Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2024 FAI Cup

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neish View Post
    IMO: I'm bamboozled as to how you can talk of the magic of the cup yet complain about too many junior/ intermediate teams being involved in the later rounds. Thats is exactly what make cup competition magic for me.
    For me the magic of the cup is in the huge since of occasions that the final has become. Same with there being sell out crowds for semi and quarter final with a winner takes all atmosphere.

I personally get no energy from an in season Galway being drawn against an out of season Glebe North. The games haven't been competitive for a long time and these clubs obviously don't really have any match going fanbases to create a real cup day atmospheres.

I realise it's an unpopular opinion. If we just had a proper pyramid playing in the same calendar I think we'd see much better matched cup ties in general. The gap in standard between Intermediate and Junior football with the LOI is only getting wider and I feel like it's a massive problem that needs to be solved for Irish football.

Genuine question - When was the last time there was a worthwhile (competitive) fixture between a premier and non-league team?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    If we are ever to create a proper football pyramid then junior clubs would be excluded from FAI cup entry (via FAI junior cup qualification). We keep talking about 3rd tier etc., but the real issue is how dysfunctional the junior and intermediate game is, in particular in Munster. How do we start to incentivise the top clubs in limerick, Waterford etc to join the Munster senior league? You would have very good top flight if the likes of Fairview, St Michaels, Villa FC played against the top Cork clubs. Right now it’s legacy things like local rivalries (especially in Limerick) and probably cost that prevents this - allowing junior clubs into FAI cup will do little to change the status quo either. It would be great if the powers that be in Munster could figure this one out for the best interests of the game.

3. Thanks From:

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yurt View Post
    For me the magic of the cup is in the huge since of occasions that the final has become. Same with there being sell out crowds for semi and quarter final with a winner takes all atmosphere.

I personally get no energy from an in season Galway being drawn against an out of season Glebe North. The games haven't been competitive for a long time and these clubs obviously don't really have any match going fanbases to create a real cup day atmospheres.

I realise it's an unpopular opinion. If we just had a proper pyramid playing in the same calendar I think we'd see much better matched cup ties in general. The gap in standard between Intermediate and Junior football with the LOI is only getting wider and I feel like it's a massive problem that needs to be solved for Irish football.

Genuine question - When was the last time there was a worthwhile (competitive) fixture between a premier and non-league team?
    You're looking at that from a Galway United perspective and it's understandable that an LOI Premier Division side won't get the magic of the cup going to an LSL/MSL/Junior side but it's the magic of the cup for the Intermediate/Junior club that yous might draw.

You could also ask the question when was the last time an LOI First Division side done well in the FAI Cup? Does that mean they shouldn't compete in it? Wouldn't be much magic for Galway the past number of years if that was the case.

A true FAI Cup incorporates League and Non-League sides like an FA Cup does in England.

Let us Non-League sides have our day out in the early rounds, you can enjoy your "magic of the cup" in a later stage - if you manage to get that far!

And to answer your last question, we had a very competitive game v Finn Harps in the cup last year, we only lost 1-0 and there really wasn't difference in quality at all, they avoided a banana skin and I'm sure a lot of other Non-League teams will say the same.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    2024 FAI Cup (First Round) Weekend 17th of May to 20th

Friday 17th May 2024
    Wayside Celtic (Dublin) v Collinstown (Dublin) 19.45

Saturday 18th May
    Midleton (Cork) v St. Francis (Dublin) 14.00
    Maynooth Town (Kildare) v Gorey Rangers (Wexford) 15.00
    College Corinthians (Cork) v Cobh Wanderers (Cork) 16.00

Sunday May19th
    Pike Rovers (Limerick) v Villa FC (Waterford)) 14.00
    Ballyfermot (Dublin) v Rockmount (Cork) 14.00
    Wilton (Cork) v Glebe North (Dublin) 14.30
    Cockhill Celtic (Donegal) v Ayrfield (Dublin) 15.00

Carrigaline United (Cork), Ringmahon Rangers (Cork), Leeds FC (Cork) & Kilbarrack (Dublin) received byes to the second round.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    58 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KilbarrackUltra View Post
    You're looking at that from a Galway United perspective and it's understandable that an LOI Premier Division side won't get the magic of the cup going to an LSL/MSL/Junior side but it's the magic of the cup for the Intermediate/Junior club that yous might draw.

You could also ask the question when was the last time an LOI First Division side done well in the FAI Cup? Does that mean they shouldn't compete in it? Wouldn't be much magic for Galway the past number of years if that was the case.

A true FAI Cup incorporates League and Non-League sides like an FA Cup does in England.

Let us Non-League sides have our day out in the early rounds, you can enjoy your "magic of the cup" in a later stage - if you manage to get that far!

And to answer your last question, we had a very competitive game v Finn Harps in the cup last year, we only lost 1-0 and there really wasn't difference in quality at all, they avoided a banana skin and I'm sure a lot of other Non-League teams will say the same.
    Athlone Town, Treaty United, Waterford FC and Galway United have all reached the last four of the competition in the last four seasons.

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Athlone Town, Treaty United, Waterford FC and Galway United have all reached the last four of the competition in the last four seasons.
    Correct, I'm aware of 6 instances that First Division sides reached the Semi Finals in the last 10 seasons of the cup. And while I'm not knocking their achievements, my point stands that compared to the Premier Division the First Division does not do nearly as well - and understandably so, but they equally deserve to compete in it is my point.

Similar to us Non-League sides not doing nearly as well compared to First Division sides, that's just how a football ladder works. We equally have every right in the FAI Cup even if the first few rounds isn't as glamorous for Premier Division sides. Let's not forget upsets Non-League sides have caused in this competition over the years too - hopefully one for Kilbarrack United this season if we get an LOI team!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind here but just to respond.

As Shearer has said first division clubs have actually performed really well in recent seasons. Many examples of first division teams picking off premier opposition. Same can't be said from non-league playing LOI. I would be interested to see how much better non-LOI teams would fair if they were also playing in a summer season.

My question was when was the last competitive game between a premier division team and a non-league side.

The point I am trying to get to is that I would much prefer to see a tie between a Kilbarrack team who are midseason playing Harps/Longford/Kerry rather than a pre-season Kilbarrack playing against Pat's.

I'll row back on the 'less non-league teams' comment because that's what people are focusing on but think better cup fixtures can easily be engineered with a few tweaks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,350 Posts

One of Harps worst performances of the year, in a ground that was a leveller, in one of our worst seasons in our history.

That's not much of a brag.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    412 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nr637 View Post
    2024 FAI Cup (First Round) Weekend 17th of May to 20th
    Saturday 18th May
    Midleton (Cork) v St. Francis (Dublin) 14.00
    College Corinthians (Cork) v Cobh Wanderers (Cork) 16.00

Sunday May19th
    Wilton (Cork) v Glebe North (Dublin) 14.30
    It's all happening on Leeside in the cup this weekend! Did/would the College Corinthians v Cobh Wanderers game draw a decent crowd?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    58 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    It's all happening on Leeside in the cup this weekend! Did/would the College Corinthians v Cobh Wanderers game draw a decent crowd?
    Their fourth meeting in 9 months, I can't imagine so regardless of the competition.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,350 Posts
    Cockhill Celtic 7-1 Ayrfield United

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    142 Posts
    if a non league club is drawn at home vs loi side can they play it at their home ground? or is there minimum requirements to host ? i.e stands etc

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    if a non league club is drawn at home vs loi side can they play it at their home ground? or is there minimum requirements to host ? i.e stands etc
    Well I have watched Bohs play in the cup vs Malahide in Malahides ground and I know a harps supporter on here has said before that they played Kilbarrack in Kilbarrack either last season or the season before so if there are requirements they would be fairly minimal i.e. able to manage crowds and check tickets

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,247 Posts
    Sheriff have used Fairview Park in Clontarf, which is an astro cage with goals on wheels, and markings for rugby in white and football in orange.

So yeah, I think "minimal" would be the right word alright!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    College Corinthians 4 Cobh Wanderers 5, winning penalty for Cobh in the 90+5 minute!

The magic of the cup!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    460 Posts
    Gorey Rangers had a 4-1 win over Maynooth University Town in this competition at the weekend.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    So yeah, I think "minimal" would be the right word alright!
    Pretty much, but what matters more is proper egress routes, stewarding, etc. for an much larger number of fans than usual. Rarely happens, I suppose, but could have moved grounds because of that.
    I remember Cockhill playing Sligo a few years back and moving the match to Maginn Park, maybe an example of it.
    Cockhill are in the first round again this year. An away trip to Buncrana in the middle of summer is most Derry fans ideal draw.

19. Thanks From:

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    Pretty much, but what matters more is proper egress routes, stewarding, etc. for an much larger number of fans than usual. Rarely happens, I suppose, but could have moved grounds because of that.
    I remember Cockhill playing Sligo a few years back and moving the match to Maginn Park, maybe an example of it.
    Cockhill are in the first round again this year. An away trip to Buncrana in the middle of summer is most Derry fans ideal draw.
    I remember us playin Cockhill in FAI cup 9 years ago away think it was Maginn Park where are Cockhill from again as game was in Buncrana or maybe Im wrong?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,350 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    I remember us playin Cockhill in FAI cup 9 years ago away think it was Maginn Park where are Cockhill from again as game was in Buncrana or maybe Im wrong?
    Cockhill are from Buncrana too.

They've done some work on their ground and will almost certainly host their home game if they get drawn as such.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    I think ideally what is now known as the 2nd round should be played either around now, or even two weeks later at the start of August.

The problem with having it in August is that the whole competition becomes really condensed, as happened in 2019.

1st round was weekend 11th August
    2nd round w/e 25th August
    QFs w/e 9th September
    SFs w/e 30th September

I remember this really disrupted the league that season.
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast