Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Matt Holland

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by SÓCcfc
    Seán Thornton is a great great player, seen him a good few times now at underage for Ireland, he ran the show each time. He broke into the Sunderland team towards the end of the season.
    Yep he is class. Should give us a bit of variety on free kicks - he fancies himself as someone who bends it like beckham.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think Thornton just fancies himself as David Beckham full stop really, looks a great prospect though.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I don't rate holland, I never have. He looks like a china doll and doesn't play much better than one

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Originally posted by SÓCcfc

Liam Miller is another good hope if he can get away from Celtic

or break in to the first team???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Liam Miller seems to be more a part of Martin O'Neills plans than Colin Healy at the moment, he's expected to play in their pre-season friendly against man utd in seattle tonight.

from www.eleven-a-side.com

Irish under-21 international Liam Miller is in line for one of the biggest games of his fledgling career at Scottish giants Celtic when the Bhoys meet a strong Manchester United line-up early tomorrow morning.

The match, part of a seven-team pre-seaosn tournament, takes place in Seattle, USA, at 4am Irish time, and could see Cork lad Miller go head-to-head with fellow Rebel and Manchester United legend Roy Keane in the centre of midfield.

Miller has already made a couple of appearances for the Celts this pre-season, turning in a brilliantly promising 45-minute stint in last week’s friendly defeat of Premiership side Fulham.

And Celtic boss Martin O’Neill has revealed that he will have no qualms about throwing the 22-year-old in against United.

“Liam has always had the ability to make the grade, that has been evident for some time,” said the Ulsterman. “He’s 22 now and he’s had injuries in the last couple of seasons that didn’t help. But he’s getting stronger now and I’m hopeful that he will break through this year.”

Miller has been at Parkhead since 1997, and made two first-team appearances last season, in a Uefa Cup early-round meeting with Lithuanian side FK Suduva and a League Cup victory over Inverness Caledonian Thistle.

But with midfield pairing Paul Lambert and Neil Lennon reaching veteran stage, and Colin Healy apparently not part of O’Neill’s plans, the stage could be set for Miller to make an impact in the coming campaign.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Liam Miller played in the first half of Celtic's preseason friendly against Boca Juniors last night. He did fairly well, good touches, bit of pace to him although he was muscled off the bal a little easy (then he's only young). Looks a good prospect though.

Celtic won 1-0 BTW through Sutton, poor ill tempered game.

Beanie

Matt Holland

Holland is in the Charlton squad to play Blackburn tonite after recovering from ankle injury, although i am not a huge fan of his i think he could be a better option in the french match than Kilbane who was sloppy to say the least against the swiss, Hollands range of passing is often umambitious but he doesn't give the ball away as badly as Kilbane, I like Kavanagh but he might be just a bit gung-ho with his tackling for a start, better of bringing him on in second half to shore up midfield if needs be..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I would include Holland in the squad but would start kavanagh defintely. Kavanagh keeps the ball very well, he makes his presence felt in the center of the park and range of passes is excellent. We dont need mr invisible to put on one of his usual performances.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts

Matty Holland

im just trying to gauge public opinion here bout matt holland. from reading various posts over the last few months its appeared to me that many people really dont rate him that highly at all. this has suprised me as i have regarded him as a very neat footballer, a good leader and someone who can strike and head a ball. remember he was on the verge of costing villa 4m 2years ago. wats peoples opinions on him?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    he's muck. the most over-rated player in the ireland squad. he can manage decent 10 yard passes, and hits a good strike every 10 games or so. can't tackle, and isn't strong or creative on the ball. how he's kept kavanagh out of the team is beyond me

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    goes missing in the majority of matches and has done very little since the world cup. He's a different player for Charlton though. I don't think he's overrated as not many people rate him here anymore.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    783 Posts
    Like Kinsella, I thought he looked good playing beside Roy Keane at his peak. When Keane wasn't there he just disappeared from matches.

Can't see him becoming first choice again if everyone is fit.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Without Keane he let us down badly in the big games, absolutley woeful against Russia and Switzerland and I can't stress how woeful he really was. When he's not scoring he's basically not doing very much at all and basically completley disappeares so much so I've heard people call him Holland Hudini.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    if you were to believe the general feeling in many posts on the different threads here robbie keane, kilbane, harte, holland, kinsella, mcateer (and many others i'm sure) are all thought to be ranging from inconsistent to woeful while playing for Ireland..... its amazing therefore that we've reached 12th in the world and qualified for the last world cup from a very tough group unbeaten!! what standards do people rate these guys against??? its amazing what our other regular players have achieved over the last few years having had to carry those players listed above or are they next on the hitlist and we'll actually be led to believe that all our players are useless??!

Dublin or lost in a backwater called England
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    don't laugh... i have a season ticket for charlton.

Holland is over rated, the second he signed for us he was made captain, and imo he adds nothing to the team as such, dosent seem to stick up for other players when the ref is close to sending them off and generaly moped around for his first season and a half and seemed he didnt want to play for the team.

Kinsella on the other hand was class for us gave 110% every time and it was a real shame that he was sold to villa. He has said however that if possible he would like to return to charlton as a coach at some point

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    How much does a Charlton Season ticket set you back? Just wondering how it compares with the eircom League price wise
    Oh no not them again

Dublin or lost in a backwater called England
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SÓC
    How much does a Charlton Season ticket set you back? Just wondering how it compares with the eircom League price wise
    behind the goal is £280ish main stand is £480

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    I don't think he's as bad as some make out. And didn't his return from injury around October coincide with Charltons climb up the table. He's never going to be remembered as a legend but come on, do we expect every player that pulls on a jersey to be Duffer, or Roy Keane. This is the same ****e that used to be posted about Dave Connolly and Kilbane up until recently.

I'm as aware of players limits as most of you but sometimes these kind of threads take a life of their own and make the players out to allot worse than they are. Do we honestly believe that we are a better judge of player than people who have spent 20 odd years steeped in the game.

He's an average premiership midfielder. Where's the shock?? End of story.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon'o
    behind the goal is £280ish main stand is £480
    That's a great price considering it's the Laaandon area. Good value.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Holland is a good professional. He often does the unglamorous things that other players shy away from. He was never going to be another Roy Keane. I think some people on this board think we have the population of Brazil and expect to us to produce world class players willy-nilly. I think we are amazingly placed at 12th in the world. A remarkable feat and it is down to the commitment of players like Holland, Kilbane, McAteer, Kinsella.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast