Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steve Coppell

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,708 Posts

Steve Coppell

Well, if it deserves a headline in The Irish Times, and the likes of Howard Kendall can get a thread to himself, then this man certainly does too.

Coppell back in frame for Irish job
    Paul O'Hehir
    Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Former Everton manager Howard Kendall is interested in the Republic of Ireland job and if appointed would bring Peter Beardsley in as his assistant. However, he is not viewed as a serious contender, unlike Reading boss Steve Coppell who is now back in the frame.

Kendall (61) has made discreet enquiries about succeeding Steve Staunton and could be among a dozen candidates interviewed by 'headhunters' Don Givens and Don Howe.

Terry Venables remains the strong favourite for the role although Gerard Houllier, Liam Brady, David O'Leary, Arie Haan, Graeme Souness and Roy Hodgson - among others - are also in contention.

But Givens and Howe are also expected to talk with Coppell - the former Crystal Palace, Brentford and Brighton boss - who hinted he could soon leave Reading after growing tired of day-to-day management.

The Reading boss was linked to the Ireland job last month and said he would relish international management. However, he quickly distanced himself from comments he made in relation to the Irish post.

But quoted today he suggests a break from the game could soon be on the cards. Should he leave the Premier League club, a stint in international management may suit.

The 52-year-old has been in charge of Reading for four years and orchestrated their promotion to the top-flight for the first time in their history in 2006.

"I can't enjoy management," he told The Sun. "I work all week to win a game. If we win I have an unbeatable high for 20 minutes, but then it's thinking about the next game.

"If we are beaten, it's a bottomless pit. It goes through my mind when I get beat, do I need this?"

Kendall said he put his name forward on the back of Venable's interest as he is adamant he holds a better CV than the former England boss.

"I do think I have a better CV than Terry," said Kendall. "That's what influenced me to go back into it. I thought, 'hang on, I have a better CV than him'."

Kendall made his mark at Everton but has also managed Blackburn, Manchester City and Sheffield United, not to mention Spanish side Athletic Bilbao during the 1980s.

He had three spells at the Goodison Park club before leaving in 1998 for an unsuccessful jaunt with Greek side Ethnikos Piraeus. He lasted just four months before getting the sack.

But that was eight years ago and Kendall has not managed since. He denies he has lost touch with the game and has urged the FAI to scrutinise his CV.

"I've had long enough out of it now and I feel it would be perfect for me and hopefully for them. I've made some enquiries," he said.

"I am in touch with the modern game, I write a column in the local newspaper and I go and watch Premier League football every week.

"I know who I would put in place. If he was interested, the likes of Peter Beardsley, I think he would be superb. I have spoken to Peter and he said he would love to work with me again."

Kendall said he "loved" Irish people and he is looking for a challenge with an "enthusiastic" assistant working alongside him. He is not interested in day-to-day club management.

Bookmakers make Kendall an outside 33 to 1 chance for the job. Coppell, though, represents better value at present odds of 40 to 1.

© 2007 ireland.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    i saw on ceefax yesterday that stated that steve coppell may be ready to step down at reading as he believes he has brought them as far as he can.
    personally he would be my 2nd choice to take the reins (1st being martin o'neill-but no chance this time for him).
    he has done well at quite a number of smaller teams in england bringing them higher up the league as anyime in their respective recent history.
    he has done well in cup competitions beating the 'big boys' at times. he also manages a good core of the irish lads at reading.
    he certainly would be my preferred pick rather than the names bandied about at thte moment.
    perhaps the 40-1 odds may be a backer???

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

two girls one coppell

plusses for coppell:
    • league managers assocation manager of the year last two years running.
    • got 3 premier league promotions (one was the highest number of points ever in the league)
    • finished 3rd in the league with palace, 8th with reading
    • fa cup final with palace
    • only 51 but been managing for 23 years

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Didn't realise he was 40/1??? If that's right I'll be having some of that. Very credible candidate and one I'd take in a heartbeat.
    Top Breeders recommend drinkfeckarse....

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drinkfeckarse View Post
    Didn't realise he was 40/1??? If that's right I'll be having some of that. Very credible candidate and one I'd take in a heartbeat.
    he's down to 20/1 ish in most bookies at the moment

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Of what's left Coppell and Hodgson (if he's stilll available) are head and shoulders above the other potential candidates. I'd personally take Coppell as I'd say he'd hang around if he was successful. Hodgson seems to have itchy feet when it comes to management similar to the far less capable Terry Venables.
    Last edited by youngirish; 05/12/2007 at 10:05 AM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,708 Posts
    I'm excited by this development.

Funny: the media are more than happy to quote Kevin Doyle & Stephen Hunt as being excited by Venables. I'd imagine it goes without saying they'd prefer Coppell, but would they ask them for an opinion?

Tuff Paddy - get down to the Madejski and ask them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    yeah if we failed to get Hodgson then Coppell would deffo be my second choice. Great record with lesser teams, has the respect of some of the Irish lads already and likes to play the game properly. I think he'd be good at keeping the prima-donnas grounded aswell....
    "Well I think they'll be a little disappointed with that" - Matt Holland on TV3 after 5-2 drubbing by Cyprus

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    Of what's left Coppell and Hodgson (if he's stilll available) are head and shoulders above the other potential candidates. I'd personally take Coppell as I'd say he'd hang around if he was successful. Hodgson seems to have itchy feet when it comes to management.
    Agreed, I really hope Coppell gets an interview, who else could you pick?

I'd love Hodgson as well, but I wouldn't be surprised if our headhunters didn't even know that he was still available for international management.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    yep those two and jol are the only serious gettable candidates i see being interviewed

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if our headhunters didn't even know that Hodgson was still available for international management.
    True, but it'd be unforgivable to think that. My cynical guess is that they'll hide behind the incorrect public perception that Hodgson is unavailable.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    everyone should be seen as available whether they're in a job or not. its like a club only signing players available on free transfers!!

back to coppell his granny is irish! thats it sorted then i think

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    I've backed Coppell for the England job. by far the best candiate for the Ireland job IMO
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    I would have Coppell over any of the other candidates if he truly wants the job. Although I can't see him or any top manager putting themselves through this farce of a selection committee. I believe this is what happened with Jewell. He was'nt offered the job and had no interest in going through an interview with a committee. I can't see Houllier or Hodgson agreeing to do interviews with a 3-man committee either. And then to be told that the 3-man committee does not have the final say on who becomes manager.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    I think one essential quality we require in our new manager is the proven ability to consistently get the best out of players who would not be regarded as the most talented and to have the team perform at a level greater than the sum of the parts.

I think Hodgson has proven that he is capable of this as has Coppell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I'd take Coppell in a second tbh.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,708 Posts
    I would as I think he's a super candidate. I also think he'd qualify under Tetsujin's expected criterion, i.e., that the FAI will go for the candidate least likely to be disapproved of by a lot of people.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I would as I think he's a super candidate. I also think he'd qualify under Tetsujin's expected criterion, i.e., that the FAI will go for the candidate least likely to be disapproved of by a lot of people.
    don't forget the big one - he's not Terry Venables.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Yes my second favourite. I mentioned Dalgish as my favourite in another post.

Would he be that good though, i guess time will tell
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Interviewed recently on Sky after Reading were tonked by Arsenal, Steve Coppell was asked to what he attributed the defeat.

Thinking for a second or two (as he does), he said "...Arsenal were better than us"

We could do with an honest manager, for a change

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast