Results 1,621 to 1,640 of 2313

Thread: Next Senior Men's Team Manager - Runners and Riders

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    The nonplaying version of Robbie has really impressed me. What he has done with Maccabi Tel Aviv is pretty impressive. The football they played against Olyampiakos was breath taking at times. If Robbie has influenced them to do this then I'd have him as Irish boss tomorrow. But for some reason I don't think our lads have the technical ability to play that brand of football. And one other thing about his moral decisions - I don't remember anyone questioning his decision to go to Israel at the time.
    I'm not interested in getting into a political debate, but the day he was named manager, there were several comments on this forum about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Yes I think lots of people had reservations about it at the time

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    94 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Probably so, yeah. I suspect more than a few footballers who rejected a Saudi offer did so on the basis of the league being crap, and concern about what it could do for their longer career.

I'm reading Michael Palin's Diaries at the moment; he has a bit in it where he met Bob Geldof in 1987 and quotes Geldof as saying to him "My morality is absolutely clear. I just want to make lots and lots of money"

Geldof in 87 - a year or two after the Rats broke up - probably wouldn't have been particularly wealthy; certainly not as well off as Keane today. But I think they could empathise with each other.
    I think the Saudis specifically targeted players that they felt would chase money.

As for Geldof - a chancer of the highest order who used Live-Aid to relaunch the flagging career of the Rats.

4. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    94 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    The nonplaying version of Robbie has really impressed me. What he has done with Maccabi Tel Aviv is pretty impressive. The football they played against Olyampiakos was breath taking at times. If Robbie has influenced them to do this then I'd have him as Irish boss tomorrow. But for some reason I don't think our lads have the technical ability to play that brand of football. And one other thing about his moral decisions - I don't remember anyone questioning his decision to go to Israel at the time.
    Olympiakos are an absolute shambles at the moment - they are owned by the same guy who owns Forest and he has been using Olympiakos as a dumping ground for players they wanted out of Forest (Marinakis doesn't care about his Greek club anymore now that Forest are in the PL). This season there was a massive turnover of players - 36 out and 28 in - most of the ones that came in were free transfers (or on loan) - the club have had four separate managers since last June. The Greek Super League is so bad that they are going to finish third at worst no matter what they do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,350 Posts
    Going poorly for Robbie Keane tonight. Olympiakos 3-0 up in Tel Aviv at half time.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Going poorly for Robbie Keane tonight. Olympiakos 3-0 up in Tel Aviv at half time.
    It’s being played in Serbia. They’ve just got a goal back through a penalty which was their second shot of the game. Seem to be getting dominated but they now lead by a goal on aggregate
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Stevan Jovetic just scored in the 98th minute to knock Maccabi Tel Aviv out.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    Stevan Jovetic just scored in the 98th minute to knock Maccabi Tel Aviv out.
    The game finished 4-1 in normal time and went to extra time. Jovetic scored in the 3rd minute of extra time. It’s currently half time in extra time and 6-1 to Olympiakos. A sheer and utter embarrassment from Robbie Keane and his boys
    Paaatrick's Agletic

10. Thanks From:

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    585 Posts
    Pretty shocking capitulation. From the admittedly very small sample size that Robbie Keane's managerial career constitutes right now, it doesn't paint a good picture. It's especially poor given the state of Olympiakos this season, as outlined above. He needs a few years before he can be seriously considered for a job like Ireland's.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,249 Posts
    Olympiakos have won eight of their last ten league games and beat West Ham in the Europa League (not a dead rubber); they were unlucky not to do better in the groups actually. They can't be doing that badly, even if they're not as strong as usual (given they usually win the league)

Against that Maccabi had to play their home leg in Serbia - that's a big factor too, and one outside of Keane's hands.

It was a bad defeat for sure, but I think it's a bit excessive to use it to judge a record-breaking campaign (the furthest they'd ever gone in Europe)
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 15/03/2024 at 2:51 PM.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    860 Posts
    Awful defeat for Robbie, but hes done well to get them this far and is still top of table in League. Hopefully enough to get him a move to a better situation next season.
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    94 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Olympiakos have won eight of their last ten league games and beat West Ham in the Europa League (not a dead rubber); they were unlucky not to do better in the groups actually. They can't be doing that badly, even if they're not as strong as usual (given they usually win the league)
    As I pointed out - Olympiakos are a mess this season. Four different managers since last June (Diego Martínez from June to December - Carlos Carvalhal lasted 11 games - Sotiris Silaidopoulos - and now José Luis Mendilibar) - 36 players out and 28 in during the off season. Given the poor quality of the Greek Super League, it is difficult for Olympiakos to do any worse than third. The only real competition are AEK, PAOK and Panathinaikos (and PAOK are punching above their weight at the moment) - and Olympiakos have lost twice to Panathinaikos in the last few weeks (0-2 away and 1-3 at home). The Greek Super League is now in the play-off phase and Olympiakos are likely to be very badly exposed over the next few weeks.

As for Maccabi Tel Aviv - well they were not the only Israeli team to have progressed in Euro competition. Maccabi Haifa were also in the last 16 of the Conference League - they lost 3-4 to Fiorentina in the first leg (conceding 6 minutes into injury time) and then drew 1-1 in Italy last night - and Fiorentina are a much better team than Olympiakos.

Now all of this isn't worth a hill of beans - Maccabi Tel Aviv are a big fish in a small pond with a bucket load of money behind them - a team that, since Goldhar has bought the club, has systematically been removing any association with Palestinian or Arabic players and that has refused to take action against the racist antics of its Ultras. Keane knew what he was doing taking the job - he gets to pad his bank balance and his CV - irrespective of the political message that it sends.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    860 Posts
    Seems that Lukaku is out of the Belgium squad now, De Bryune also gone. Got me thinking about what happens if we get 2 good results in these 2 games. I think the FAI may have a PR own goal on their hands by dragging the new manager process out so long and in such secrecy. If O'Shea does well in these 2 games a lot of people will want him to stay on, and the new manager will be battling that from the start.

Usually when a new manager comes in there is a bounce in the mood of the general fanbase. Theres always renewed optimism in the air, especially if previous results have been poor. To me there seems to be a big of a feel good factor around this squad. It may be the sorting out of the Szmodics situation, or even the nice story of Brian Kerr being brought back. Whatever it is, the mood amongst the keyboard warrior brigade seems to be fairly positive towards O'Shea, and I think a lot of people are just p1ssed off with the dragged out manager hunt and are happy to let O'Shea just get on with it.

It leads to an interesting scenario if we get 2 good results here. Instead of the new manager being the hero coming into replace Kenny who got bad results, he becomes the guy taking over from the guy who did well. There could be an O'Shea shadow hanging over the new guy immediately if he doesnt hit the ground running with good results in June and September. There will always be those wondering if O'Shea should have been left on.

From a PR perspective they will probably have to say when the new guy takes over that O'Shea had been working in consultation with him, just so there is a continuity and the new man can take some credit starting out..... might be interesting times ahead!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,643 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Seems that Lukaku is out of the Belgium squad now, De Bryune also gone. Got me thinking about what happens if we get 2 good results in these 2 games. I think the FAI may have a PR own goal on their hands by dragging the new manager process out so long and in such secrecy. If O'Shea does well in these 2 games a lot of people will want him to stay on, and the new manager will be battling that from the start.
    Don't worry. Its a Belgium B team now. Wont count.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    860 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Don't worry. Its a Belgium B team now. Wont count.
    Ah but it will now, thats the benefit of being the new man

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    567 Posts
    If we get two good results ~ ~ The FAI will pull back the curtain and it will be John O'Shea !

The FAI would probably say the other deal fell through !

19. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    If we get two good results ~ ~ The FAI will pull back the curtain and it will be John O'Shea !

The FAI would probably say the other deal fell through !
    I think John O'Shea's situation is future-proofed. It's unlikely he would compromise his future on results from two difficult friendlies. He'll be Carsley's assistant with Whelan alongside (IMO, of course!).

21. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,099 Posts
    Having reported Carsley was out of the race, will Sky now fund his deal for the Ireland job?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Having reported Carsley was out of the race, will Sky now fund his deal for the Ireland job?

Don't think that's gonna work. Has officially ruled himself out of the job.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    So, not Carsley. That will upset a few people anyway!

A lot of journos left looking like idiots as well. In fact, nearly all of them reported Carsley as the most likely candidate at some point.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Page 82 of 116 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492 ... LastLast