Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 102 of 116 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112 ... LastLast
Results 2,021 to 2,040 of 2313

Thread: Next Senior Men's Team Manager - Runners and Riders

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,643 Posts
    haha just seen that... would be an interesting one but his record is spotty at best. Decent in Norway, disappointing everywhere else (UK). Out of work for 3 years...

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Seems to have shot to the top of the betting lists for no obvious reason. Much as they're an unreliable guide, his emergence from nowhere suggests that someone has got wind of something and has gone running to the bookies on the back of it.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,249 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    haha just seen that... would be an interesting one but his record is spotty at best. Decent in Norway, disappointing everywhere else (UK). Out of work for 3 years...
    Wasn't the real problem at United that they went above him to sign Ronaldo, who just didn't fit into their system? He did ok, but at the cost of unbalancing everything else. Third and second in his two full seasons was more than decent, even if the points total was quite modest.

Bit surprising he's not going a job since then. Maybe he's happy having a break from the club stuff

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Honestly, relative to most of the other names being bandied about at this point, it would be a decent result. Would mean they completely bull****ted Lennon, as Solsjkaer doesn't have international experience, and they also completely bull****ted the public as he doesn't have contractual obligations either. But he's still far from the worst name I've heard.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,643 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Wasn't the real problem at United that they went above him to sign Ronaldo, who just didn't fit into their system? He did ok, but at the cost of unbalancing everything else. Third and second in his two full seasons was more than decent, even if the points total was quite modest.

Bit surprising he's not going a job since then. Maybe he's happy having a break from the club stuff
    Yeah, i dont really follow United closely and the league placements speak for themselves as you rightly point out... i just remember a constant sentiment of disillusionment around OGS from some of my United mates at the time. Liverpool fans will not like this one - knives will be out, im sure, as they are for Baz from many in those quarters... don't get me wrong, i wouldnt hate this appointment at all, I just am not sure how good he is. Molde (is norwegian league a good level?), Cardiff (flop) and United (hard in some ways not to do well at United). If we were going for a Scandinavian, I think i'd prefer Janne Andersson.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,099 Posts
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soc...ger-next-week/

Assuming this is true, Canham and Hill should announce their resignations immediately after O'Shea's appointment.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Yeah, i dont really follow United closely and the league placements speak for themselves as you rightly point out... i just remember a constant sentiment of disillusionment around OGS from some of my United mates at the time. Liverpool fans will not like this one - knives will be out, im sure, as they are for Baz from many in those quarters... don't get me wrong, i wouldnt hate this appointment at all, I just am not sure how good he is. Molde (is norwegian league a good level?), Cardiff (flop) and United (hard in some ways not to do well at United). If we were going for a Scandinavian, I think i'd prefer Janne Andersson.
    Same, and Steve Bruce's odds have dropped to 7/2 so either the bookies are just trying to get some betting going again or someone said it's gonna be an ex United player so someone hedged their bets and put a tenner on each of Ole or Bruce.

Cumminsky tweeting that it's looking likely that JOS will be named manager with the FAI to make an appointment this Wednesday or Thursday. Though he also said the FAI were gonna replace Kenny after the September windows. His buddy Fallon said April 3rd was the date so they'll get it right eventually with all these guesses.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Honestly, relative to most of the other names being bandied about at this point, it would be a decent result. Would mean they completely bull****ted Lennon, as Solsjkaer doesn't have international experience, and they also completely bull****ted the public as he doesn't have contractual obligations either. But he's still far from the worst name I've heard.
    For all we know they told him he wouldn't be getting the job and he made up the part about wanting a manager with international experience to try save face.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts
    Do you really think Liverpool fans would be against it? Speaking as one, I'd have nothing against him per se. Seems like a very good guy. Obviously did well in Norway, to what value we can place on that. Cardiff didn't work out but it wasn't an easy job with a poor squad and dodgy owners. He was very briefly exactly what United needed, but in the long run he was found wanting. In fairness, no one has succeeded at United since Ferguson, Mourinho probably came closest. Still, I think the international game is different and it could work well. He has operated at an elite level and there have been plenty of worse names in the mix...

I'd still suspect it's not one they've even had a conversation with. Probably someone saw Ole have lunch with John O'Shea or Ole and his family are on holiday in Ireland or something. And someone has put €500 on it. It happened with Johnny Giles. Giles met with John Delaney for a cup of coffee in Terenure to discuss Paul Jewell's managerial attributes, on the back of that good Wigan team he put together. Someone saw Giles and Delaney talking together, with Stan having just been sacked and put a tonne on Gilesy. My guess is it's something similar...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soc...ger-next-week/

Assuming this is true, Canham and Hill should announce their resignations immediately after O'Shea's appointment.
    the same writer (and that's being kind) was sure enough to write this back in january.....
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soc...eland-manager/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,249 Posts
    Yeah, Cardiff seemed a disaster alright. I think there was an issue that in each of his four seasons at United (including the two half-seasons) he started really slowly, but then stormed through the second half of his full seasons. Would that have explained how he was viewed?

Norwegian league isn't a great level but his achievements at Molde were great. They'd never won the league before he arrived - then won three times in his first four-season spell, and won two Cups, and reached the group stages of Europe. It's not a fashionable club either (though they do have a couple of very rich local fans, which can't hurt)

That said, the Irish Times now reckons John O'Shea will be appointed next week. You'd hope that means everyone else fell through - maybe because Georgia got to the Euros? - but is there nobody better around? And I don't want to be too harsh on O'Shea by writing him off before he's started, but...

13. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    The craziest thing about JOS actually getting the job is the fact you know the FAI are gonna pay him the same salary that they were offering Carsley and Sagnol. Even €560k was too much when it was offered to Kenny.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post

That said, the Irish Times now reckons John O'Shea will be appointed next week. You'd hope that means everyone else fell through - maybe because Georgia got to the Euros? - but is there nobody better around? And I don't want to be too harsh on O'Shea by writing him off before he's started, but...
    That link to the John O'Shea article now brings you to an article saying things have taken another twist with OGS now in the frame to be the next manager ?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Rewritten by Cummiskey almost as soon as it was published. Says it all really, none of them have a clue.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,643 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    Do you really think Liverpool fans would be against it? Speaking as one, I'd have nothing against him per se. Seems like a very good guy. Obviously did well in Norway, to what value we can place on that. Cardiff didn't work out but it wasn't an easy job with a poor squad and dodgy owners. He was very briefly exactly what United needed, but in the long run he was found wanting. In fairness, no one has succeeded at United since Ferguson, Mourinho probably came closest. Still, I think the international game is different and it could work well. He has operated at an elite level and there have been plenty of worse names in the mix...

I'd still suspect it's not one they've even had a conversation with. Probably someone saw Ole have lunch with John O'Shea or Ole and his family are on holiday in Ireland or something. And someone has put €500 on it. It happened with Johnny Giles. Giles met with John Delaney for a cup of coffee in Terenure to discuss Paul Jewell's managerial attributes, on the back of that good Wigan team he put together. Someone saw Giles and Delaney talking together, with Stan having just been sacked and put a tonne on Gilesy. My guess is it's something similar...
    I was just being a bit cheeky and seeing who might pick up on it. I know most Irish fans put country over club with this stuff - - but all that said, based on who i think are Liverpool fans on here, I do think they put to some degree their club allegiance to Liverpool/Kelleher ahead of some logic related to Baz v Kelleher where my opinion is that Baz was the best overall candidate up until quite recently.

I dont think it will be OGS though either...seems a bit fabricated. If it is JOS, the committee should be given their marching orders. Their position would be borderline untenable...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,249 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    That link to the John O'Shea article now brings you to an article saying things have taken another twist with OGS now in the frame to be the next manager ?
    That's mad - the url is clearly JOS but yeah, the actual article has changed! It seems the only source is the betting odds?

Sums it all up nicely, as Eirambler says.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,099 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Rewritten by Cummiskey almost as soon as it was published. Says it all really, none of them have a clue.
    Can we hope against hope that the clowns in all this are the journos?

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    860 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Can we hope against hope that the clowns in all this are the journos?
    We know enough at this stage to ignore the bookies and most journalists. We are 6 months in and have enough evidence to show that none of them have an inside track.

I think it's noteworthy that most reported within an hour of each other this week that an appointment will be made next week. Maybe I'm naive, but to me that sounds like it's was intentionally released by FAI. If it's true then we aren't far off the early April date announcement that Canham says.

Only when we see the result of the process and who the new man in charge is can we say who the fools are.
    Its really not that complicated!!!

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    860 Posts

Not OGS
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 12/04/2024 at 5:08 PM. Reason: Embedded tweet
    Its really not that complicated!!!

23. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts
    I for one, would accept the Pep Linders revolution...