Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 45 of 116 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595 ... LastLast

Thread: Next Senior Men's Team Manager - Runners and Riders

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    Man turns down job = he's a turncoat. Cop on will ya.
    Job? Managing and representing your country- That's an honour. You don't get asked again.
    As Irishmen we dilute our sense of nation by depending on the English to bring us our balls

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,643 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lofty9 View Post
    Job? Managing and representing your country- That's an honour. You don't get asked again.
    Yep. Dead to me, if the news and reasoning is true.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Very disappointing if the Carsley story is true.

Keane and Lennon are out of the question as far as I'm concerned. It would be a deliberate act of self- harm and a bomb waiting to go off to appoint either.

Hughton is past his shelf-life I'm afraid, though he would be preferable to the above. Low, low bar though that is.

Nobody else stands out among the names commonly mentioned.

I expect criticism for saying so, but I would suggest we reappoint Mick on a twelve-month contract as a glorified caretaker manager while taking our time in finding a suitable longer term successor to Kenny.

Better that than rashly giving a lengthy contract to one of the lesser and deeply uninspiring candidates whose names have been floated in the media.
    Last edited by Trequartista20; 26/01/2024 at 6:27 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    484 Posts
    This is the only good news today
    I hope he gets 6 years in jail when the dust settles

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/...910658441.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,325 Posts
    According to the Irish Times, no offer has been made
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soc...o-offers-made/
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,249 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lofty9 View Post
    He is managing his country though. Not quite so easy a call in that case

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    According to the Irish Times, no offer has been made
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soc...o-offers-made/
    And almost certainly no offer has been made in terms of going through the formal channels (asking permission through the FA etc). So technically that's correct. But it does seem likely at this point that the offer has been made through the back channels to Carsley and/or his agent, and he has said no.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

9. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    567 Posts
    Perhaps the FAI were unwilling / unable to pay for the kind of back-up team that Carsley would be expecting !

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    860 Posts
    No one has officially said anything. I still think negotiations are on going. Would be very easy for the English FA to make statement that their employee is going nowhere. All we have is the story from a Daily Mail journo. I think there's legs in this yet
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    567 Posts
    Some of the candidates are bordering on sad.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    https://extra.ie/2024/01/27/sport/so...rsley-own-goal

An interesting article and credit to Quinn, unlike a lot of the Irish press pack, he isn't pretending that he knows more than he does here. As I thought and suggested above, the "no offer has been made" thing only relates to a formal offer, which wouldn't be made anyway unless it was effectively a done deal.

Clearly something has gone wrong somewhere this week, if I was to guess I would say it's maybe the size of the budget being offered in terms of backroom staff not being to Carsley's liking - so far at least, but that's just a guess.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

14. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    94 Posts
    Did we really expect anything other than a shambles from the FAI - even their most successful appointment, Charlton, came about through a chaotic process where Charlton was far from the front-runner for the job.

Canham and Hill need to take a step back now - acknowledge that there isn't going to be an appointment before the NL draw - regroup - see if there are bridges that can be rebuilt with Carsley (if they did ****-up the discussions) - and if not then start the process again.

The worst thing they could do is panic and appoint Lennon because they don't have anyone else on their list - hell - I'd even put up with Robbie Keane, who I consider an utterly useless waste of space who is concerned with nothing else than self-interest and self-advancement (he chases the money), before I would stand for Lennon getting the job.

If the FAI can get Barry or Eustace or mend fences with Carsley then fair enough. But Chris Hughton is still the candidate with the best record as a manager - yes Ghana were eliminated from AFCON and they played poorly, but Ghana are not a good team and Hughton managed to stabilise them and get them to AFCON. They only went out of the tournament because the players on the pitch against Mozambique panicked and let in two goals in injury time. The whistle goes two minutes earlier and Egypt are going home instead. Hughton would be a safe pair of hands, a stabilising force and would improve performances. Maybe that is exactly what the Irish team need right now.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    567 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post

An interesting article and credit to Quinn, unlike a lot of the Irish press pack, he isn't pretending that he knows more than he does here. As I thought and suggested above, the "no offer has been made" thing only relates to a formal offer, which wouldn't be made anyway unless it was effectively a done deal.

Clearly something has gone wrong somewhere this week, if I was to guess I would say it's maybe the size of the budget being offered in terms of backroom staff not being to Carsley's liking - so far at least, but that's just a guess.
    Yeah ~ ~ You could see a fella that is used to working for the English FA, with all of their wealth, suddenly getting a big awakener when the money available from the FAI was discussed re; Carsley's back-up team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post

The name in that article that would represent the biggest fiasco the FAI could possibly engineer for themselves is Robbie Keane. So that's almost certainly what will end up happening.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    567 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    The name in that article that would represent the biggest fiasco the FAI could possibly engineer for themselves is Robbie Keane. So that's almost certainly what will end up happening.
    T'would help Robbie Keane " escape " from Israel !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Red Giant View Post

If the FAI can get Barry or Eustace or mend fences with Carsley then fair enough. But Chris Hughton is still the candidate with the best record as a manager - yes Ghana were eliminated from AFCON and they played poorly, but Ghana are not a good team and Hughton managed to stabilise them and get them to AFCON. They only went out of the tournament because the players on the pitch against Mozambique panicked and let in two goals in injury time. The whistle goes two minutes earlier and Egypt are going home instead. Hughton would be a safe pair of hands, a stabilising force and would improve performances. Maybe that is exactly what the Irish team need right now.
    Agree!
    He’s also a good media performer. Will bring a calmness and professionalism that’s been lacking for a few years.
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    142 Posts
    "ghana are not a good team" neither are Ireland! Hughton would be a disaster. The less said about Lennon the better

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Hoddle was a reasonably successful England manager until he came up with some mad stuff about disabled people ~ ~ Goes to show, you can be a good football manager and still have some crazy stuff going on in your head.
    Not just "mad", but offensively so. That said, as someone pointed out at the time, what he said was not essentially different from what 1 billion Hindus believe. And in any case, he might even have survived the scandal, until Tony Blair decided that football was also in his governing remit and called for him to be sacked the next day on Breakfast TV.

Anyhow to get back on point, Hoddle was in many respects a good manager (tactics, formations, game management etc), but ultimately not quite a great one, due to his inability to motivate entire squads. For example, showing up Beckham by demonstrating in front of the whole squad that he could still hit a better free kick than him didn't help, hence the nickname "Chocolate", i.e. loved himself so much he'd eat himself if he could!

Truly magnificent player, mind.

22. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    94 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    "ghana are not a good team" neither are Ireland! Hughton would be a disaster.
    Despite that Hughton got them to AFCON and they were 2-0 in injury time to get to the knockout stages before they blew it.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Eustace would be the obvious choice now.

Page 45 of 116 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595 ... LastLast