Results 2,221 to 2,240 of 2305

Thread: Next Senior Men's Team Manager - Runners and Riders

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    After putting his Aberdeen nightmare behind him to lead Dundee United to the Scottish Championship title, would Jim Goodwin be worth a look?
    Why not? If a mediocre Championship player can bolster his international future with a few goals against the likes of Livingston, St Johnstone and Ross County why not apply the same leap of fantasy to a manager?
    Anois teacht an Earraigh / Beidh an lá dúl chun shíneadh,
    Is tar eis na féil Bríde / Ardóigh mé mo sheol.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    Why not? If a mediocre Championship player can bolster his international future with a few goals against the likes of Livingston, St Johnstone and Ross County why not apply the same leap of fantasy to a manager?
    To be fair, any amount of bolstering is welcome at this point.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    606 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    Japan and South Korea seem quite happy with their players getting a few goals against the likes of Livingston, St. Johnstone and Ross County

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,350 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    Japan and South Korea seem quite happy with their players getting a few goals against the likes of Livingston, St. Johnstone and Ross County
    Well, it's hardly comparable to UEFA qualifiers, considering the opposition for Japan and South Korea are the likes of Myanmar, Thaliand, Singapore and Syria.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,704 Posts
    On Goodwin, I think he needs a prolonged good spell in the SPL to properly re-establish his reputation.

I saw Ronny Deila in the stands at Celtic on Saturday. I wouldn't be averse to him. Curate's egg of a CV but still young enough and probably within budget. Thoughts?

My instinct is that a previously approached candidate will get the job though, after the Euros.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    585 Posts
    Has a decent win percentage throughout his management career, albeit a bit skewed by his time at Celtic when they were in the middle of that nine in a row and there was no one really capable of challenging them. European club form not especially impressive. He's OK, but doesn't ever seem to have had that really standout tenure where he did something really special, bar what he did with his earliest management roles in Norway, and that was a while ago now.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    With the championship playoffs underway 3 of the 4 managers are likely to get the boot after a somewhat successful season

Carlos Corberán, Daniel Farke, David Wagner and Russell Martin. I don't know much about Martin or Corberán but I'd say Wagner or Farke would be good for for us if they became available.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Corberan would be too, but I doubt we could afford any of them. I'd pass on Martin (not that we could afford him either!). Incidentally Corberan is maybe an exception in that list as he has significantly overachieved to get West Brom into the playoffs and they'd be mad to let him go if they don't go up.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    94 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    With the championship playoffs underway 3 of the 4 managers are likely to get the boot after a somewhat successful season

Carlos Corberán, Daniel Farke, David Wagner and Russell Martin. I don't know much about Martin or Corberán but I'd say Wagner or Farke would be good for for us if they became available.
    I wouldn't touch Martin with a barge pole - for anyone following Southampton and the development of Bazunu this season, it is clear that Martin does not know how to defend. If Southampton win promotion they will be obliterated in the PL because they cannot defend. Martin would be Stephen Kenny on steroids in terms of how he would set up the team.

Corberan is the polar opposite - I think that WBA would put up a decent account of themselves - despite having a much weaker squad than Southampton - because Corberan knows how to organise a defence (i would regard him as a younger version of Chris Hughton).

Both Farke and Wagner fall between both of those - and would be a quality hire.

The problem is that if any of those are sacked - which they shouldn't be if the owners have any sense - I think they will all be in demand.

Canada just appointed Jesse Marsch - which I think is a good appointment for Canada, but in comparison to Corberan, Farke and Wagnar, - Marsch is not in the same league. It is possible that we are in the Marsch territory.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    566 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Red Giant View Post
    I wouldn't touch Martin with a barge pole - for anyone following Southampton and the development of Bazunu this season, it is clear that Martin does not know how to defend. If Southampton win promotion they will be obliterated in the PL because they cannot defend. Martin would be Stephen Kenny on steroids in terms of how he would set up the team.

Corberan is the polar opposite - I think that WBA would put up a decent account of themselves - despite having a much weaker squad than Southampton - because Corberan knows how to organise a defence (i would regard him as a younger version of Chris Hughton).

Both Farke and Wagner fall between both of those - and would be a quality hire.

The problem is that if any of those are sacked - which they shouldn't be if the owners have any sense - I think they will all be in demand.

Canada just appointed Jesse Marsch - which I think is a good appointment for Canada, but in comparison to Corberan, Farke and Wagnar, - Marsch is not in the same league. It is possible that we are in the Marsch territory.
    Sinking (wink) !

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,704 Posts
    Norwich's Wagner has just been sacked.

He could be tempted. I hear he's a bit of a mercenary.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    566 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Norwich's Wagner has just been sacked.

He could be tempted. I hear he's a bit of a mercenary.
    Valkyries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRU1AJsXN1g

15. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,704 Posts
    He could get a tune from some of our players.

17. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    FAI won't be hiring Robbie straight from Israel. They're not gonna bring that attention onto themselves and make what's gonna be a pain in the ass managerial search even worse by having press conferences constantly talking about Israel.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    859 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    FAI won't be hiring Robbie straight from Israel. They're not gonna bring that attention onto themselves and make what's gonna be a pain in the ass managerial search even worse by having press conferences constantly talking about Israel.
    Instead they'd rather hire confirmed racist Sagnol?
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Instead they'd rather hire confirmed racist Sagnol?
    That can be dealt with as required - rightly or wrongly - by Sagnol showing regret and having learnt from mistakes (see Malky Mackay in Scotland after all those text messages, he's been hired by Ross County, the SFA and most recently just this week by Hibs).

Whereas bringing Keane straight in from Israel would be an absolute PR disaster.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,643 Posts
    Claiming Keane taking a job in Israel is a worse transgression than Sagnols comments is bizarre. Both would need to be addressed to some degree but Sagnol has a steeper hill to climb by far. FWIW, I could live with Sagnol as Irish manager if he demonstrated some growth and remorse.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    I don't know that I'm saying one is a worse transgression than the other. To be honest I don't know enough about the Sagnol situation and background to take a view on that.

What I do know is that he's currently manager of another international team, so presumably the PR side of what happened with him is manageable. Whereas, right now, the combination of Keane's employment location and Irish views on the Gaza conflict - particularly those of Irish football supporters - make employing him a virtual impossibility from a PR point of view.

Rightly or wrongly people won't boycott games because of Sagnol's history, provided that he can demonstrate contrition. Whereas I genuinely think a lot of people would boycott Ireland under Keane right now regardless of what he says or what spin the FAI might try to put on it.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    859 Posts
    One man took a job when no one else was offering and another thinks that Africans need Nordics in the team to help them.... these 2 things are not the same
    Its really not that complicated!!!

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    I don't know that I'm saying one is a worse transgression than the other. To be honest I don't know enough about the Sagnol situation and background to take a view on that.

What I do know is that he's currently manager of another international team, so presumably the PR side of what happened with him is manageable. Whereas, right now, the combination of Keane's employment location and Irish views on the Gaza conflict - particularly those of Irish football supporters - make employing him a virtual impossibility from a PR point of view.

Rightly or wrongly people won't boycott games because of Sagnol's history, provided that he can demonstrate contrition. Whereas I genuinely think a lot of people would boycott Ireland under Keane right now regardless of what he says or what spin the FAI might try to put on it.
    But you are offering a view. An ill informed one by your own admission, but that hasn't stopped you.

Sagnol had a big employment gap & washed up in Georgia, a place with a long hard road ahead of it in race relations terms.

He has never shown genuine contrition. Never owned it.

Fans won't boycott you reckon, and even if you're right, what about the lads with African heritage, proudly representing Ireland today ? They're supposed to just shut up & pretend everything is OK yeah ? Shouldn't that impact be a consideration around a candidate with his past ?
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

25. Thanks From: