Page 46 of 116 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696 ... LastLast

Thread: Next Senior Men's Team Manager - Runners and Riders

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    862 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Red Giant View Post
    Despite that Hughton got them to AFCON and they were 2-0 in injury time to get to the knockout stages before they blew it.
    His results in the built up to AFCON were awful too. Ghana couldn't get rid of him quickly enough, much like Forest.
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    458 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    Eustace would be the obvious choice now.
    Is the reality simply that a Championship job will get a manager like euctace 2 or 3 times more money and much more freedom.and available finance to bring in his own coaching and backroom staff? In fairness to the FAI they simply can't spend that level of money that seems to be common in Championship football

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    567 Posts
    Maybe Gus Poyet's time has come ? !

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    442 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Maybe Gus Poyet's time has come ? !
    Fact he's fallen out with his last three employers is probably a turn off for the FAI. Being so public about the Irish job while employed by Greece probably doesn't help either because he'll likely do it again and the FAI are poorly run so chances are he'll find issues to moan about publicly regarding them.

Probably similar reasons why Keane won't get it. His spat with Walters and Arter during Ireland camp probably have him at the bottom of any FAI list.

5. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    94 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    His results in the built up to AFCON were awful too. Ghana couldn't get rid of him quickly enough, much like Forest.
    Ghana had five managers in the previous five years - Ghana were in free fall for all of that time.

In Hughton's first two games they beat Angola and then drew away with them (Angola have just topped their group at AFCON).

His competitive record with Ghana is

P9 W3 D4 L2 - significantly better than Kenny's record with Ireland and it includes games at a major international tournament.

Furthermore they lost the game against Cape Verde by conceding in injury time - and blew a 2-0 lead in injury time against Mozambique. A bounce of the ball would have seen them out of the group and Egypt going home. Despite that Hughton held his hand up, accepted responsibility for the failure and said it wasn't good enough - something Kenny never did in 3 1/2 years. And before you try it - yes they lost 2 friendlies - to the USA (ranked 48 places above them) and Mexico (45 places above them).

The Ghanaian FA is riddled with corruption and Hughton was brought in by the Ghanaian government to try and steady the ship - there were significant sections of the Ghanaian FA trying to shaft him from the moment he got the job. He was actually threatened with the sack because of the squad of players he picked for the WC qualifier against Madagascar in November.

Now - I can appreciate that many fans would not want Hughton - he is 65 and despite his very good record as a manager, some consider him a dinosaur. I don't have a problem with the FA hiring the likes of Carsley, Barry or Eustace if there is a possibility - all of them would be a punt that could work out or could blow up in our faces - but that is the chance you take. But when the likes of Lennon are being touted as the bookies favourite - that gets me mad. Hughton is still the only guy listed with a significant record of achievement as a manager (and before anyone starts - Lennon does not).

7. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    484 Posts
    Would anyone object to Scott Parker?
    He's available

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,001 Posts
    If Carsley lied to or lead the FAI on in some way, that's one thing, but if all he did was turn down a job offer, then I don't see where the hate towards him is coming from.

The idea that any manager should be a patriot and instantly jump at the chance to manage their country is fairly silly.
    Last edited by osarusan; 28/01/2024 at 8:55 PM.

10. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    567 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    If Carsley lied to or lead the FAI on in some way, that's one thing, but if all he did was turn down a job offer, then I don't see where the hate towards him is coming from.

The idea that any manager shouldbe a patriot and instantly jump at the chance to manage their country is fairly silly.
    Especially if you are dealing with the FAI.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts

The idea that any manager shouldbe a patriot and instantly jump at the chance to manage their country is fairly silly.
    Indeed.

In fact it might be argued that he is managing "his country", albeit at U-21 level, though with a shout at the top job in future.

Which is not to discount his previous commitment to ROI (eg 40-odd caps etc), but we should not imagine that everyone is eg a Kevin Kilbane, for many people such matters of identity are not binary.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    Indeed.

In fact it might be argued that he is managing "his country", albeit at U-21 level, though with a shout at the top job in future.

Which is not to discount his previous commitment to ROI (eg 40-odd caps etc), but we should not imagine that everyone is eg a Kevin Kilbane, for many people such matters of identity are not binary.
    We can assume by Carsley's previous words that Ireland is very much his country
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,645 Posts

My hate is reserved until a) it is official and b) there’s a sense as to why. If his motivation is to hang in for a shot at the England senior job or because thinks he will make more money staying in the Three Lions set up then it says a lot. Obviously the deal has to be generous/fair and worth it but I believe that managing your country - the country you pledged your international playing career to - is an honour and we need to keep thinking of it as such. I don’t think we should be so quick to dismiss patriotism as silly!

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Exclusively so, forsaking all others as with eg Kevin Kilbane?

Or 50:50(?), as in Declan Rice. Or 25:75(?), as per Jolly Jack Greaish?

Carsley is the man who took a break from international duty for a year when he wasn't getting regular starts, and the travelling etc was taking him away from his family. (Which is not to criticise him in any way, his priorities are imo admirable.)

Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    My hate is reserved until a) it is official and b) there’s a sense as to why. If his motivation is to hang in for a shot at the England senior job or because thinks he will make more money staying in the Three Lions set up then it says a lot.
    "Hate"? Dear oh dear. (And btw you mean "hatred")

Obviously the deal has to be generous/fair and worth it
    Hang on, if managing your country is such an honour and privilege etc, then surely any half-decent package should be acceptable? You know, £300k pa versus £600k pa for a bog-standard Championship job, for instance.

... but I believe that managing your country - the country you pledged your international playing career to - is an honour and we need to keep thinking of it as such.
    "The country he pledged his international playing career to" is it? Like he turned down England caps to play for ROI

Remember, too, that he qualifed for ROI via a Co.Cork grandmother i.e. genetically, at least, he is 3/4 English.

I don’t think we should be so quick to dismiss patriotism as silly!
    I'll see your "Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori" and raise you my "My Country Right or Wrong".

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    94 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    He's available
    Interesting suggestion and I wouldn't necessarily object - did a decent enough job at Fulham (promotion then relegation) and Bournemouth (got them promoted - Gary O'Neill did a better job than him after Parker was sacked) - not so good at Brugge - but worth a deeper dive.

As an aside - Chrish Hughton got Newcastle promoted, almost got Birmingham promoted and got Brighton promoted and kept them in the PL for two seasons on a shoestring (and was never relegated with any of his clubs)..

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    94 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Look at it from a personal perspective - managing an U21 side that just won a major tournament - and the prospect of taking over a side that could be expected to go deep into the knockout stages of major tournaments - OR - a rebuild task, correcting 3 1/2 years of directionless leadership and then have to fight for every point.

I am sure that Carsley does have ambition to manage Ireland (I am sure that Chris Hughton, Roy Keane, Robbie Keane, Damien Duff etc also have that ambition) - but when you have the possible opportunity to manage a team challenging for the Euro Championship or the World Cup - you really do have to try and maximise what you can achieve as a manager - and I wouldn't fault him for that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,645 Posts
    "Hate"? Dear oh dear. (And btw you mean "hatred")
    Hate or hatred, in a very foot.ie sense of the word. Whatever Osa saw on previous messages that caused him to use the word.

Disappointed that needs explaining.

Hang on, if managing your country is such an honour and privilege etc, then surely any half-decent package should be acceptable? You know, £300k pa versus £600k pa for a bog-standard Championship job, for instance.
    It is an honour. Absolutely it is. But not at any cost. The deal that’s allegedly on the table sounds generous and I’m assuming constitutes a pay raise.

"The country he pledged his international playing career to" is it? Like he turned down England caps to play for ROI
    What’s that got to do with anything?

Remember, too, that he qualifed for ROI via a Co.Cork grandmother i.e. genetically, at least, he is 3/4 English.

I'll see your "Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori" and raise you my "My Country Right or Wrong".
    You’re taking things a bit too seriously my friend.

21. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    567 Posts
    Hate or hatred, in a very foot.ie sense of the word. Whatever Osa saw on previous messages that caused him to use the word.

Disappointed that needs explaining.

It is an honour. Absolutely it is. But not at any cost. The deal that’s allegedly on the table sounds generous and I’m assuming constitutes a pay raise.

You’re taking things a bit too seriously my friend.
    The Man ~ " Doth Protest Too Much "

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    He's available
    I would - he's an idealist who insists on playing 'the right way'. Works ok against inferior opposition but as soon as you come up against a good side you're in trouble. We need a bit more pragmatism at the moment. Losing 9-0 at Liverpool an extreme example of this.

24. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Any more blind speculation or gossip this morning? I need my fill.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Yes, an England based CEO wants an Ireland based senior manager. That rules out all names mentioned so far, no?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    484 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    Yes, an England based CEO wants an Ireland based senior manager. That rules out all names mentioned so far, no?
    We've had our warnings re Jonathan hill, he needs to be sacked without delay

28. Thanks From:

Page 46 of 116 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696 ... LastLast