Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 13 of 116 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Next Senior Men's Team Manager - Runners and Riders

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,250 Posts
    Yeah, fair. The Championship is a decent league but there's a big gap to the Premier (as Burnley are showing) and there's a big gap from the bottom half to the Champions League. And a lot of average countries have a core of even 2/3 players at that level which is a big advantage over us.

I was looking at that Albania squad recently and was amazed how strong it was. Tis a good example. I think we're a long way off that level. Which is quite a depressing thing to have to acknowledge!
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 17/11/2023 at 7:30 AM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    94 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Supreme feet View Post
    I probably should have bolded the 'if' in my post!

If we want to get back to being competitive in qualification groups, we do need a core of 7-8 players operating at Nathan Collins's level, or higher.

Albania are on the verge of qualifying, which seems like a huge shock, but they have players at Chelsea, Inter, Roma, Lazio, Atalanta, Eintracht Frankfurt and Benfica, which is a level above the vast majority of our squad. It's not that long ago (v Uruguay in 2017) that we could put out a starting XI of Premier League regulars.
    I think you are over-egging the standard of that team in 2017

Randolph wasn't a regular at West Ham
    Christie was in the Championship
    Duffy was just after getting promoted with Brighton a couple of weeks earlier
    Long played 3 games in the PL the previous season
    Ward was a regular at Burnley
    Whelan had just left Burnley to join Villa in the Championship
    Arter was a regular at Bournemouth
    Brady had just left Norwich in the Championship for Burnley
    Hendrick was a regular for Burnley
    Hayes was with Aberdeen
    Walters with a sub at Stoke and on his way to Burnley where he didn't play

Of the subs
    John O'Shea had just been relegated with Sunderland
    McClean was a regular with WBA
    And the rest were playing Championship or below.

Hardly inspiring -

Now - on top of that - since mid 2017 a stack of PL clubs have been taken over by vulture funds - Villa, Bournemouth, Burnley, Eveton, Newcastle, Wolves - to add to the others already owned by billionaire funds - and they are looking more at their balance sheet than anything else. Irish players do not traditionally generate high transfer fees, especially in comparison to English players (and our traditional involvement in English football and prejudice against the Irish leads Irish players being regarded as second class English players). If Rice had remained with Ireland, West Ham would have got £50m or less for him - same with Grealish. Interesting side fact - the five most expensive English footballers of all time all hold Irish passports.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    94 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Yeah, fair. The Championship is a decent league but there's a big gap to the Premier (as Burnley are showing) and there's a big gap from the bottom half to the Champions League. And a lot of average countries have a core of even 2/3 players at that level which is a big advantage over us.
    That is our problem - We don't have people playing at CL level which does have an impact. You have to go back to 2011 or 2012 when the likes of O'Shea, Robbie Keane, McGeady and Darren Gibson were playing. And the only real prospect we have at the moment is Ferguson (Kelleher has played a few - but that doesn't really count).

Now - that doesn't mean that we cannot have a good international team - it means that the coaching staff know how to maximise what we have available, make us difficult to beat, and can score a few goals that can win us enough games to qualify (and Ferguson comes into play there again).

We can play all the pretty passing football we want when the ball is in our own half - but that doesn't cut it when teams can cut through your defence like a knife through butter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Red Giant View Post
    I think you are over-egging the standard of that team in 2017

Randolph wasn't a regular at West Ham
    Christie was in the Championship
    Duffy was just after getting promoted with Brighton a couple of weeks earlier
    Long played 3 games in the PL the previous season
    Ward was a regular at Burnley
    Whelan had just left Burnley to join Villa in the Championship
    Arter was a regular at Bournemouth
    Brady had just left Norwich in the Championship for Burnley
    Hendrick was a regular for Burnley
    Hayes was with Aberdeen
    Walters with a sub at Stoke and on his way to Burnley where he didn't play
    Okay, fair enough, The stat came from something I read on The42 a while back, which was obviously BS, and I didn't check it.

Still, between 2014 and 2017, our first-choice team was generally Randolph; Coleman, Brady/Ward, Duffy/O'Shea, Clark/Keogh; McCarthy, Whelan/Meyler, Hoolahan/Hendrick, McClean, Walters, Long/Murphy.

We consistently had a core of well-established EPL players, or players with significant EPL experience, starting for us. The others were at the top end of the Championship (Murphy was the top scorer in the Championship, with 27 goals, in 2015/6). It was a far, far better squad than we have now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,326 Posts
    FWIW the last time we had a starting XI of entirely Premier League players was V Germany in 2006, Staunton's first competitive game.
    Shay Given(Newcastle Utd)
    John O'Shea(Manchester United)
    Andy O'Brien(Portsmouth)
    Richard Dunne(Manchester City)
    Stephen Carr(Newcastle Utd)
    Damien Duff(Newcastle Utd)
    Steven Reid(Blackburn)
    Kevin Kilbane(Wigan)
    Steve Finnan(Liverpool)
    Kevin Doyle(Reading)
    Robbie Keane(Tottenham)

That sounds bad, and it is, but you have to remember that Robbie moved to MLS soon after, and he started every game he was available for, so any game he did start had at least one player who wasn't in the Premier League
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

6. Thanks From:

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    425 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    FWIW the last time we had a starting XI of entirely Premier League players was V Germany in 2006, Staunton's first competitive game.
    Shay Given(Newcastle Utd)
    John O'Shea(Manchester United)
    Andy O'Brien(Portsmouth)
    Richard Dunne(Manchester City)
    Stephen Carr(Newcastle Utd)
    Damien Duff(Newcastle Utd)
    Steven Reid(Blackburn)
    Kevin Kilbane(Wigan)
    Steve Finnan(Liverpool)
    Kevin Doyle(Reading)
    Robbie Keane(Tottenham)

That sounds bad, and it is, but you have to remember that Robbie moved to MLS soon after, and he started every game he was available for, so any game he did start had at least one player who wasn't in the Premier League
    I suppose it might be interesting to count down from last time we had 10, 9, 8, etc. The least premier league players in a starting line-up for a competitive fixture?

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Ghana being held at home by Madagascar. 0-0 at the moment with about 20 mins to go. Hughton could be available fairly soon...

edit: ghana score in the 96th minute with basically the last play of the game.
    Last edited by zero; 17/11/2023 at 4:56 PM.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    861 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    Ghana being held at home by Madagascar. 0-0 at the moment with about 20 mins to go. Hughton could be available fairly soon...

edit: ghana score in the 96th minute with basically the last play of the game.
    This is why we shouldnt want him
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,644 Posts
    Did Hughton pee in your cornflakes Razor? I know JRG is at one end of the spectrum but you seem to be firmly entrenched at the other end and I'm not sure its as black and white as either of you making out. Given the constraints we are working within, he has a case to be considered. Decent, if imperfect, track record as a manager, Irish, respected coach. He'd also be our first black manager which would be pretty cool (but shouldnt influence the choice if there are better candidates).

11. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,250 Posts
    They won 1-0 in the end; 96th minute winner. He may be a lucky general too

Rajo Razafindraibeharimihanta got booked for Madagascar. Madagascan names are great!

13. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    441 Posts

Rajo Razafindraibeharimihanta got booked for Madagascar. Madagascan names are great!
    His full name is Soloniaina Rajo Nirina Razafindraibeharimihanta

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    567 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    His full name is Soloniaina Rajo Nirina Razafindraibeharimihanta
    I assume the Ref just wrote his number down !

16. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Supreme feet View Post
    Okay, fair enough, The stat came from something I read on The42 a while back, which was obviously BS, and I didn't check it.

Still, between 2014 and 2017, our first-choice team was generally Randolph; Coleman, Brady/Ward, Duffy/O'Shea, Clark/Keogh; McCarthy, Whelan/Meyler, Hoolahan/Hendrick, McClean, Walters, Long/Murphy.

We consistently had a core of well-established EPL players, or players with significant EPL experience, starting for us. The others were at the top end of the Championship (Murphy was the top scorer in the Championship, with 27 goals, in 2015/6). It was a far, far better squad than we have now.
    As good an example of grass is greener syndrome if ever I’ve seen it!

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    861 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Did Hughton pee in your cornflakes Razor? I know JRG is at one end of the spectrum but you seem to be firmly entrenched at the other end and I'm not sure its as black and white as either of you making out. Given the constraints we are working within, he has a case to be considered. Decent, if imperfect, track record as a manager, Irish, respected coach. He'd also be our first black manager which would be pretty cool (but shouldnt influence the choice if there are better candidates).
    Ah my comment today was a little tongue in cheek, but no I dont rate him. Ive heard a few people say that we should go for a manager with international experience. I think Hughtons International managerial experience has been awful.
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    94 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    This is why we shouldnt want him

This thread shouldn't be solely about the merits or not of Chris Hughton - he is one potential candidate - not the only one - but one with better track record than most of the names mentioned.

Yes Ghana won today 1-0 scoring late on - and to a team ranked well below them. They peppered the Madagascar goal in the second half and should have scored 4 or 5 - but they had to wait until the 96th minute to win the game. Hughton himself said that they were very nervous in the first half (that they were feeling the pressure after all the controversy over the past couple of weeks) and they didn't play well. He got them settled at half time and they were very good in the second half, moving the ball quickly, getting the ball in the box, forcing the goalkeeper to make several good saves, had a goal ruled out for a dubious offside - and eventually scored. Football can be like that sometimes.

Now - here is the important thing - Hughton's record with Ghana in competitive internationals - P5 - W3 - D2 - L0 - GF5 - GA1
    Last edited by Jolly Red Giant; 17/11/2023 at 11:48 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    94 Posts
    I know JRG is at one end of the spectrum
    I would actually dispute this - my argument has consistently been that of all the names mentioned who are realistic prospects Hughton has a much better track record than all of them. This shouldn't mean that is automatically made the manager - but that he should be given serious consideration if he wanted the job.

Decent, if imperfect, track record as a manager, Irish, respected coach.
    There are few managers with a perfect track record - although I would argue that Hughton is actually a better coach than his record suggests. But I still would rank him below Liam Touhy and Johnny Giles as Irish managers and you have to give Jack Charlton major credit for what he achieved (even if very lucky with the players he had available) - but that couldn't really be judged until he got the job and proved that he could do it better than other potential candidates.

Now - there are certain guys that I would be absolutely hopping if they got the job because I think they would be a disaster - Neil Lennon, Roy Keane, Robbie Keane, Steve Bruce, Keith Andrews, Mark Kennedy, Damien Duff (or any other LOI manager).

I don't think Anthony Barry or John Eustace are realistic options but would be okay with either. I would also be okay with Lee Carsley or Brian Barry Murphy (who I think could be good - but its only a hunch). John O'Shea I am meh about. Poyet I could get on board and I think Jim Goodwin warrants a look. Someone mentioned Vladimir Petkovic and he is an interesting option - and I do think that Stephen Reid should be considered if he put his name forward.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,644 Posts
    Wasn’t meant as a dig at all! To either of you… just two very different takes! (great respect for both of you)

FWIW, he’s in my top 3 realistic candidates (Carsley and Poyet the others). None of them are actually available though and all of them are something of a risk - in different ways. No perfect candidate indeed. Will be interesting to see it play out. There’s a good chance we go from the frying pan to the fire.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Thomas Christiansen currently managing Panama (had a brief spell at Leeds back when they were a basket case).

Got Panama to the Gold Cup final and has probably turned them into one of the best sides outside of the big 3/4 in North America.

It's likely they'll qualify for WC26 and already have one foot in the CopaAmerica24 after beating Costa Rica 3-0 away from home a few days ago.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    441 Posts
    Whoever the next manager is will hopefully be someone that can react to in game situations and make the changes when needed. The two games against the Dutch in particular showed Kenny's lack of tactical nous.

In the first game we put it up to them for the first 45mins but at the start of the second half they went 3-4-3 which freed up the FB/WBs to now get high and cause us issues.

Last night they lined up 3-4-3 on paper but in game at times their front three you could say were Weghorst and the WBs they were often so high up the pitch. Gakpo and Simons were often dropping between the defence and midfield so their midfield four were now outnumbering us centrally which is why maybe Scales found himself so high up the pitch for the first goal.

The half time change of Idah for Robinson showed either he and the staff were oblivious to what the Dutch were doing or he didn't feel the need to adapt to how they were playing.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Ah they haven't a notion, SK / Andrews both. Decent guys and they are passionate but it's been clear from early on they're miles out of their depth
    If we do hire a proper manager and results improve there'll be rampant revisionism and kenny lauded for bringing players through.

He shouldn't be. His tenure has been pretty much a disaster.

25. Thanks From: