Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fcum

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts

Fcum

Any idea how they're getting on? Heard they got over 3,000 for their first game. Are people turning up with the plc's merchandise? Is the crowd kids or hardcore?

(BTW this isn't a wind up thread just wondering)
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I'd say the novelty has worn off,just like the protests and they've all crawled back to OT,not many empty seats there.
    MOT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,328 Posts
    Regular match reviews and updates on manchester online here: http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/sp...ball/fcunited/
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dublin12
    I'd say the novelty has worn off,just like the protests and they've all crawled back to OT,not many empty seats there.
    Just a qiuick look there and crowds growing apparently.
    ---

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dublin12
    Erm no Crowds are getting higher - over 3000 last week. They're running away with their league and the momentum seems to be growing. Whats interesting is that many United fans are supporting both teams. Even those who renewed their ST are going down to Gigg lane when United are playing away from home. The atmosphere at FCUM games is supposed to be magic
    JERRY: But are you still master of your domain?
    GEORGE: I am king of the county. You?
    JERRY: Lord of the manor.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    3808 on Saturday actually. It's getting bigger, not smaller. And if every game has an atmosphere like Saturday had then there will be no stopping them - everyone there will be getting others down there.

Dublin 12, Glazer has been sending around begging letters to try and get people to renew their memberships by offering them season tickets next year if they renew

Dodge - proper mix of people. No jester hat knobs though.

Punk football - it's the future (and it's something the eL should be trying to tie in with as we're like the CBGB's of it imo).
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy

Punk football - it's the future (and it's something the eL should be trying to tie in with as we're like the CBGB's of it imo).

el football led the way, you'll never have stadia as crap as ours or laughable playing and administrative standards......no matter how much money you FCUM'ers plough into ure new franchise

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    75 Posts
    Dodge - Here's an interesting piece that gives you a flavour.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/comme...585425,00.html

Obviously I'm 100% behind them and we swapped stories and advice with them when we were doing our takeover.

Also, we're hoping to enter the Supporters Direct Cup next year along with FC United and AFC Wimbledon. Plus, there's talk of FC United coming over here for a friendly.

IT'S THE PEOPLE'S GAME. LET'S TAKE IT BACK!!!

KOH
    No One Likes Us, We Don't Care

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    I meant "we" as in the eL. Drop the inferiority complex wws....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    He definitely doen't have an inferiority complex...

Decent article. Sounds a lot like the el alright...
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yiz are the á l a carte catholics of the football suporting world at the minute

Glazer takes over - fook that
    its too commercial - lets go to gig lane to keep it real
    thats great - proper football - flat caps
    oooh look season started United v Liverpool - cmon rooooney!
    thats crap - sterile premiership rubbish
    back to gigg lane - ahhhhh old pies
    look blackburn are in town can sir alex turn it around???
    we lost - you overpaid mercenaries im off to watch proper football!
    oooh Oasis
    yeah!

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,253 Posts
    FCUM website. Top of theleague by six points, though other teams have two games in hand.

Slightly off topic (apologies), but AFC Wimbledon are currently sixth in the Ryman Premier after two successive promotions - six draws in their last eight! Out of the FA Cup too. Think FCUM are a couple of promotions away from that - is there a lower level for teams to enter the FA Cup? AFC didn't enter in their first two seasons.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu
    Think FCUM are a couple of promotions away from that - is there a lower level for teams to enter the FA Cup? AFC didn't enter in their first two seasons.
    You have to be in the FA Vase to enter the FA Cup. FCUM weren't registered early enough for this years, so they'll be in next years, with entry into the FA Cup the following year.

It's very like the eL imo, although with a better atmosphere. Nearly the whole crowd singing the whole time (and that's without away fans).

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    From the Guardian....

'Maybe now we'll be taken seriously'

While most eyes were on Old Trafford last Saturday, there was something else afoot in another part of Greater Manchester. Tony Howard, one of the founder members of FC United, reports on another memorable week for the club

Wednesday October 12, 2005

While most eyes were on Old Trafford last Saturday, there was something else afoot in another part of Greater Manchester. As the city's Metrolink tram system carried England supporters towards the city's most famous football landmark, thousands of fans were travelling the other way to watch FC United of Manchester play at Gigg Lane, Bury.
    The club has enjoyed a week that will live long in the memory. On Wednesday night, all known North West Counties League attendance records were smashed when 3,110 fans piled in to witness a 1-0 victory over Oldham Town - more than Manchester City pulled in for a first-team game against Mansfield at Maine Road in 1998. The turnstiles in the popular Manchester Road End had to be shut at kick-off and fans still queuing were directed into the Main Stand.

Things got even better. As England laboured past Austria, 3,808 FC United fans saw the club drub Daisy Hill 6-0 and go six points clear atop North West Counties Two. That's more, ahem, than turned up to watch the World Cup qualifier between Lithuania and Serbia and Montenegro on the same day.
    The supporters used the lack of Premiership fixtures to welcome any supporters of 'big' United who had not yet sampled the FC experience; joining in a 'United for United' day. A chance for Reds of all opinions to see what the fuss was about.

It was an important day for the Manchester United family. No one would deny there have been a few debates between the 'splitters' who made the ultimate sacrifice by walking away from the world's biggest football club, and those who chose to stay. Some say they can never support another team, but to those there on Saturday FCUM are as much a part of the vast United family as MUFC. 'United We Stand' goes the saying.

FC were formed with the aim of returning football to its long-forgotten roots and, as the masses queued up outside the Manchester Road End, they could have been forgiven for thinking they had made a welcome trip back in time.

Bar scarves, flags and once-obligatory rattles were the order of the day - there was even the odd Butchers coat, once a staple clothing item of the old Stretford End itself. Supporters young and old, FC veterans and virgins alike, stood side by side and savoured the party atmosphere.

It felt like FC United had truly arrived on the football scene and all divisions had been set aside. No longer was it just a few idealistic believers. With 7,000 fans paying through the turnstiles in one week, we may now be taken seriously even by those who will never leave the bright lights of the Premiership behind. And after less than five months in existence - this is just the start.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    2nd Wednesday in a row there's been an article in the guardian...
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    an article in a newspaper eh?

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    2nd Wednesday in a row there's been an article in the guardian...
    It was the Manchester Guardian afterall....

The Guardian has been doing quite alot on the state of football this season. I suppose it stands out because obviously none of the Murdoch rags are going to give the disillusionment much coverage incase it effects sky. Alot of other media outlets seem scared of the developments - talksport refuses to talk about and is cutting people off for the mere mention of the name. Apparently they're the same to AFC Wimbledon too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Thats it macy, build up the "then and us" feeling...

I'd imagine that the Premiership TV/radio contracts have clauses in it about criticism. The us sports definitely do so can't see how it wouldn't be a part of any megaleague tv deal
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    75 Posts

The Guardian has been doing quite alot on the state of football this season.
    Both The Guardian and The Observer seem to be running a mini campaign to try and change football. The Guardian have David Conn writing about the buisness side of football. He wrote The Beautiful Game and The Football Business, two fine books.

Mind you, The Guardian are just playing to the gallery - pinko, leftie season-ticket holders like me.

KOH
    No One Likes Us, We Don't Care

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Thats it macy, build up the "then and us" feeling...
    It is though. And I include the eL in that. The things I loved when I started following the eL is exactly what people are loving about FCUM, AFC Wimbledon etc

I'd imagine that the Premiership TV/radio contracts have clauses in it about criticism. The us sports definitely do so can't see how it wouldn't be a part of any megaleague tv deal
    Sky do, but I doubt Murdoch media outlets would say anything anyway - Sky have too many shares in clubs. The BBC have given the issues time on both radio and TV, and they have the radio and highlights to the premiership.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast