Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saddam executed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Saddam executed

Chances are by the time most of the people interested in this subject click on this thread Saddam will have been hung. His lawyer reckons it will be at noon tomorrow, but it could possibly be tonight.

This is obviously going to set off the violence in the current Civil War in Iraq again, and possibly push it to new heights, but all in all Saddam needed to be brought to justice for what he did to the Kurds, amongst others, so I'm not going to champion him just because he is an enemy of my enemy. I don't believe in executions as a form of justice, but who am I to tell Iraq how to run their country? If only America would have realised this and not gone head first into the district we might have had a better situation in Iraq than at present.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,250 Posts
    Jayz, they certainly didn't hang (sorry... ) about there, did they?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jebus View Post
    I don't believe in executions as a form of justice, but who am I to tell Iraq how to run their country?
    there isnt a 'they'. iraq is in anarchy at the moment with people pledging allegiance to various leaders and causes. that the american puppet government and the farce of a court (3 judges fired, one for apparently not hating saddam enough) should choose to hang him does not make it a representative choice of the people or any less barbaric.
    Your Chairperson,
    Gavin
    Membership Advisory Board
    "Ex Bardus , Vicis"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    He's been hung this morning at 3am Irish time[about 40mins time] afaik.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Will it make any difference?
    The Model Club

Tell all the Bohs you know
    that we've gone and won two-in-a-row
    and it's not gonna be three
    and it's not gonna be four
    it's more likely to be 5-1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Various news channels are saying he was executed in the last 10 minutes or so. Others saying it'll take place in a few minutes.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Saddam Hussein, his half brother and some other guy[can't remember who] have all been hung. All confirmed now. Only one TV channel[Government run, Iraqiya TV] was allowed in to film it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Capital "punishment"... What a joke.
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Shall we say R.I.P. or do people agree with what's happened?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    I don't agree with capital punishment but I don't think that RIP is fitting. I just think it is sad for humanity that this is one of the ways we deal with our problems. This is a better punishment than life in a prison? I don't think so...
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligoman View Post
    Shall we say R.I.P. or do people agree with what's happened?
    Yes I agree he's now dead.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    It's not that I agree or disagree with it. I do agree with the death sentence, but in this case...I don't see what benefit it gives (to say nothing about the conducting of the trial itself)

There is still going to be sectarian violence, there is still going to be car bombs, it is still going to be one of the most dangerous places on the planet, still a breeding ground for radical-ism..

What, if any, influence is it going to have?
    The Model Club

Tell all the Bohs you know
    that we've gone and won two-in-a-row
    and it's not gonna be three
    and it's not gonna be four
    it's more likely to be 5-1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    It's not going to make any difference to present-day Iraq, but it's not meant to. It's about bringing a violent, repressive, bloodthirsty animal to justice, for inhumane crimes committed on his own and other peoples for decades.

Personally, I find it distasteful that the punishment is being regurgitated (blow-by-blow) by the media in the run-up to it being carried out. I also find it revolting that it was filmed, and released to the media after the event. Why??
    Last edited by mypost; 30/12/2006 at 6:17 AM.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligoman View Post
    Saddam Hussein, his half brother and some other guy[can't remember who] have all been hung. All confirmed now. Only one TV channel[Government run, Iraqiya TV] was allowed in to film it.
    Actually only Saddam was executed. The others will be executed at a later date. Apparently the authorities wanted to keep this date linked with Saddam only.

Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    Personally, I find it distasteful that the punishment is being regurgitated (blow-by-blow) by the media in the run-up to it being carried out. I also find it revolting that it was filmed, and released to the media after the event. Why??
    According to CNN, it is being filmed so that images can be broadcast and prove without doubt that he is dead, and can never rule again. This may help to quell some of the violence.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    According to CNN, it is being filmed so that images can be broadcast and prove without doubt that he is dead, and can never rule again. This may help to quell some of the violence.
    Another great idea by the Americans

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan
    People/criminals regularly face the death penalty in Iraq. Are these filmed? Will we see what happened to his co-accused when they face the same treatment? No. It doesn't make good tv. Did we see images of Al-Zarqawi when he was killed? (after all he was a bigger threat to the Iraqi people than Saddam) No.

It's sickening that voyeuristic images like the "proof" of the penalty being carried out, are on open display on news bulletins and print media. The "proof" required is an excuse to show them, and won't make any difference to the sectarian civil war cycle currently in Iraq.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorymon
    If it wasn't filmed than conspiracy theorists would be allowed to make up more bullsh!t theorys involving this peice of sh!t
    Which won't make any difference. The wall-to-wall tv coverage is enough proof.

though it won't help matters in Iraq it may at least bring a little joy or feeling of justice to those who had to suffer under the son of a b!tch
    Iraq has far greater problems at the moment to be concerned about than this.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorymon View Post
    it may at least bring a little joy or feeling of justice to those who had to suffer under the son of a b!tch
    very true watching an interview with an guy today who had 7 members of his family arrested given a unfair trial and executed by sadam its hard to not think What goes around comes around ...finally .

will this end his grief ? probibly not, will it end his feeling of being utterly helpless ? , you bet your arse it will !

still think death is too easy on him but if he was in prison every attack that would follow would have the message "we ll keep this up untill he is released"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorymon View Post
    I know theres more to be worried about, but I'd assume someone whose father, mother, brother, sister etc. that was murdered by Sadam would take a little comfort from seeing him hung.

I believe it was an Iraqi channel that filmed it aswell, so its their desicion to film it anyways, so who gives a damn
    people in iraq have lost, and continue to lose, loved ones daily. killing sadaam will bring little relief to the people of that country. the thought that it may is an american propaganda message. watch the news (not CNN, SKY or the BBC though!).

nothing in iraq is currently democratic - government, media or employment. hopefully it will be some day but not for years to come.

BTW many islamic people do not believe that democracy is the best form of running a state and would rather have a state goiverned more in line with their religious beliefs however the west feels that everywhere should be run like 'free' countries like ourselves. are our western countries any better or safer than these countries? i'm not totally convinced

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    People/criminals regularly face the death penalty in Iraq. Are these filmed? Will we see what happened to his co-accused when they face the same treatment? No. It doesn't make good tv. Did we see images of Al-Zarqawi when he was killed? (after all he was a bigger threat to the Iraqi people than Saddam) No.
    It's necessary that it was filmed as Saddam had many impersonators(sp?) and I'm sure people will want to see it was definitely him who was killed and not a lookalike.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast