Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Robbie to Celtic? Stay at Tottenham? Or somewhere else?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Robbie to Celtic? Stay at Tottenham? Or somewhere else?

Anyone see the doctored photo of Robbie in a Celtic jersey on the cover of Monday's Irish Daily Mirror. "Robbie's Celtic Dream" was the title. He said: "I was a Celtic fan growing up -- I think most of the lads in the Ireland dressing-room are -- and I always said that one day I would love to play here." The timing of the Ireland / Celtic friendly and Strachan's appointment as new Celtic manager (and the fact Robbie played for him at Coventry) probably just make for a good story. He'll be linked with any and every club this summer.

Naturally as Irish fans we'd rather our players in the EPL than the SPL. However, with Robbie's situation at Tottenham, could he be better off at Celtic? Barring something rediculous he would be in the Champions League, and play 90 minutes week in and week out.

Then again, I wouldn't like to see the Irish contingent at Tottenham breaking up. It does appear to be a club very much on the up, if only Robbie was a mainstay. So what would be in Robbie's best interests next season, even if the Celtic link, as it probably will, proves to be all talk. Celtic, Tottenham, or somewhere else?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    in my opinion he should stay at spurs where if he feels he is good enough he can definetly mark down a first team place i dont think jol is victimising him at all .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    This isn't the supporter of certain club in hooped jersey coming out in me but... Speaking to a couple of Spurs fans recently and they all seemed to say the same thing, Keane is very much the junior forward in any plans that Jol has at Tottenham, which means a lack of regular first team football. Not only that but the feeling was that Jol would look to cash in to buy in other areas.

I'd prefer to see him playing somewhere he'd get regular first team football, if thats Celtic then great, if not then at least somewhere he will be getting top flight (and possibly European football.) SPL wouldn't be a bad bet as he would be bound to score a hatful and so would be full of confidence for internationals.

(BTW a lad I know met Keane in a Leeds night club in 2001 on the night where Celtic had won the league apparently he told this lad that he wasn't all that bothered about Celtic winning the League as he was a Liverpool fan! I know all a bit 'must be true, bloke in the pub told me' but if its true then it would appear he is angling for a move away from Spurs as much as anything)
    Where am I now? I'm over here,
    I've got those empty pockets and I can't afford a beer.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boysingreen
    Anyone see the doctored photo of Robbie in a Celtic jersey on the cover of Monday's Irish Daily Mirror. "Robbie's Celtic Dream" was the title. He said: "I was a Celtic fan growing up -- I think most of the lads in the Ireland dressing-room are -- and I always said that one day I would love to play here." The timing of the Ireland / Celtic friendly and Strachan's appointment as new Celtic manager (and the fact Robbie played for him at Coventry) probably just make for a good story. He'll be linked with any and every club this summer.

Naturally as Irish fans we'd rather our players in the EPL than the SPL. However, with Robbie's situation at Tottenham, could he be better off at Celtic? Barring something rediculous he would be in the Champions League, and play 90 minutes week in and week out.

Then again, I wouldn't like to see the Irish contingent at Tottenham breaking up. It does appear to be a club very much on the up, if only Robbie was a mainstay. So what would be in Robbie's best interests next season, even if the Celtic link, as it probably will, proves to be all talk. Celtic, Tottenham, or somewhere else?
    As a Celtic fan I'd love to see Robbie in the hoops, it may well happen, I know the EPL is a bit better than the SPL but consider these.
    1)Robbie will never join a "bigger" club than Spurs in the EPL
    2)European football, Robbie must look with envy at his international teammates playing Champions League and UEFA cup football every few weeks, at 25 Robbie needs this stage not just for himself but his international career too would need it.
    3)Robbie probably will never win anything playing in the EPL

I dunno whats happening but at the minute I'd say its Bellamy that 1st option

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Some good points made above.

Anyhow. Ireland fan first here of course, Celtic second. I know sure as hell as a Celtic fan I'd love to see it. As far as Robbie and Ireland is concerned, I'm sorta on the fence. But the more I think of it, I could see next season far too easily being just another one for Robbie at Spurs (quite possibly a frustrating one).. whereas with Celtic, CL... who knows.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Robbie to Celtic

Imagine the grief any Irish player would get if when asked by the media they were to say "No I don't want to go to Celtic"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluesky
    Imagine the grief any Irish player would get if when asked by the media they were to say "No I don't want to go to Celtic"
    No matter what club a player is linked with I doubt he'd say "no I don't want to go to them". They usually just say something along the likes of "I'm happy here at Spurs and am willing to fight for my place". He wouldn't get any grief for saying that.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    from elevenaside.com

Irish international striker Robbie Keane insists he and Spurs manager Martin Jol have a good working relationship, and that he would be happy to stay at the club next season.

Keane has been the subject of feverish transfer speculation since a row with Jol during the Premiership clash with Birmingham City in April, in which he was an unused substitute.

The arrivals of three front-line strikers in Mido, Jermain Defoe and Fredi Kanoute over the past 18 months has left him with little certainty as to a starting spot, and Everton, Aston Villa and Celtic have been linked with moves for the Tallaght Tiger in recent weeks.

However, Keane insists he is content at White Hart Lane.

He said: “[The transfer rumour mill] doesn’t bother me. As far as I’m concerned, it’s just speculation. I’ve still got another year at Tottenham, and I’m quite happy there regardless of what people want to write about me and the manager.

“Just to clear it up now, me and the manager are grand, we get on very well and I’m happy there. If the chairman and the manager call me in and tell me differently, I’ll have to think about my future, but at the moment I’m a Spurs player and I’m happy that’s the case. I’ve a contract offer on the table at Spurs and I’ll focus on that after the two World Cup games.”

www.elevenaside.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy
    No matter what club a player is linked with I doubt he'd say "no I don't want to go to them". They usually just say something along the likes of "I'm happy here at Spurs and am willing to fight for my place". He wouldn't get any grief for saying that.
    Didn't Pandiani say something along the lines of "I don't want to be in Birmingham" shortly after signing for them on loan?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boysingreen
    He said: "I was a Celtic fan growing up -- I think most of the lads in the Ireland dressing-room are -- and I always said that one day I would love to play here."
    He said a similar thing about Liverpool before he left Leeds or Coventry. It was in the Irish Times, not that bin-liner the Sun.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.