Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Giles, Dunphy, Brady and Billo

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Giles knows nothing about anthing other than the Premiership. He admits he doesn't watch european football dispite being a pundit paid to analyse CL games...
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    Houghton and Trevor Steven are poor for RTE
    If we're looking for Irish people than Steven isn't an option but I believe he is by far the most knowledgable pundit on RTE. He knows most modern day footballers and that is needed as the other's haven't a clue.

Giles is the most overrated pundit out there in my opinion. He not only knows very little about modern day football but I don't even know how he got into management. Wenger said the other day that Arsenal were a lot more conservative when they had the ball in the 2nd leg against Juve and that keeping possession was the most important thing. Giles said he didn't believe him and why would he change his gameplan for the 2nd leg. I think it's a bit obvious that when you're 2-0 up there's no reason to take risks. He also doesn't seem to understand that just because he may not have been affected by confidence or the pyschology of sport as a player, the same doesn't apply to every player out there.

I think Giles was taking over from the sick Dunphy on Wednesday. He also said that he didn't believe Strachan wanted to sign Keane. He said Barcelona are not a good team, they're probably the best team in the CL, bad teams don't win the CL.

Ger Gilroy: "So, John, what do you think of Spurs' knew manager, Jaques Santini?"
    John: "Serious, I didn't hear anything about it".
    Ger: "Yeah, it was announced today".
    John: "Oh, Tottenham seem to be changing everything now. Who's Santini by the way?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete
    Giles knows nothing about anthing other than the Premiership. He admits he doesn't watch european football dispite being a pundit paid to analyse CL games...
    So thats what he does. He doesn't bring (much) baggage with him but comments on what happens during the game.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    What I like about Giles is not that he knows the career stats of the players but that he understands and interprets the game very well.

In fairness Andy Gray can do it on Sky but Sky is setup for tabloid banal coverage rather than deep analysis. RTE allow Giles et al to do proper analysis.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Next there will be moans about the type of adverts shown at half time.
    Watching Ireland, enjoyment depends 100% on the game.
    For any game I am watching I am happy enough with a commentator who efficiently names the player on the ball,describes the referees actions, says f'eck all else, and a co commentator who says little but agrees with me.
    Too much emphasis is focussed on what the pundits are on about.
    Can you imagine at half time in a game, the pundits taking their place in the centre circle and pontificating about the game to the crowd.
    At 1/2 time I have more pressing engagements to fulfill in my home, at full time in the Kerr era coincided with too many post match despair moods to seriously care what the pundits say.
    For neutral tv viewing, the 2 man show TG4 live coverage of the EL games is tops.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy
    Giles is the most overrated pundit out there in my opinion. He not only knows very little about modern day football but I don't even know how he got into management.
    That's because you know a lot less about Giles the footballer/ manager/'superlative soccer technician' than Giles in your opinion knows about modern day football.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir
    That's because you know a lot less about Giles the footballer/ manager/'superlative soccer technician' than Giles in your opinion knows about modern day football.
    I'm not going to let how good he was as a player cloud my views of him as a pundit. He's brutal on RTE and brutal on Newstalk, in my opinion. You'd have to be at least 45 to remember Giles playing football which I'm not so you're right, I know very little of Giles the footballer. Would you like to elaborate on why you disagree with my post other than the fact that Giles was a fantastic footballer and did ok in a management stint 30 years ago?
    Last edited by eirebhoy; 11/04/2006 at 5:46 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy
    I'm not going to let how good he was as a player cloud my views of him as a pundit. He's brutal on RTE and brutal on Newstalk, in my opinion. You'd have to be at least 45 to remember Giles playing football which I'm not so you're right, I know very little of Giles the footballer. Would you like to elaborate on why you disagree with my post other than the fact that Giles was a fantastic footballer and did ok in a management stint 30 years ago?
    You are entitled to your views about Giles as a pundit.
    But you wrote
    I don't even know how he (Giles) got into management
    I replied that you know little about Giles.... otherwise you would know how he got into management
    He was nominated as the successor to Don Revie by Revie himself.
    So obviously Don and apparently most of the Leeds players as well thought Giles was a natural for management.
    You say he did okay as a manager.
    He became player coach at West Brom and is well regarded there. Built up a very good team, played passing football and laid the foundations for Atkinson who inherited that good team.
    His Irish managerial stint is well documented and the leap in standards for the Irish team is a matter of record not opinion. He frankly admits that he did not enjoy being manager.
    I think you are letting your views on Giles as a pundit cloud your views on Giles the football genious and a more than decent manager.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir
    I think you are letting your views on Giles as a pundit cloud your views on Giles the football genious and a more than decent manager.
    This thread is not about how good he was as a footballer or manager though. I think he talks some rubbish on RTE which is why I questioned how he got into management. You're right, it is my opinion and I'm probably wrong.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    You can always regard Giles's punditry as an old war hero receiving his deserved pension.
    Was Santini worth knowing about?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    he is brilliant on newstalk!!!
    some people on here are just footballing versions of trainspotters...

Formerly: wild rover
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadend
    Andy Gray is one of the worst pundits around, he turns you off wating matches.

in fairness he does that to everyone....its a known fact andy gray turns no one on

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    The ideal trio would be---Denis Cruise as the anchor man and the two analysts would be Noel Kennedy and Pat Quigley. Now, that would be fun!!
    Never play leapfrog with a unicorn!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12