullen, Bohemians legend!

"You should always take good care of your cat" - Postman Pat, 1991

2005 - a great year for Irish football

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    i dunno if they could sell off the last 25,000 for half price because this would put people off buying their tickets early for the next few games. i don't think anyone would buy tickets for full price if they thought they could wait until the day of the match and get a ticket for half price.
    it will be a pity to see all those seats empty though
    "A farting horse will never tire and a farting man's the man to hire!"

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    868 Posts
    Think its sign that Landsdowne Roads capacity is perfect for football in this country
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Think its sign that Landsdowne Roads capacity is perfect for football in this country
    Just what I was thinking . I would say the hill will be closed .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    I agree with that but I reckon they'd easily have filled Croker if the tickets were a wee bit cheaper. They're outpricing some fans out of the game!
    Eoin Mullen, Bohemians legend!

"You should always take good care of your cat" - Postman Pat, 1991

2005 - a great year for Irish football

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    will still be one of the bigger european attendances tonight. the ticket prices are steep enough but compare very favourably with the rugby 6N matches which always sell out. my ticket in a similar seat as the one i will sit in tonight was €90 for the rugby but is €50 tonight

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    will still be one of the bigger european attendances tonight. the ticket prices are steep enough but compare very favourably with the rugby 6N matches which always sell out. my ticket in a similar seat as the one i will sit in tonight was €90 for the rugby but is €50 tonight

I brought my six year old kid to the last midweek game & my ticket was the same price as his. its mad, i would say something if it was a team like Brazil. Beleive it or not it is cheaper for me to bring him to an English game then it is to take him to Croke Park..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    I usually brought my kid to these games but have stopped as it has just got too expensive. As it turns out I was offered 2 free tickets for the Hogan Stand tonight and we will both be there. Sign of the times when you see them giving them away to “everyone in the audience” on the Late Late show.
    Always look on the bright side of life

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    I'm just amazed that anyone is surprised by this and there's a big deal being amde out of it. It's Georgia ffs, 50,000 will be an excellent crowd and as much as I'd have expected. The only games we'd get more then that for are the glamour games against the likes of the Italians hence why the new Lansdowne is the perfect size. Do people think they crowd would be bigger if tickets were €40 for example? Teh only thing I'd do doffderently is offer famil tickets for a game like this.

Move along, nothing to see here.....

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Except for 1-2 games a year 50-55k capacity at Lansdowne will be plenty.

E90 was cheapest seat for rugby last weekend.

Even at E10 I don't think could get 70k people to watch Georgia on a Wednesday.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    I know there is a credit crunch but 50 euro is cheap. The same seat was 90 for the rugby and 70 for the GAA big games.

If there are only 50,000 there then the bb waiting list should be cleared. Some good news for those on the list.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Claret Murph View Post
    Just what I was thinking . I would say the hill will be closed .
    No seats were even put down on The Hill and were never going to be as a result of the rugby on Satruday.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Except for 1-2 games a year 50-55k capacity at Lansdowne will be plenty.
    50,000 capacity alright but 10,000 of those are premium with 5,000 away allocation.

So with a capacity for the every day fan of 35,000 there will still be a ticket scramble in Lansdowne unless unsold premium tickets are offered at reasonable prices.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gspain
    I know there is a credit crunch but 50 euro is cheap. The same seat was 90 for the rugby and 70 for the GAA big games.
    If it was Italy, the place would be sold out. It's the recession coupled with the "event junkie" factor, or in this case, a lack of one, that's behind all the empty seats.

As for €50 described as "cheap", how many other countries charge their fans €50 in to watch Georgia at home?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    As for €50 described as "cheap", how many other countries charge their fans €50 in to watch Georgia at home?
    More pertinently, how many other countries would get 50,000 punters paying €50 a head in to watch Georgia against a mid ranked side

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gspain View Post
    70 is just for the two finals, there are plenty of big GAA games which are far less in Croker, Leinster final, quarters, semis.

The FAI tickets for Lansdowne really should be graded a bit better than upper 70 and lower 50. They could be selling tickets for the upper at the edges for 25 going up to the lower in the middle for 80. Plenty of choice then for people like we see at other internationals.

Section 301 which doesn't even have any pitch in front of it is 70euro whilst so it section 305 which is on the half way line! Great pricing alright.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by endabob1 View Post
    More pertinently, how many other countries would get 50,000 punters paying €50 a head in to watch Georgia against a mid ranked side
    How many would be there if the block booking scheme didn't commit people to buy? My guess around 25,000 to 30,000.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    50 euros is a fair price for an international and 50k tonight is a good attendance.

Starting next month you can see professional football every weekend for 15 euros.
    Together with all our hearts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The thing that annoys me most is that we have been block booking for about 15 years now and we have been stuck literally in row Z of the upper Cusack (Canal end if GAA game). We have requested different seats and been told there is nothing they can do yet there will be empty seats all around us tonight!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    If it was Italy, the place would be sold out. It's the recession coupled with the "event junkie" factor, or in this case, a lack of one, that's behind all the empty seats.

I think the price is to watch Ireland. Same price for the competitve games no matter who the opposition is.

If we need to beat Italy to top the group in October the same people moaning would gladly pay 50 euro for tickets.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast