Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Gutsy Seery's Rocky road to Dublin City

Gutsy Seery's Rocky road to Dublin City

Soccer

Liam

Kelly

THE name is Rocky Seery not Rocky Balboa, but the little guy with big ideas has guts and huge ambitions.

Seery, son of the late Home Farm co-founder Don Seery, admits he's obsessed with Dublin City and wants to see them play inEurope.

Right now he'll settle for his team giving Shamrock Rovers the big KO in the second leg of the promotion/relegation play-offs at Tolka Park tomorrow night.

If City can capitalise on their 2-1 first leg lead to clinch a spot in the Eircom League Premier Division it will represent an amazing turnaround in fortune.

Seery - christened Ronan but known far and wide as Rocky - and his club were on the ropes in January. Yesterday he was bombarded with calls from media, supporters and well-wishers.

Setanta Sport were on early to negotiate live TV rights for the second leg promotion/relegation play-off which will start at 8.05 tomorrow night.

The Dublin City fans were even locked in at the School End at Dalymount Park for 10 minutes after the final whistle following their 2-1 victory on Tuesday as a safety and security precaution.

Security

Seery was among them. The chairman and owner of Dublin City and the fans were guarded until the security people were satisfied it was safe for them to leave.

He couldn't help but see the funny side.

"You know you've arrived when your supporters are held back at the end of the game. We normally have to lock people in to get them to watch a match!" he quipped.

Live TV coverage is also a first for Dublin City, even though that's a reflection of the public's morbid desire to see if Shamrock Rovers will be relegated.

No matter. From Rocky's point of view, this match gives his beloved club a shot at promotion to the Premier Division and a huge boost in terms of public profile.

"This is the buzz you live for. People who didn't want to know us are suddenly talking about us and wanting to write about us and televise us.

"It's great. This is what it's all about and it's a chance to show people there's something good happening in this club. I know the match is still very much alive. It's a Cup final situation, and even the best of teams can lose a Cup final.

"I don't want to consider the prospect of losing and I've got my fingers crossed that it won't happen, but whatever the result, I'm very proud of Dermot Keely and everyone who has done so well for the club.

"Lots of people are talking about 'poor Rovers' but what about us? We've put ourselves in this position to win promotion and if we can do it, we will deserve it, no question about that."

A year ago Dublin City had been relegated from the Premier Division and were left reeling after the sudden departure of manager Roddy Collins to Shamrock Rovers with three games left to go in the season. It was a hammer blow. Seery says: "To this day I don't know the reason why."

The Hoops stayed up; Dublin City went down to the Division which Seery calls "The Graveyard."

Devastated by the loss of Collins, deep in the financial mire after a financial outlay for 2003/'04 costing over €400,000, it looked all over for Seery and for City.

He's a one-man band with a dream to see his team based at a modern, all-purpose facility and capable of competing in European football.

That looked like pure fantasy at the start of 2005.

No team, relegated, and with no crowd support. It was no wonder many people asked Seery: "Is it all over?" Others told him: "Get real, get out. It's finished."

Rallied

Somehow Seery, 46, rallied again, like so many times since he took over when the club split from its Home Farm amateur roots in 1996.

He admits the dark days were January, February, and March of this year as he tried to re-motivate himself to knock on doors and get businessmen to fund one more campaign.

A whole new team had to be built. Thankfully Dermot Keely came out of retirement to give Rocky a dig out as manager after a call-up when Collins departed.

All of Keely's experience is needed now, but he paid tribute to Seery: "I don't know how the little man does it. He's been brilliant. Every week he comes up with €5,000 to pay the wages and the players have been very well looked after. If we do go up he'll deserve it and so will everyone connected with the club."

Finding it hard to 'back' a winner? Why don't you 'lay' a loser instead? - sharp minds click here

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independe...issue_id=13312

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    That's what football is about, passion, spirit and belief. If more teams in the EL had the likes of Rocky in charge they would all be in a better state of football.

I have said it before on this site that if you knew Rocky and what he is about then a lot of the begrudgers would not begrudge but instead admire his talents as a football champion win, loose or draw.

C'Mon City.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek
    That's what football is about, passion, spirit and belief. If more teams in the EL had the likes of Rocky in charge they would all be in a better state of football.

I have said it before on this site that if you knew Rocky and what he is about then a lot of the begrudgers would not begrudge but instead admire his talents as a football champion win, loose or draw.

C'Mon City.
    Seery=Little Ollie

If everyone was like them, there would be NO Irish football. C.unts the pair of them
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringo
    THE name is Rocky Seery not Rocky Balboa
    He resembled the latter the last time I was talking to him, and I still haven't forgotten this insult that he came out with after on the official site.

I'm with Dodge on this one.
    Cork City: Making 'Dream Team' seem realistic since 2007.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

?

Cant access any links what did it say?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    The game was marred by a disgraceful display by a minority of so called Cork `fans' who congregated behind Ryan's goal for the second half and hurled non-stop scurrilous abuse at the former Rovers netminder.

The abuse was so vile that Dublin City chairman Ronan Seery made a personal plea to desist but the morons simply turned their vengeful rant on Seery with some continuing to hurl a barrage of foul language after the game.

Said Seery: "I've been involved in League of Ireland for many years and the conduct of those so called fans was the lowest I have ever witnessed in all my years. They were a disgrace to the club, their city and their county and a sad indictment of their complete lack of intellect and moral fibre. They were simply a pathetic band of idiots."

"We can accept defeat with grace on the field of play, but to single out an individual like they did and rant on in a very personal and individual way, was simply a disgrace and Cork must shoulder a sad burden that part of their following baggage is made up of nothing better than lowlife scum."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

haha

I think he got the cork fans mixed up with Ryan in regards that statement
    Barry Ryan takes it up the nose

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    Seery=Little Ollie

If everyone was like them, there would be NO Irish football. C.unts the pair of them
    Spot on there. BTW where does he come up with €5,000 a week????

KOH

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    no-one deny's he has passion and commitment to the cause.

hitler had passion adn commitment to the cause of wiping the jews off the planet.

doenst mean its a viable business plan or any less doomed to failure. why oh why did rocky not buy rovers or pats, or start a franchise somewhere that there is a market?

he certainly doesnt strike me as entreprenuer of the year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Trader
    Was the chanting that bad ?
    "Barry takes it up the nose"
    That was it

It's already been done to death here, Anyone who was there that night and tarred a scumbag by him hasn't forgotten him though. My reply about halfway down the first page is exactly what happened
    Cork City: Making 'Dream Team' seem realistic since 2007.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Foot.ie! Rockin The Boat

Quote Originally Posted by tiktok
    He resembled the latter the last time I was talking to him, and I still haven't forgotten this insult that he came out with after on the official site.

I'm with Dodge on this one.
    What the hell? Rocks was merely directing that Im sure at the fans involved. Dont get so beat up bout it. Jesus...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    725 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blueviking1980
    What the hell? Rocks was merely directing that Im sure at the fans involved. Dont get so beat up bout it. Jesus...
    Well if you'd took the time to read the post from Tiktok in the link he provided, you'd have realised he was one of the fans involved. I'd take his word over Seary's on what happened too.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Seery is absolute scum, pure and simple. He is a rotten, obnoxious little egomaniac. Fans of his team are not supporting a club, just keeping his pathetic little ego trip going a little longer. The sooner his little franchise disappears the better for everyone, and him with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Éanna
    Seery is absolute scum, pure and simple. He is a rotten, obnoxious little egomaniac. Fans of his team are not supporting a club, just keeping his pathetic little ego trip going a little longer. The sooner his little franchise disappears the better for everyone, and him with it.
    Totally agree with all of that, couldn't have put it better myself.
    Champions!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Seery was a supporter of Wimbledon's proposed relocation to Dublin because he hoped all other EL clubs would sink to ICBINHF's level. I know that because he told me. He would gladly see the EL sink into the abyss if it meant that his irrelevant franchise became competitive.
    For that, and no other reason, I hope he dies screaming.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    fair play Rocy

"They were simply a pathetic band of idiots."

"nothing better than lowlife scum."