Page 4 of 116 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Next Senior Men's Team Manager - Runners and Riders

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    861 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Genuinely worried the FAI will take a punt on Robbie Keane.
    I dont think they will, but Robbie has had as good a start as possible to his managerial career. I know some dont like the politics of him working in Israel, but personally I see that as hypocritical when we are ok with men working in a country that litterally still rules part of our own land ( and for the mods, Im not trying to start a debate on it outside of Current Affairs Thread). I think its too soon for him, but my hope for him in Israel was that he would do well enough to get a 2nd decent job and he seems to be doing that.

I seen John O'Shea mentioned as a caretaker. Am I the only one who thinks O'Shea has been badly tainted by recent performances. If we want to give Anthony Barry credit for some of the good work, O'Shea has to be criticized for recent games. Ive thought we looked extreemly badly coached against Greeks and Dutch.

I do think that Ferguson might tempt someone that wouldnt have been interested otherwise. A genuinely top class striker makes any team more capable of winning games and there might be a few coaches out there that would like the "project".
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    861 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    Sadly I reckon more thought is going in to the next appointment on this thread than the FAI will muster.

I think you've nailed this

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,250 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    I seen John O'Shea mentioned as a caretaker. Am I the only one who thinks O'Shea has been badly tainted by recent performances. If we want to give Anthony Barry credit for some of the good work, O'Shea has to be criticized for recent games. Ive thought we looked extreemly badly coached against Greeks and Dutch.
    Nope - I said the same in the Stephen Kenny thread. I'd be fairly underwhelmed with O'Shea/Andrews being appointed. Though it has to be an option.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    861 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Nope - I said the same in the Stephen Kenny thread. I'd be fairly underwhelmed with O'Shea/Andrews being appointed. Though it has to be an option.
    They've done as much to get fired as Kenny has. Andrews was an idiot for the stuff before the Greek game and was dismissed with a grin by a professional manager

5. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts

I'd love to see someone on the way up, like Magne Hoseth
    Is this the manager of that KI crowd? A manager who has only ever managed in the Faroese league (afaik without checking) ? The leftest of left field ideas. He’d maybe be a candidate for Shamrock Rovers to replace Bradley but I think there would be a national meltdown should someone from the Faroese league get the Ireland job lol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,644 Posts
    What about Solskjaer? Out of a job, decent coach, good with youth, good connections…

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    861 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    What about Solskjaer? Out of a job, decent coach, good with youth, good connections…
    The Man Utd fan in me just had a seizure

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Some interesting names starting to surface here, fair play, most of those in the first post would be in the please God no category for me. I genuinely don't get the ongoing willingness to entertain names who are in the end of managerial life cycle career stage as Kenny's predecessors were & the increasingly diminishing returns those appointments delivered lead directly to having a punt on Kenny. Yes, he failed, & the pressure cooker fishbowl combo of the Ireland job crushed him in the end, but surely we wont return to a methodology which failed under several managers, over many years because one guys approach failed once. Before this campaign he was worthy of a contract extension and had wide support among the fanbase and it if was because of certain coaches then find more guys of that calibre surely ?

Or pick a short term bounce guy, launch it, and have the whole debate again in a few years, which I would rather not.

There is no money in the FAI, but whatever bit there is, Hill & Canham are taking home a good chunk of it each year, we have no main sponsor and Castore gear to show for their efforts. I would like them to come up with one progressive innovative appointment & get it right. Others do it, why not us.

& while I am at it, if one more supposedly knowledgeable ex pro pundit says we have Ferguson now, he's good & big so we should fire it up to him, they should be told to go watch Brighton & stop talking immediately.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

10. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    My guess is the FAI will take their time under the illusion of getting the right guy but really to save money. Those that are out of work now may be in gainful employment by the time they make a decision and those currently employed may on the dole queue. Personally I would like to see Chris Houghton and this strategy give him a chance.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    We've got to cast wider..

After Jack stood down in 1996, if we'd taken a punt on a relatively unknown manager in Japan called Arsene Wenger, 1996 Foot.ie would have gone into meltdown

After Kenny had fallen flat after his first campaign, and we'd taken a punt on a journeyman Australian called Ange Postecoglu, Foot.ie would have gone into meltdown

along with the whole Irish soccer scene, journalists, ex pro etc

So lets cast the net wide. If it's true and Kenny is on 500,000 a year (which is bonkers btw, he should have been offered 20% more than he was on at a LOI club, or go sling his hook), then there are going to be loads of really good managers globally who'll take hand and all off us

Or maybe, find someone like Anthony Barry, who's undoubtedly a really good coach, and ask them if they want a shot at managing.

Remember, you get international players for a week at a time.. you don't ever know you have a full squad until they all turn up.. you can't do a huge amount of new work with them

So find a game plan, put the players into it.. and drill the hell out of them for a few days to try to get them playing

13. Thanks From:

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,001 Posts
    Sadly I reckon more thought is going in to the next appointment on this thread than the FAI will muster.
    Indeed, as Stuttgart88 has pointed out, us mere fans don't really know what's out there.

Ideally, the FAI would draw on all of their resources and unearth a Postecoglou-esque or de Zerbi-esque diamond for the job....but who really has faith in them to do that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insidetherock View Post
    We've got to cast wider..

After Jack stood down in 1996, if we'd taken a punt on a relatively unknown manager in Japan called Arsene Wenger, 1996 Foot.ie would have gone into meltdown
    Alternatively, you might have taken a punt on any one of twenty other little-known rookie French managers who'd hardly played professionally (or one of 20 other managers in the J-League), and what would you have got?

Quote Originally Posted by Insidetherock View Post
    After Kenny had fallen flat after his first campaign, and we'd taken a punt on a journeyman Australian called Ange Postecoglu, Foot.ie would have gone into meltdown
    Ditto any of the other managers in the A-League.

That is, we all know that there are unknown, unconsidered individuals out there in the crowd who could turn out to be brilliant, but which ones?

It's a bit like when Mourinho exploded upon the scene from nowhere (hadn't even played the game). Suddenly Portugese managers were all the rage. Next in line was Villas-Boas, who wasn't bad, but wasn't up to JM's standard either. Eventually we got to the likes of Nuno Espiritu Santo before realising that Portugese managers could be just as crap as anyone else!
    Last edited by EalingGreen; 18/10/2023 at 12:02 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I think that is the only possible way we could actually downgrade from Kenny. Makes it more likely for the FAI to pick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,644 Posts
    We could go back to the days of a selection committee. Nominate 5 foot.ie posters to select the side but let MyPost and Crafty take training (Stutts can train the goalkeepers).

18. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    Eventually we got to the likes of Nuno Espiritu Santo before realising that Portugese managers could be just as crap as anyone else!
    Nuno Santo not a crap manager. Wrong man, wrong club wrong time with Spurs no doubt but far from a crap manager. Ridiculous example.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    484 Posts
    Keith Andrews career in senior management is over.

Nonsense about data and how we should have won loads of games etc and an unfounded accusation against Greece.

He's so fired

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    Nuno Santo not a crap manager. Wrong man, wrong club wrong time with Spurs no doubt but far from a crap manager. Ridiculous example.
    And after 8 months out-of-work after Spurs, he ended up in.... .... Saudi Arabia.

Take away the influence of his Agent, Jorge Mendes, and what are you left with? A hugely overrated manager, who eventually got found out.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    We could go back to the days of a selection committee. Nominate 5 foot.ie posters to select the side but let MyPost and Crafty take training (Stutts can train the goalkeepers).
    Ok, I'll do it. But Im bringing a 70s Adidas trackie with me. No Castore carry on here boyo. Mypost you can bring your hulahoop & flip flops, don't worry.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Kenny era to formally end on Nov 28th according to Examiner

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    94 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    .... you are willing to take a punt on Coleman who doesn't have managerial experience???
    Would be far from my first choice - but when you are talking about the likes of O'Shea, Andrews, Robbie Keane (and Roy Keane for that matter) - I would go with Coleman (or Stephen Reid) before any of them. He strikes me as the type of person who would get the most out of an international team (he actually reminds me a lot of Johnny Giles in his outlook to football)

Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    Then after he gets a few good results, he leaves you mid-campaign for the first attractive offer?

It happened to NI with Lawrie Sanchez. Can't blame him, but he took a job in the EPL with Fulham when NI were 2nd in a seven team group including Spain, Sweden and Denmark (two to qualify). We ended up skittering in 3rd on GD ahead of the Danes in 4th, after losing very winnable games to Iceland and Latvia which would have seen us qualify.
    That would be a big issue - and why I would be more inclined to go with someone like Chris Hughton - a highly regarded coach - an underrated manager - someone who has had success at club level and now has international experience - including at a major tournament which will take place in a couple of months. He has coached underage teams - he has been a first team coach under 11 different managers - and has more managerial experience in the PL than all bar a small number of managers (the average lifespan of a PL manager is less than 2 years - Hughton has more than 5 1/2 years - and did it by getting two teams promoted - he also has been sorting out a basket case of an international set-up in Ghana for the last couple of years.

Page 4 of 116 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast