Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who do the Irish Media Think they are?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts

Angry Who do the Irish Media Think they are?

are .The Sun came out with a rare one today about Stan turning his back on the Nation because he wouldnt give the scavengers anymore than 30 seconds and this after the way they have behaved since he was installed as manager. As ive said before since Saipan the Irish media have lowered their standards to an alarming degree and some of the bile spewed as comment these days wouldnt lokk out of place in the sunday sport.

Get a life lads ye are far too full of yere own importance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    How else can the international manager speak to the public except through the media?

Don't disagree about the standard of a lot of them but there's an awful lot of decent lads too who have been reporting honestly - Stan however doesn't seem to agree with any of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Yeah Mackey, Malone and O Donnell seem like decent guys to me and good journalists.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    i agree that our press have morphed into their cousins across the irish sea in recent years but if stan keeps getting the media on his back it will do him no favours.

charlton and to a lesser degree mcCarthy showed a disdain to certain elements of the media from time to time but they had built up an element of goodwill and had results to point to in their defense. stan does not. if he keeps treating the media to 30 second snippets then they will need to fill their pages with their own thoughts, and these will hardly be pro-staunton mutterings.

football like life nowadays is at the beheist of the media, like it or lump it. look at bertie, always willing to give an interview and a soundbite and he gets away with everything. a less media savvy politician would have been crucified for the scandal he went through ealier this year but he survived and even increased his popularity! that was due in no small part to his charisma and friendship with the media.

stan is trying to negotiate a very slippery slope in high heels if he thinks he can stay in the job without even some support from the media. maybe not the way it should be but true all the same.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    He called them out to Malahide for a press conference, and then gave them 30 seconds. Presumably this was him getting his own back in response to the total misquoting and taking out of context of Carsley (the full unedited interview showed us all the difference ).

I always had a degree of sympathy for Staunton on the basis that he was hardly going to turn the job down and that Delaney was responsible for appointing him, but his behaviour this weekend has seen that sympathy dissipate completely. He deserves everything the gutter press give him.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    There was a thread opened about Roy Curtis not long ago where he was slated on this forum. I read his column in the Sunday World yesterday and I have to say it was discraceful journalism.

I understand the sort of paper the World is but it was complete gutter and I can only imagine the type of reader he's pandering too. It was as bad if not worse than anything I've read in an English paper about the English team.

It was sentance after sentance of abuse in the most base of ways.
    It's an indication of where we're at as a nation when rubbish like that can be printed. An excuse for a journalist!
    There'll be snow on that one.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Reddladd View Post
    There was a thread opened about Roy Curtis not long ago where he was slated on this forum. I read his column in the Sunday World yesterday and I have to say it was discraceful journalism.

I understand the sort of paper the World is but it was complete gutter and I can only imagine the type of reader he's pandering too. It was as bad if not worse than anything I've read in an English paper about the English team.

It was sentance after sentance of abuse in the most base of ways.
    It's an indication of where we're at as a nation when rubbish like that can be printed. An excuse for a journalist!
    Yeh but we have a thing called free press and people are entitled to print what they like. The only reason Curtis is in a job is because people buy the paper, so folks don't buy the ****ing rag. There were plenty of other journalists out there that are honest and go about their job in a fair manner and they're our gateway to the team. Stan is setting himself up for a real fall here and his behaviour was well out of order. There's no need for him to tar them all with the same brush, it doesn't help his own cause, at least if he allied himself to some of the decent lads he buy himself some time but he can't grasp this. This business of trying to blame the media is weak, it wasn't the media that lost 5-2 to Cyprus, or scraped past San Marino and Wales.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Just as a matter of Interest how many times have we scraped by wales before.

The hysteria and baying for blood has become a national sport with some of the Papers the Sindo and Sunday World were definitely gutter journalism at its wors on sunday.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    By all account the 32 seconds beat Kerr's former record of 64. At least he's started to win things.
    Last edited by onenilgameover; 27/03/2007 at 10:36 AM.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufct View Post
    Just as a matter of Interest how many times have we scraped by wales before.

The hysteria and baying for blood has become a national sport with some of the Papers the Sindo and Sunday World were definitely gutter journalism at its wors on sunday.
    Where's the hysteria and baying for blood? The only places you'll see that is in the rags and its your own fault if you buy them. The decent papers all had very fair reviews off what happened and what I saw on Saturday was a team with no direction, no clue and no leadership. And Carsleys comments (which were factual) highlighted this. We'll see after tomorrow night but what if we get a tonking off Slovakia? If we win then I'll gladly look at it again and say well maybe he's got something provided the performance is there. But if we get a kicking will you admit that maybe Stan isn't up to it or will you be happy enough to toil the line that oh well thats our rightful place in world football? Which is completely wrong when you look at teams like Croatia, Scotland, Sweden, Turkey and lets not forget our neighbours up to road.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think it's part of a vicious circle in which the players couldn't be ar$ed dealing with the public or the media anymore, the management develop a siege mentality and the press get evermore bloodthirsty.

I found Kerr's comments about having to cancel visits to hospitals because the players complained very revealing. It makes my blood boil to see how these pampered primadonnas kiss their crests and swear undying loyalty to their country but then won't donate a couple of hours to visiting sick children.
    The players seem to be more distant from the public than ever, like they inhabit a different world to the rest of us and whenever they are exposed to fans at close quarters (like getting off the team bus) they are invariably wearing headphones and seem more or less oblivious to the fans (although there are exceptions).

I also think that in many national sides, players are becoming less committed; they know the club pays their wages, and in many cases offers greater opportunities for glory. The national manager's hands are tied in some respects and it must be particularly frustrating when the media are baying for your blood.

I'm not trying to defend Stan, I think he's the wrong man in the wrong place at the wrong time, but he must feel between a rock and a hard place with several players that aren't playing to their full potential and the media seating him firmly on the proverbial bacon-slicer.
    Greece 1 - 0 Germany
    Socrates (89)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    He called them out to Malahide for a press conference, and then gave them 30 seconds.
    If that's the case you can't defend Stan. Gordon Strachan can't stand most of the Scottish press. He ridicules the ones he doesn't like and gives time to the ones he does (usually anyone at the BBC). The media actually suck up to him as it's the only way they'll get a proper answer out of him.

I remember Kerr did something which annoyed the Indo. I think he told them that a press conference was cancelled when it actually wasn't. Ironically the guy that was snubbed, Gerry McDermott, is now working for the FAI.
    Last edited by eirebhoy; 27/03/2007 at 10:58 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Over the post View Post
    I think it's part of a vicious circle in which the players couldn't be ar$ed dealing with the public or the media anymore, the management develop a siege mentality and the press get evermore bloodthirsty.

I found Kerr's comments about having to cancel visits to hospitals because the players complained very revealing. It makes my blood boil to see how these pampered primadonnas kiss their crests and swear undying loyalty to their country but then won't donate a couple of hours to visiting sick children.
    The players seem to be more distant from the public than ever, like they inhabit a different world to the rest of us and whenever they are exposed to fans at close quarters (like getting off the team bus) they are invariably wearing headphones and seem more or less oblivious to the fans (although there are exceptions).

I also think that in many national sides, players are becoming less committed; they know the club pays their wages, and in many cases offers greater opportunities for glory. The national manager's hands are tied in some respects and it must be particularly frustrating when the media are baying for your blood.

I'm not trying to defend Stan, I think he's the wrong man in the wrong place at the wrong time, but he must feel between a rock and a hard place with several players that aren't playing to their full potential and the media seating him firmly on the proverbial bacon-slicer.
    good post.

however stan adopting a similar position regarding the media won't reduce the calls for his blood by the papers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    He called them out to Malahide for a press conference, and then gave them 30 seconds. Presumably this was him getting his own back in response to the total misquoting and taking out of context of Carsley (the full unedited interview showed us all the difference ).

I always had a degree of sympathy for Staunton on the basis that he was hardly going to turn the job down and that Delaney was responsible for appointing him, but his behaviour this weekend has seen that sympathy dissipate completely. He deserves everything the gutter press give him.
    Don' t think he called them out to Malahide. They train there and the press gathered there after training. He then gave them a 32 second interview as he was walking off the pitch. Not very mature but if we win tomorrow night and it takes a siege mentality approach then so be it.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    If that's the case you can't defend Stan. Gordon Strachan can't stand most of the Scottish press. He ridicules the ones he doesn't like and gives time to the ones he does (usually anyone at the BBC). The media actually suck up to him as it's the only way they'll get a proper answer out of him.
    the big difference though is stan just seems to have a general disdain for EVERYONE with a microphone or pencil. all managers like and dislike some elements of the media. that is fine. ferguson never talks to the BBC because of acquisitions they made about his son. that is fine. so he sends out his assistant and no-one complains. but staunton has just decided that he dislikes all of the media. it is totally counter-productive.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    Don' t think he called them out to Malahide. They train there and the press gathered there after training. He then gave them a 32 second interview as he was walking off the pitch. Not very mature but if we win tomorrow night and it takes a siege mentality approach then so be it.
    No, it was arranged. It was an official appointment scheduled by the FAI.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Fair enough, as it looked rather impromtu to me on the Tv.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    it was a brierfing on injuries not a press conference. He gave them the situation about Given and Ireland end of. There is a Press Conference today and no doubt stan will get laced at it again.

Its very hard for a man to deal with people who camped in the back garden of his Parents home in Dundalk trying to peer through the windows and jam their feet in the door after the cyprus game.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufct View Post
    it was a brierfing on injuries not a press conference. He gave them the situation about Given and Ireland end of. There is a Press Conference today and no doubt stan will get laced at it again.

Its very hard for a man to deal with people who camped in the back garden of his Parents home in Dundalk trying to peer through the windows and jam their feet in the door after the cyprus game.
    And it was arranged, it doesn't matter if it was a briefing or a press conference, he still should have shown them some courtesy. Not all of them were camped outside his house, like I said its usually the rags that carry on with that muck, the gutter press. If he'd any sense he'd ally himself to some of the more respected guys and that would help his cause.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    I remember Kerr did something which annoyed the Indo. I think he told them that a press conference was cancelled when it actually wasn't. Ironically the guy that was snubbed, Gerry McDermott, is now working for the FAI.
    Nothing ironic about it at all. McDermott was being fed "info" by the the laney in his quest to out Kerr.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast