Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Ireland V Sweden(A) 22 March & Austria(H) - 26 March 2013 - World Cup 2014 Qualifiers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,328 Posts
    from the starting XI: Forde, Wilson, Clark, Coleman, Green, Whelan, Brady and McClean all got their first caps under Trapattoni, who allegedly only ever picks the same players
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

2. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Tets, i'm not comforted by that stat, have you anything better?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    who allegedly only ever picks the same players
    Hardly remarkable, he's been in charge nearly 5 years and we have injuries and retirements too. In fact Wilson, Clark, Coleman and McClean should have been bedded in a year ago! Yet here we are in a crucial qualifier starting with untested combinations and persisting with the 4-4-2 that has seen us overrun against decent opposition every time in recent years – that's just plain negligent. Thanks a lot, Trap.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Why is brady provisional?
    I would have thought that would be McClean... (Sorry!)

7. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    i had come to terms with green starting but now this potential keogh fiasco... tears.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    from the starting XI: Forde, Wilson, Clark, Coleman, Green, Whelan, Brady and McClean all got their first caps under Trapattoni, who allegedly only ever picks the same players
    It smacks of desperation if you have to pull out old hat like this to defend trap.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,328 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Tets, i'm not comforted by that stat, have you anything better?
    number of away qualifiers lost by Trapattoni: 0

It smacks of desperation if you have to pull out old hat like this to defend trap.
    how is it old hat? where did I say I was defending him? Is claiming it was old hat your own act of desperation?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

12. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Why did you append "who allegedly only ever picks the same players" then? And why did you feel the need to single out all the new players he is playing anyway? In the context of the discussion about Green and keogh etc, everyone was complaining and chastising Trap, it seems pretty strange that you would post something like that (which was something to beat him with years ago, but no one mentions now as everyone acknowledges that he does give you new players opportunities eventually) other than to defend trap
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,646 Posts

how is it old hat? where did I say I was defending him? Is claiming it was old hat your own act of desperation?
    You are blindly loyal to and defensive of Trap.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    To be fair to Trap, I'm reasonably happy with that starting line up, barring his ridiculous decision to have Green ahead of Macca. I cannot for the life of me fathom how we can't have a place for Hoolahan, but I've given up on Trap ever picking him from the start, so it doesn't have the same sense of annoyance that the selection of Green does.

Delighted that our full backs are the same. Really rate both Wilson and Coleman and think that they could be our full backs for years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,646 Posts
    Sweden -1 @ 6/4 - easy money.

17. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Geysir is reluctant to heap much praise on Wilson. He believes that he is liable to defensive laps, and positioning is not that of Stephen Ward. Ok I made the last 2 words up. Crosby what did Nigel-harps say?

I hope you are right though bungle. If clark proves he is something of a player as well, then we will be more than adequate in the backs for a while to come.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,328 Posts
    Why did you append "who allegedly only ever picks the same players" then? And why did you feel the need to single out all the new players he is playing anyway? In the context of the discussion about Green and keogh etc, everyone was complaining and chastising Trap, it seems pretty strange that you would post something like that (which was something to beat him with years ago, but no one mentions now as everyone acknowledges that he does give you new players opportunities eventually) other than to defend trap
    I hadn't actually seen the earlier discussion about Keogh and Green. It came about from a discussion on twitter, thought it was interesting so posted it here.

Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    You are blindly loyal to and defensive of Trap.
    A little, yeah. The contrarian in me is reacting to some of the comments I've seen online. My standard reaction to anything when I see something is to think the opposite, and if that's true then the original statement is false.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Could be junior or stutts, i wouldn't be half surprised.

The fan favourite Cox, and probably switch mcclean.
    Boots - Check
    Cultured Left Foot - Check
    Schoolday memories of being a midfield masetro - Check
    Gloves........ Would ye slate me if I wore gloves? I'd make sure they were the green, white and orange ones.

Anyway, I'll be there if needed.

So no real surprises with the team based on training sessions over last 24-48hrs. Central midfield partnership is disappointing to say the least. James should be in there no doubt. Likely scenario of O'Shea and Clark being eaten for breakfast by the big man Ibra is scary at the mere thought.

Just have to hope that the decent attacking qualities of our FB's, wide midfielders and the running of Long and instincts of Keane can get us a goal or two even (dare I dream) to secure us a point, the problem will be we wont have the ball much and without the ball you dont create chances/score goals......
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Green is getting a lot of stick but Whelan's constant inclusion in the starting 11 seems to be ignored. I may be mad but I'd have Green over Whelan. Green will get stuck in despite his limitations with the ball & we will need that bite tomorrow. Whelan cannot even move when he sticks a green shirt on & the game will no doubt pass him by tomorrow like it normally does.

I've often expressed my disappointment with the use if 4-4-2 & no doubt we will be without the ball for long passages of play. A shame the Trap wouldn't put his faith in footballers by including McCarthy & Hoolahan but this man won't change now so we've just got to wait it out.

We sure do miss the Duffer....Brady is only finding his feet at this level whilst McClean has struggled this season for Sunderland. Duff would take the ball & draw out fouls to ease the pressure off which is invaluable when you only have the ball for 30% of the time. McClean on the other hand will just put the head down, get frustrated & lose the ball.

The CB pairing fills me with dread. Please get fit Dunne ASAP! Clark is rash & O'Shea is O'Shea. We'll need some performance tomorrow night (with a bit of luck) to get a draw.

We are obviously underdogs but sneaking a draw isn't beyond the realms of possibility. Remember when we somehow got a point over in Moscow?!

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I usually hate when people make predictions like... "it'll either be 1-1 or Sweden will win 3-0". That's what I'm going for all the same. If it is the former I reckon we'll have taken the lead, looked fairly comfortable and then concede a silly (or fantastic) goal. That's right, I feel like keeping my options open.

For all the talk about Green and Whelan, I really couldn't understand what Robbie Brady has done to merit a place in the squad, let alone the team. Of course the news then filtered through that it's either him or Andy Keogh and now it's a source of comfort to be that Brady has got the nod, provisionally at least.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker1982 View Post
    Green is getting a lot of stick but Whelan's constant inclusion in the starting 11 seems to be ignored. I may be mad but I'd have Green over Whelan. Green will get stuck in despite his limitations with the ball & we will need that bite tomorrow. Whelan cannot even move when he sticks a green shirt on & the game will no doubt pass him by tomorrow like it normally does.
    You're not mad at all and a lot have agreed with that already. The only reason Whelan's lack of contribution is more or less ignored is because we know he will be in the side. Same with the Hoolahan thing, we know he won't be in the side. When complaining about Green instead of McCarthy it feels more like a battle we can win, even though we obviously can't.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    There is no need to name a player provisionally. If you think he mightn't be ready, why would you name him to start and then highlight the fact that you are unsure on him? This seems crazy to me have i missed something here?

Someone already made a point that Hoolohan could be picked on the wing, a position he used to always play in.

This centre midfield business is infuriating. We could have Hoolahan, McCarthy & Gibson in there. These lads mightn't be the best footballers in the world but I would defo fancy them over Whelan & Green. What has Trap learnt from the past campaigns and how has he made any attempt to try and rectify previous problems?

We will possibly blunder a result on Friday but you have to feel it would be more by chance than design. Anyways come on Ireland!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Geysir is reluctant to heap much praise on Wilson. He believes that he is liable to defensive laps, and positioning is not that of Stephen Ward. Ok I made the last 2 words up.
    Yes you made that up but at least you are consistent there

Maybe you have missed my posts where I have heaped praise upon praise on Wilson's football ability, where even in one post I have stated that he has, of(f) all our players, has the best ability to stroke the ball(s) across the park.

Have you heaped a higher praise upon him than me?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Look Lads and Lassies, the teams been picked, we just have to go with it and back the team
    We can discuss the rights and wrongs after the game tomorrow night.
    It's a game of football anything can happen, don't write us off just yet.

In Trap we trust (Just about!)

Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast