Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: The Cult of Managers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

The Cult of Managers

No, that's not a typo.

OK, enough is enough. This idea that after 11 games in charge a manager of a football club can be assigned with the dreaded "under pressure" tag is ridiculous.

I am not close to the runnings of any football club but any organisation with that amount of highly paid talent through it is going to be a very complex organisation to run, with egos, personality clashes, power battles etc every signle day.

The manager, typically, is not responsible for running the club, he is generally responsible for running the team. In theory, a team could be very successful if the club is a shambles but the reality is that that doesn't happen.

The notion that changing a manager is going to make much difference is daft - outside of the obvious cases - clearly if a manager is hopelessly out of his depth then yes - but this merry go around is nothing other than a charade.

Steve Bruce is the wrong fit at Brum - so let's replace him with Paul Jewell. Wow - clearly Champions League beckons for Brum next year.

My other team, West Ham, changed Pardew for Curbs last year, gave Curbs millions to spend and we barely stayed up. Eh, why didn't we just give that cash to Pardew, and support him with management support in the areas he needed it ?

Laughably, the Toon fans want Allardyce out after 12 games - what a joke. yes, they were crap on Saturday but that club have been criminally mismanaged for years with bad signings, vanity players (Owen) and a criminal lack of attention to defence. Under what possible circumstances does a change of manager make sense ?

I have never met Allardyce but he has spoken at length about the root and brach review and reform of Newcastle required - under what possible circumstances can people think he is going to get that done in 2 months ?

Ridiculous - so far this season in the EPL, Jol has been fired (crazy decision based on ego), Bruce has been forced out (bizarre) Davies fired (why ?) and Allardyce "under pressure"..

Now, for the record, I exclude Benitez from this because he behaved like a big child last week. In our jobs we all have to toe the company line sometimes even when we don't like it.

Grow up you big girl's blouse.
    DB Cooper is alive !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    I find Davies sacking to be very strange.

As mentioned on MOTD, he'd only been in charge since June 2006. In his first season he got them promoted and, imo, their current squad is not up to the Premiership. Throwing money at the problem, especially at a club in Derby's situation (recently promoted, struggling at the foot of the table, iirc, still have debts to pay), is daft.

Let the manager get on with the job and if they get relegated, he'll have an idea of what's needed to stay up for the next time.

I know they recently underwent a takeover and the new chairman, ex-Hull man Adam Pearson, wants to be ambitious but sacking a manager at this stage of the season, imo, is wrong.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.