Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

View Poll Results: Has Danny Drew been a good thing for Limerick FC?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

37 86.05%
  • No

6 13.95%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has Danny Drew been a good thing for Limerick FC?

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts

Has Danny Drew been a good thing for Limerick FC?

Personally I'm hoping this poll will show the club's owners that the majority of us are actually quite thankful they arrived on the scene...

I'm voting yes. Because in terms of structure and layout we're a lot better off than before. A ground with walls and a stand, an U-21's team, a programme (over-priced I'll concede), merchandise. Things have improved. And credit where it's due. So hopefully they'll realise that there's no need for such hostility.
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts

Also

Was gonna give a 'don't know' option but if you don't know don't vote, it's as simple as that!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Agreed..

Agree with you 100% SLK. Drews programme notes showed he doesn't lack any passion for the club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LFC BLUE
    Agree with you 100% SLK. Drews programme notes showed he doesn't lack any passion for the club.
    Agreed (isn't all this agreement nice for a change?) That said I'd like for DD to realise that the passion the support feels is no less than his own and to react a little better to criticism which is inevitable at times.

And before LFC In Exile reminds us that's there's too much criticism going on and it's understandable that he's frustrated much of the current criticism stems from the manner in which he expresses that frustration so he has effectively caused it by reacting badly to earlier issues that haven't been treated in any form and have thus grown and grown to unconfortable levels.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    [QUOTE=sadloserkid]
    And before LFC In Exile reminds us that's there's too much criticism going on QUOTE]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Despite some teething problems with fan relations I think the answer, when you compare the situation to the past number of years is an undoubted YES Well, in the short-term anyways, it will be interesting to see if we are still in the first division in four years time with Noel O'Connor still in charge

(So I think you can make that a qualified Yes from me )

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Lads, I'm only taking the Michael. After almost going out of existence, Drew is to be commended for taking a chance and getting the club in to some sort of decent shape again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LFC BLUE
    Assuming he wrote them of course, which he apparantly didn't according to what I heard last Friday. I voted no, for the simple reason that I would prefer to properly support a underachieving side that are hanging on financially by a thread very single season than support the kind of side that I'm watching presently. Seriously there's no passion amongst the supporters at games anymore and I put that down to the dislike of many supporters to Danny Drew and Noel O'Connor. A lot of fans I know wouldn;'t exactly mind the team imploding this season just so the pressure would be on the Drew/O'Connor partnership, myself included, which I think everyone can agree on isn't a great state of affairs to have at any club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lighten up Jebus

Whaaat!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are you telling us that you would rather spend another season above at The Pike with 40 or 50 supporters , where our squad was so small, our keeper often had to play up front, no money no structure no U21's and no home.No passion!!!!! and we saw loads of that last year didn't we Give me a break.............whatever DDrew has done to upset you put it aside, and look at what he has done off the field for one moment, had he not come in this season there would be no Limerick Fc, because the previous regime wouldn't have been able to attain a licence to play at The Pike Rovers Sportsground.I will admit DDrew has made mistakes by getting involved with supporters, If indeed he is Willie John he has learned not to get involved on this forum anymore, which is a start at least, everyone is critical of the club at times on this site, I include myself in that. Noc's team selections of late staggers the imagination and I have voiced my own opinions on that, but I have also said that he needs the season to see how far he has taken this squad.The whole structure has improved enormously since last year, and while results could be better I can't see any reason for your comments other than you having a personal gripe with the DDrew and Noc.
    Unity is Power, Power if shared is Strength, Limerick 37 serving the Community of Limerick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    While I'm still not sure whether NOC has been a good thing for the club considering our recent performances and tactics, I'm in no doubt that Danny Drew has been good for the club. Off the pitch this season is a different planet to last year. We had no ground, no money, no players and no future at the end of last season. Now look it! We may not be heading the right way at the moment on the pitch, but at least off of it things are improving. You have to give credit to Drew for doing what no-one else in the business community in Limerick seemed bothered with, and that was keeping senior football alive in the city.
    If you don't like John 3:7...
    There's always Limerick 37!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    We're better off now yes, but the only way was up to be honest. That said, the administrative side of things seems to be run well and I've always given Drew credit for that. No one is debating that. That side of things has been brilliantly done, and that's obviously where his strengths lie. (Apart from PR, which is no better than it was under the last crowd). You also have to commend him for sticking his neck out and taking a chance by putting his money into the club, when no one else would.

However, the football side of things leaves a lot to be desired, and that is what we're here for after all, for the football. On the pitch it's putrid stuff, no tactics at all, and the baffling thing is that some quality players have been shipped out\let go, some without having been given a chance. Some of those that are still there are not being utilised in their best positions. But NOC is the manager, so I guess we're going to have to put up with it.

Off the pitch, the treatment of certain players was disgraceful. The attitude of Danny Drew to the fans is shocking. Business acumen yes, running a football club - you've a lot to learn Danny. The paying supporter has a right to express an opinion, and if it's criticism, tough s**t paddy, you're just going to have to learn to take it. The fans of this club have also seen a number of different people take over the club down through the years, and so far, not one of them have delivered. We therefore have every right to be suspicious of Drew and co and what goes on at the club. We have every right to ask questions and every right to express annoyance at things that are blatently wrong. Drew came in last year, all guns blazing, saying he saw us being top of the premier and European football in five years, with a 7,500 all seater ground by 2010. All still possible, but equally, how do we know that it's not a load of hot air? We don't. The whole Willie John thing was laughable, and the saddest thing of all was going around Hogan Park asking people to point him in the direction of posters on here, just because we aired an opinion. "Who is 4tothefloor, who is Nempton, who is jebus?"....etc. What Drew must understand is that we were here before him, we're here now and we'll still be here long after he is gone, when\if ever that happens.

Put it all together and it's no wonder the fans are deflated. Why was McCarthy made leave? Why is Drew calling the fans "Scumbags"? Why is he seeking out individual supporters (I know of another who was singled out at Hogan Park, doesn't post on here so it's not just foot.ie users). Why can't NOC pick a team properly? You're third option SLK should have been 'Yes, but with reservations'. Thats my opinion
    Last edited by 4tothefloor; 08/08/2005 at 8:25 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sadloserkid
    And before LFC In Exile reminds us that's there's too much criticism going on and it's understandable that he's frustrated much of the current criticism stems from the manner in which he expresses that frustration so he has effectively caused it by reacting badly to earlier issues that haven't been treated in any form and have thus grown and grown to unconfortable levels.
    That's fair enough comment. BTW I don't have a problem with criticism - I think I am one of the most critical if you look at my posts - but its the constant one-sided stuff that gets me. Maybe the problem is that I am just as quick to criticise other posters as the club. This poll shows I think that most of us appreciate the positive developments even when we are unhappy with team performances etc.

I am stunned at the comments of Jebus - was he at the Pike? It was dreadful - I never want Limerick to go back to that. If nothing else happened this year except getting us back to our own ground then it has eben a success.
    Last edited by LFC in Exile; 09/08/2005 at 9:38 AM.
    "It's impossible to make a man understand something when his livelihood depends on him not understanding" Upton Sinclair

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jebus
    A lot of fans I know wouldn;'t exactly mind the team imploding this season just so the pressure would be on the Drew/O'Connor partnership, myself included, which I think everyone can agree on isn't a great state of affairs to have at any club.
    Then I wouldn't call them fans. At that stage your personal dislikes are getting the way of your support for the club and you are guilty of that of which you accuse DD.
    "It's impossible to make a man understand something when his livelihood depends on him not understanding" Upton Sinclair

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LFC in Exile
    . This poll shows I think that most of us appreciate the positive developments even when we are unhappy with team performances etc.
    That's why I put it up here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Seriously there's no passion amongst the supporters at games anymore
    Agree with you there I mean, for God sake at the Kilkenny game there were people sitting down in the middle of the Shed, right behind the goals

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    there's no passion amongst the supporters at games anymore
    A lot of fans I know wouldn;'t exactly mind the team imploding this season
    Any connection between the two perhaps?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    The level of chatter in the shed end was quite amusing especially during the first half. It's becoming more of a social event where fellas catch up with their mates at the end of the week. Nobody seemed to notice there was a match going on and to be honest they were better off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Right better explain myself! Yes Limerick are better off financially now than when we were at Pike, thats obvious to anyone. We have a u21s side that seem to be doing well enough (I don't go to those games because I'm not made of money), yes we have more supporters going to matches, we have a better ground and a better squad than last year, and yes that is due to someone with money coming into the club and investing. All well and good, only that I would much rather have a better chairman at the club than Danny Drew. The man, whilst pumping his money into the club, has taken it upon himself to install himself as lord and master of Limerick Football Club, whatever he says goes and to hell with what the paying customer thinks, they're only scumbags anyway. This type of behaviour, along with the sacking of Kerley, the hiring of O'Brien, the loss of Fyffe, the Willie John affair, the non student pricing policy adopted for a while, the sacking of McCarthy, the covering up of why CP took a sabatical because he's a friend and the whole O'Connor management disaster makes me think he hasn't been a good thing. In a way I should have worded my original post more like 4tothefloor did in his, as in a option of 'yes, but with reservations' would be better, but then again there have been times this season when certain fans have stuck certain heads in the sand over Danny Drew's conduct at this club, (and there are a few more examples which I can't mention), for the simple reason that they don't want to upset him. Said fans have come around to our point of view in regards to O'Connor's appointment, as is shown in the Kerley/O'Connor poll, so how does my opinion on this warrant such a reaction?? Time will tell who is right on this, but I would bank money on Drew uping sticks and leaving Limerick in the lurch in the future (theres already rumours going about about him wanting out) and us returning to the 'old Pike' days, which might I remind people included more than just last season? Fair enough we didn't have as much of a crowd as we should have for the promotion push of 2003, but that has more to do with Limerick City's disgraceful support of football than Danny Drew's influence on the club. I don't want the 3 Amigos back, but I also don't want Danny Drew in charge of this club, so thats why I voted no on this poll.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Fair enough we didn't have as much of a crowd as we should have for the promotion push of 2003, but that has more to do with Limerick City's disgraceful support of football than Danny Drew's influence on the club. I don't want the 3 Amigos back, but I also don't want Danny Drew in charge of this club, so thats why I voted no on this poll.
    Ok but then how do we have between 400-600 supporters at home games now as opposed to 150-250 in 2003.He must be doing something right.Clubs will always do things to pi$$ people off, jaysus look at Shamrock Rovers, their supporters were paying to keep the club afloat from their own pockets and I'm not just talking about paying to see them play.If anyone in this country should have something to moan about its them. When they did eventually take it over they put the whole squad on the transfer list. Why would supporters do such a thing as get rid of their best players???? because now they have to think as businessmen and not just supporters.
    What ever DDrew has done with regard to McCarthy, and all the others that have left, I sure it has been done with the best interests of the club in mind.I agree he has made mistakes but its up to him to learn from them. He is a young man and this venture is all new to him, of course he's going to balls up somethings and loose the head at times, and getting involved with supporters was his biggest mistake, but I can't help feeling that if he did ever pull out, and I hope for the sake of senior soccer in the city he dosen't, it will have been down to the differences that should never have been allowed to escalate to the level we have now.Running any club is difficult let alone running Limerick Fc who if things were done right in the eighties we'd be up there with the likes of Cork City now instead of whinging about off the field matters all the time.The guy has just taken over the club, let him learn to walk before he can run.
    Last edited by Westside; 10/08/2005 at 12:15 AM.
    Unity is Power, Power if shared is Strength, Limerick 37 serving the Community of Limerick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    I would bank money on Drew uping sticks and leaving Limerick in the lurch in the future
    Wouldn't surprise me, his behaviour so far says to me that he doesn't have the head for criticism or the rumour mill that is part and parcel of football, and this is why he has reacted so badly to it. I hope he does learn, and stay on, and the first thing he should do is get rid of his internet connection and stop coming on here, as this is a fans forum. It's the last place a chairman should be coming to. What's he going to do, search out each individual who makes comments that are not to his liking, and accuse them of being 'Poster X' on foot.ie and then ban them from the ground? Not a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Westside
    The guy has just taken over the club, let him learn to walk before he can run.
    We'll gladly let him learn to walk, but he's going a funny way about it. He's the one challenging fans, not the other way around...Criticising fans initiatives such as the Galway500 for example is not on, it just burns bridges. That was all Drews doing, steming from his bad attitude to the fans. No need for it at all

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast