Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Article in the Mirror

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Article in the Mirror

There's a pretty good article on the Limerick side of 79-80 in todays Mirror if anyone wants to check it out, there's also a horrible photo of Eoin Hand in there that I must warn ye about too tho!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    You just put a question in my mind, Jebus. Was at a game, late 60's, in Caledonian Park between Caledonians(I think) and Geraldines (I think) - maybe they don't exist anymore. It was a junior game. There must have been at least 4,000 at it. I couldn't believe the size of the crowd! Do local derbies involving, say, Pike Rvs and Ballynanty etc etc still get bid crowds.
    Also, isn't it true that the biggest participation sport in the city is football (soccer)?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sirhamish
    You just put a question in my mind, Jebus. Was at a game, late 60's, in Caledonian Park between Caledonians(I think) and Geraldines (I think) - maybe they don't exist anymore. It was a junior game. There must have been at least 4,000 at it. I couldn't believe the size of the crowd! Do local derbies involving, say, Pike Rvs and Ballynanty etc etc still get bid crowds.
    Also, isn't it true that the biggest participation sport in the city is football (soccer)?
    Yes, soccer is by far the biggest participation sport. Don't know the eact number of junior clubs but it must be over 100 - obviously many of those have several teams as well.

Junior clubs get good crowds - especially for a big FAI Junior Cup game. Regular Premier division games e.g Pike v Fairview migth get a couple of hundred. Most wouldn't get nearthat. Thankfully this season - for the first time in a long time - the senior clubs gates are much higher on average than the junior ones.
    "It's impossible to make a man understand something when his livelihood depends on him not understanding" Upton Sinclair

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LFC in Exile
    Yes, soccer is by far the biggest participation sport. Don't know the eact number of junior clubs but it must be over 100 - obviously many of those have several teams as well.

Junior clubs get good crowds - especially for a big FAI Junior Cup game. Regular Premier division games e.g Pike v Fairview migth get a couple of hundred. Most wouldn't get nearthat. Thankfully this season - for the first time in a long time - the senior clubs gates are much higher on average than the junior ones.
    Thanks for that, LFC in Exile. I remember when the battle of the blues was the biggest derby in LOI - Limerick v Waterford. Jesus, the Markets Field used to be shaking!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    hopefully if we go up this year the derbies will be back. would especially look forward to limerick and cork city games. if we were both goin well in premier they would be massive gates

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Thanks for all that positive news, lads. Have a particularly soft spot for Limerick foot.ie. Played my first ever proper underage game (u-12 I think) in the late sixties for my just-formed local club against a Limerick team in Caledonian Park. They even supplied us with a full set of gear for the game plus a big slap up meal afterwards.
    Cool to see Carew Park back up here for The FAI Junior Cup. I'm sure none of the Carew lads were aware that their home city helped to get the ball rolling in this neck of the woods just over 37/38 years ago.
    If Athlone go up, hope the Blues are with us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    That Julie Etchingham signature is stone mad she aint all that

Shes doing all the election coverage for you now

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Would this be the season "we" won the league?I think it is!The team photograph was even afforded the back-page of Shoot!I was so proud to tell anyone who'd listen that Limerick were the LOI champs,only to be greeted by a mystifying look!Anyway,I actually gave it to my cousin,who happened to be staying with us at the time,because he apparently knew somebody in it!Not seen the photo since,unless it's the one in the other Limerick FC websites!I seem to remember the blue kit,with the team called "Limerick United"!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die
    That Julie Etchingham signature is stone mad she aint all that

Shes doing all the election coverage for you now
    Oh goody!!!! She gives great election!!!