Page 3 of 60 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Mayo Junior Soccer

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Joe Joe

Your comment probably doesn't deserve a reply but anyway....
    Manulla and S & F are capable sides but as I said they don't have the strength in depth to challenge. Last Sunday Manulla had to play Barry Cuffe and Mark Basquill as centre backs for most of the game, not an ideal situation. Cormac Jennigns was played up front even though he is nothin but a central midfielder. They have good players but not enough of them.
    The same goes for S & F who had to play Denis McAlmont, a thirty-nine year old it well past it striker for the last two games and they have to play the best striker in Mayo, Johnny Jordan, at centre back because of lack of options there. And I did say that Ballyheane wouldn't score enough goals. Celtic and Westport are the only two teams to challenge consistently for the league over the past four years. Erris had two good years but are missing too many players now.
    Celtic played and beat Manulla the last day without Sean Reilly, Declan Reilly, Keith Burke, Dara Ainsworth and Stevie Ryan and still won 6-3. Westport started without Brian Kennedy, Joe Kelly, Kevin Joyce, Colin Nevin and David Hoban, all serious players. That is strenght in depth.
    So Joe Joe go back to the God forsaken hole that you just crawled out of unless you can substantiate your flawed comments.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Well said OscarBravo. I wasn't going to dignify joe joe's post with a response. The Ballyheane prediction was aimed at me. However I only ever said that they were my favourites for the Mayo League Cup following there Westaro victory last year and their strong start to the season. Should be a good game out in Snugboro this Sunday.

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Foot.ie!

Quote Originally Posted by OscarBravo
    Your comment probably doesn't deserve a reply but anyway....
    Manulla and S & F are capable sides but as I said they don't have the strength in depth to challenge. Last Sunday Manulla had to play Barry Cuffe and Mark Basquill as centre backs for most of the game, not an ideal situation. Cormac Jennigns was played up front even though he is nothin but a central midfielder. They have good players but not enough of them.
    The same goes for S & F who had to play Denis McAlmont, a thirty-nine year old it well past it striker for the last two games and they have to play the best striker in Mayo, Johnny Jordan, at centre back because of lack of options there. And I did say that Ballyheane wouldn't score enough goals. Celtic and Westport are the only two teams to challenge consistently for the league over the past four years. Erris had two good years but are missing too many players now.
    Celtic played and beat Manulla the last day without Sean Reilly, Declan Reilly, Keith Burke, Dara Ainsworth and Stevie Ryan and still won 6-3. Westport started without Brian Kennedy, Joe Kelly, Kevin Joyce, Colin Nevin and David Hoban, all serious players. That is strenght in depth.
    So Joe Joe go back to the God forsaken hole that you just crawled out of unless you can substantiate your flawed comments.
    I agree with everything you said OscarBravo especially the last line. in relation to what u said bout the above teams i feel that Manulla will finish possibly 3rd or 4th as they have a very gud first 11 but the squad is the problem. there is gud players cumin through however but its a bit soon. S+F always seem to pull of a few shock every year but i dont feel they are near gud enough. To me Ballyheane have more attacking option this year with joey maloney the two maughans added to the usual campaigners this is why i feel they may surprise alot of people (My own opinion Joe Joe so no need to get your mouse working over time) Erris seem to be bringing in a lot of young players so i cant see them challenging for it but i'd expect a strong second half of the season from them. Westport and Celtic are the big two left and with westports long long season (we saw what happened manulla lst yr after the conn. cup) this could be celtic year but they're no team to fear. My prediction is Celtic to sneak it. their due it.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    first of all i havent been very quiet its the first time ive gotten to da computer unlike everyone here who seems to b on the computer 24/7 who cares if mc almont is 39 hes playin brillant football and obviously u havent seen how excellently jordan has been playin at the back goals havent been a problem for them so far and wit players like paul fitzpatrick and ger gaughan(who has had trials wit glasgow celtic) they have a potentially great strikeforce also manulla granted are missin somethin upfront but they can also call on the likes of gary durkan and kevin mannion to bolster their ranks and in tommy walsh they have the best young centre back around so oscar bravo before you go shootin ur mouth off again get a few of ur facts up to date...

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    McAlmont ain't exactly producing the goods. Jordan would be class wherever you put him (I have seen him at centre back actually) but up front he is untouchable. Fitzpatrick and Gaughan have loads of ability but don't always deliver.
    How can you say S & F are producing the goods, their only win was against an Erris side with two eyes firmly on the youths cup, they just about managed to draw with Snugboro at the weekend with a late Dec Tighe goal saving them. They drew with Celtic in the first round of the league after a Celtic performance which led their management to resign.
    As for Manulla Gary Durkan is only average (anyone at the Celtic match on Sunday would testify to this) and Kevin mannion isn't even that. Agree that Tommy walsh is a class act but my point is Manulla's strenght in depth. They hadn't him on Sunday and then lost Ansboro. Then they had to rely on Cuffe and Basquill. I simply said they had lots of good players without naming them. Tommy Walsh was among that category. So is Kevin Ring, Dermot McNicholas, Ansboro and Malachy Byrne. But then there is a big drop. They have too many players who cannot step up to the Super League standard.
    Do i detect either a Manulla or S & F bias in your arguments?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    no im not biased at all all i think is that other clubs bar celtic and westport deserve a bit of credit for their acheivment for places of such small populations like manulla and ballyvary too for dat matter i know dey had a hard year last year and prob dis year too but i feel dey deserve great credit for makin the super league irrespective of their poor showing in the league its team lke these that make mayo football alll the better..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Foot.ie! Westport head

Westport head, can you compose a little composition on Westport United and its players, and how you rate their chances for the coming season? Who are the key players? Who is the manager? What is their home ground like?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Manulla

JoeJoe, you are right in that Manulla etc deserve tremendous credit for their achievements and their set-up. But what we are talking about is who is going to win the Super League, not who is punching above their weight

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"B" team soccer

ok fair enough managed to get a glimpse of the ballyvary b match against ballyglass b last week and for two teams who are in the bottom divisions in mayo they were really suprising what i expected was two long ball teams but the game was anythin but full of great skill and excitement and two great goals by ballyvary b to win the game their two respective "a" teams could take alot from them......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Gavin Dykes confirmed as manager of Castlebar Celtic under a two year deal. Interesting times for the club. Celtic will surely build on that with the vast pool of underage talent coming through.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    It sounds like a big risk to me, not that Gavin Dykes isn't a fine manager, but if what i've heard is true, he could leave Celtic financially in ruins.

He's rumoured to be getting somewhere from €300-€500 a week plus a "company" car with mileage paid for from Sligo where he works for FÁS. For a Junior soccer club, that's a lot of money. He's probably getting more than Leo Tierney at Mayo, although I think he is getting a substantial sum also.

Gavin also seems to be a bit of a disciplinarian although some might call it professionalism. All players A team to C team have to wear a shirt and tie to home games, and some type of trousers. Jeans are banned. For away games, players will be allowed to wear tracksuits. Also there is a strict time schedule to all games and training sessions. I strongly doubt that all these rules will stand the test of time. Although in a way it's good to see someone taking it seriously. Mayo soccer needs to take a step up. And of course there is no drinking 24 hours before a game. That's a good rule but if your serious about football, that's a sacrifice you should have forced upon yourself from the very start of your career(obviously after you've turned 18).

It's not in the fixtures but I think the Westport United-Castlebar Celtic game which was postponed on the first week of the season is fixed for next weeks Bank Holiday Sunday. What a game for Gavin's first game in charge. His second game is away out in Snugboro. The first Castlebar derby in the Super League.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Charlestown Ath.

Charlestown Ath 1-0 Fahy Rovers: The shock of the round in the AIB Cup. It would have been the other way round a couple of years ago when Charlestwon Ath had arguably the finest side in Mayo with some excellent underage players.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Its funny how the super duper league is taking some realistic shape following all the talk after the first few games! Not funny at all really! Come on the Boro.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts

Two horse race for Title

hi all,
    with regards to my name, i am from this area and think i know abit about soccer. Castlebar celtic or westport to win the title and i think celtic will win it cause westport will run out of stream near the end. they just play to much footy over the winter, i think. erris are gone already, they missing to many players but are building for the future if they can keep that under 18 team together from 2003, they come again. thats me views.
    Talk again,
    Swinfordfc

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Westport head
    although i sense a hint of sarcasim in your post ill just do that.

key players- martin gerathy -centre half.
    joe lawless- full back(should be playing in midfield)
    danny scahill- midfield
    These are def the key players in the utd team. untill this mess with the FAI is sorted out there will be a shadow over this team.had apoor result against celtic in the cup 2 weks ago although westport were by far the better team on the day.the game against mervue was a disaster, we looked tired that day and mervue were first to every ball, mcdonnell at the back for mervue was fantastic, easy to see why hes in the irish juinior set-up.

had a very good result against erris yesterday, tough conditions and rested half our team and came away with a very deserving 2-1 win.our strenth in depth is needed now to give other players a rest after what already has been along year.david hoban played very well up front for the suspended vinny o malley.joe lawless,dessie o malley, and gerry mc loughlin were also rested.

as for our chances for the mayo league, we will def be in the shake up come the end of the summer and i think celtic will be our only challengers.

the sports park is a joke, always has been and always will be. it was bad 5 or 6 years ago when i played, its terrible now.very bumpy in patches.

westport head just to let u know i am a pike supporter,u have probably heard about the abuse we are getting down here as we are supposedly the ones who initiated yer appeal.anyway just to let u know ye will always be welcome in pike rovers just as ye were the last time ye came down,ye should ignore the bitterness that goes on in limerick football and do what pike do,let the begrudgers have there say but class clubs like pike and westport will always shine through.and dont be one bit intimidated.
    bilko

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

correct.

Quote Originally Posted by whistler
    Westports Appeal Thrown Out By Fai Last Nite.
    Serves Them Right !
    A Lot Of People Think That Westport Are Scum After Their Failed Appeal.
    They Have Tried To Take The Limelight From Carew.
    As Afar As Im Concerned Westport Will Be Not Given Too Much Of A Welcome They Next Time They Play In Limerick !

limerick teams dont get much of a welcome off carew ,westport have every right to appeal ,its the fai that are wrong no one else,whistler ur typical carew trying to intimidate other clubs ye should crawl back under the rock ye came out of.ye have an awful habit of using the word scum wasnt that what pike were been called last week.have 1 good look at the antics that go on ,on yer sideline every week ye should take off those glasses ye wear cos ye see things no one else does.the only ones calling westport scum are carew so get off ur knees carews real colours have come to light this week when they more or less threw a game to ensure pike would have to wait to win league.westport head u should read the limerick page on this site and see how most decent football folk in limerick have come to their senses as regards carew.all carew did was start a vendetta against pike
    bilko

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    ur rite celtic look good but westport have the consistency and could do it again this year, but you know what they say its harder to retain the title than win it in the first place!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson
    Gavin also seems to be a bit of a disciplinarian although some might call it professionalism. All players A team to C team have to wear a shirt and tie to home games, and some type of trousers. Jeans are banned. For away games, players will be allowed to wear tracksuits. Also there is a strict time schedule to all games and training sessions. I strongly doubt that all these rules will stand the test of time. Although in a way it's good to see someone taking it seriously. Mayo soccer needs to take a step up. And of course there is no drinking 24 hours before a game. That's a good rule but if your serious about football, that's a sacrifice you should have forced upon yourself from the very start of your career(obviously after you've turned 18).
    The story is that Celtic players have to wear shirts and ties for all games, turn up for training in the club tracksuit 15 minutes before commencement and the players are not allowed to visit a public house and/or consume alcoholic beverages 48 hours before matches as quoted on a regional newspaper. That will surely test the discipline of the players.
    Last edited by Thunderblaster; 01/05/2005 at 10:36 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Joe Butler

Someone was on to me about a radio report that Joe Butler resigned from the Mayo League. Can anyone shed some light on the matter?

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Celtic lost their first Super League game under Gavin Dykes in Celtic Park today, losing 3-1 to Ballina Town. A very poor game from what I saw, with Celtic's defense having kittens every time Ballina attacked. Ballina even lost a man with 10 minutes to go for striking James Scott after Scotty had kicked the keeper. Scott went unpunished.

Page 3 of 60 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast