Page 85 of 116 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,700 of 2313

Thread: Next Senior Men's Team Manager - Runners and Riders

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Result of the playoffs was Iceland's 4-1 trashing of Israel under wily Norwegian coach Age Hareide who was Denmark's coach when they trashed Ireland in the play offs. He's 70 now and I have it on good authority that he's on a basic salary of Eur400k+. It beats me why the focus is on championship manager standard salary and why it is thought that Eur 750k p/a is not enough to attract a decent manager. Just look elsewhere outside Britain.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Yes....cos everyone but JRG thinks he's shyte
    I don’t think he’s ****e. Better than some names that have been bandied around

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    Was listening to a Swedish football podcast this morning, and Janne Andersson (former Swedish manager) said that if everything falls into place, he expects to be appointed as an international manager next week. Very doubtful it's Ireland, as results wise he's as much as a failure as Kenny, but it's been all wild guessing with the names up to now so who knows ...

Hi lurker journalists!

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/...-41358463.html

https://extra.ie/2024/03/22/sport/so...anne-andersson

This is absolutely mental. Two prominent Irish football journalists are now running Andersson as a live candidate for the job, I can only assume for no good reason other than ifk101's post on here yesterday. There seems to be nothing further to this at all. How desperate for news are they at this point - they've been absolutely had by the FAI on the manager search.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

5. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Would assume the Andersson stuff is off his recent comments rather than just his name being mentioned by Irish fans.

“I have received some concrete requests,” Andersson told aftonbladet.se.

“Latvia was concrete and I was hungry but it was a little too early.

“If it's the right thing, it can happen, but I also feel that I've become picky.

“I've had the job I'd most like to have in the whole world, so if I'm going to do something else, it must be the right thing.

“We'll see what happens but I have something going on.

“If everything falls into place, it will probably be ready next week. A federation job.”

So he's in talks with a federation and if all things go to plan it will be a done deal soon.

FAI want someone that will do some work out of Abbotstown and he's never worked outside Sweden. Might get a handier gig closer to home that's more part time unless the money on offer is better than others are offering.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MylesNotMiley View Post
    Sagnol vs Poyet showdown on Tuesday - loser gets to manage Ireland.
    Eh, To Managed Ireland

8. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,099 Posts
    I saw Brighton coach Gary Dicker tweet his attendance at the match last night. Last time he tweeted about attending an Ireland game was against Greece last June...

Paul Rowan has absolutely no info anyway. He writes a piece in the Times today speculating on Janne Andersson and even bothering to get quotes from Paul Walker in Sweden before concluding Andersson's desire to live in Sweden means he's probably not in for the Irish gig. Absolutely pointless article from a man who clearly hasn't a notion who is in the frame.

Poyet, Sagnol, Barry feel like the final 3 and I'm really saying Barry with more hope than anything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Paddy Power have stopped taking bets on next Ireland manager.
    Perhaps we’re close

11. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    I saw Brighton coach Gary Dicker tweet his attendance at the match last night. Last time he tweeted about attending an Ireland game was against Greece last June...

Paul Rowan has absolutely no info anyway. He writes a piece in the Times today speculating on Janne Andersson and even bothering to get quotes from Paul Walker in Sweden before concluding Andersson's desire to live in Sweden means he's probably not in for the Irish gig. Absolutely pointless article from a man who clearly hasn't a notion who is in the frame.

Poyet, Sagnol, Barry feel like the final 3 and I'm really saying Barry with more hope than anything.
    I really, really think its Sagnol. He's relatively young for a manager, 90 minutes away from a major tournament and a free hit at a tournament that Georgia would have no expectations at. I don't see any real logic for why he would be stepping away unless he had another job to sign up for. I know his team said the FAI hadn't been in contact but maybe that's just being said for legal reasons just like the FAI said they cant name their manager until early April due to legal reasons.

We have to remember Poyet is out of contract too but the difference is he just hasn't been offered one yet by Greece so it's not really the same situation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,325 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Paddy Power have stopped taking bets on next Ireland manager.
    Perhaps we’re close
    That's happened at least twice since the search began

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CSAD View Post
    I really, really think its Sagnol. He's relatively young for a manager, 90 minutes away from a major tournament and a free hit at a tournament that Georgia would have no expectations at. I don't see any real logic for why he would be stepping away unless he had another job to sign up for. I know his team said the FAI hadn't been in contact but maybe that's just being said for legal reasons just like the FAI said they cant name their manager until early April due to legal reasons.

We have to remember Poyet is out of contract too but the difference is he just hasn't been offered one yet by Greece so it's not really the same situation.
    I think it's Sagnol as well, the more I look into his tactical setup and philosophy the more he seems like a perfect fit for Ireland. It's a logical step up for him to make as well from Georgia in terms of salary and expectation.

His people dismissing the notion of an FAI approach might be technically true if he applied for the job rather than being approached, he always treated the Georgia role like a stepping stone position with his intention to leave after the campaign regardless of qualifying so it's fair to assume he was making his availability known for positions opening after this window.

Also he's preparing for one of the biggest games in Georgian football history so nobody connected to him or Georgia are going to say anything to Irish journalists which could cause a distraction.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,249 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Murfinator View Post
    Also he's preparing for one of the biggest games in Georgian football history so nobody connected to him or Georgia are going to say anything to Irish journalists which could cause a distraction.
    Why would he already have agreed to leave a side he could be leading to the Euros though?

16. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Why would he already have agreed to leave a side he could be leading to the Euros though?
    Career progression I assume. Regardless of the reason it does seem to be the case considering followers of Georgia have said so.

https://twitter.com/GeorgianFooty/st...72801732039031

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,249 Posts
    That site looks a bit like a Georgian equivalent of foot? (Or maybe Kenny's Kids more accurately)

It's probably repeating what's been reported elsewhere (which isn't to say it's not true) and there's a comment on it we've been talking to Murat Yakin.

I think if he wanted career progression he'd give himself a chance of a good showing with a minnow at the Euros though. That'd attract attention.

(I don't expect them to get there for all that)

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,099 Posts
    I must do a Google but someone on Off the Ball said that Sagnol had racism allegations made against him previously? Must do a check.

I'm still wondering if there is any chance it's Barry. And that O'Shea and Co stay in situ for June, hence why such a team was put in place. And maybe that some of them stay in place for Barry.

Wishful thinking regarding Barry perhaps. Same thing could be occurring for Sagnol or Poyet.

Is it most likely to be Sagnol really?

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    I must do a Google but someone on Off the Ball said that Sagnol had racism allegations made against him previously? Must do a check.
    He racially profiled African and Nordic players as having certain qualities & African ones as lacking others. Said there'd be far fewer Africans signed for Bordeaux while he was manager because of the AFCON.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    I'm still wondering if there is any chance it's Barry. And that O'Shea and Co stay in situ for June, hence why such a team was put in place. And maybe that some of them stay in place for Barry.
    Think it was said that the incoming manager will be starting work in April and won't be double jobbing until the summer if he's already in another job.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts
    I’d be really disappointed with Sagnol. He basically had a failed job with Bordeaux about a decade ago and then managed Georgia who have a generational talent in Kvaratskhelia.

They got to that playoff by topping a group with Gibraltar, North Macedonia and Bulgaria. And their semi final was a win against Luxembourg. Came 4th in the euros qualifying group - which is pretty much par for what you’d expect by them.

So I really don’t see that he’s done a particular good job with either Bordeaux or Georgia.

23. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,099 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    He racially profiled African and Nordic players as having certain qualities & African ones as lacking others. Said there'd be far fewer Africans signed for Bordeaux while he was manager because of the AFCON.
    Cheers. I rooted it out. Fairly warped comments. I'm sure our players of African heritage, including the 4 frequent starters in Bazunu, Omobamidele, Idah and Ogbene would be keen on impressing someone who comes out with this sort of stuff...: https://www.france24.com/en/20141106...frican-players

Sagnol told the Sud Ouest daily [link in French]: "The advantage of the typical African player is that he is not expensive when you take him, he's generally ready to fight and he is powerful on the pitch. But football is not just that, it's also technique, intelligence, discipline."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,643 Posts
    OK… so which viable candidates do we have left who meet the conditions of Canhams statement (April contractual commitments), without being overly creative (looking at you Razor!)

- Sagnol (did some research on him yesterday, it would be a fascinating appointment really - things there I like but as ES points out a lot of ho hum)
    - Poyet (i do think it might be him but it’s such a risky appointment for a very conservative FAI leadership - would be a wild rollercoaster ride)
    - Anderrson (doesn’t really meet Canhams comment but his own comments are a tease, who knows what restrictions there might have been when he stepped down from Sweden. His style suits our culture)

Who else? Hard to see how it’s Barry - though his current roles are fairly narrow in scope and he may fancy the full meal deal.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Cheers. I rooted it out. Fairly warped comments. I'm sure our players of African heritage, including the 4 frequent starters in Bazunu, Omobamidele, Idah and Ogbene would be keen on impressing someone who comes out with this sort of stuff...: https://www.france24.com/en/20141106...frican-players

Sagnol told the Sud Ouest daily [link in French]: "The advantage of the typical African player is that he is not expensive when you take him, he's generally ready to fight and he is powerful on the pitch. But football is not just that, it's also technique, intelligence, discipline."
    Think a lot of people in football would say the exact same things about players coming out of Ireland in truth.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Page 85 of 116 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast