Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Northern Ireland Manager

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

New Northern Ireland Manager

Do you think O'Niell will take the job if offered?

Who could replace him at Shamrock Rovers?

Pat Fenlon

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    They wouldn't take Fenlon. Gerry Armstrong has shown an interest in the 6counties job.

I wonder would a certain ex-manager slip back in? None particular in mine - but one from Richardson and Buckley would fit the bill.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nr637 View Post
    Do you think O'Niell will take the job if offered?

Who could replace him at Shamrock Rovers?

Pat Fenlon
    I'm sure if MO'N was offered it he would be gone like a shot and might be attractive to the IFA as (I think) he is out of contract in November. I also suspect Nutsey would land out in Tallaght with Heary replacing him at Dalymount (if there is a job there next season ).

Now tomorrows Lotto munbers will be.........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    I'd have thought Brian Kerr would be amongst the favourites, he's been publicly courting the IFA for months, but they've said today that they would prefer a Northerner, my money is on Dirty Sanchez. Buckley was in Oriel on Saturday, any chance he could take some of his financial backers with him, Spud?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    NI would be mad to take on MON if they want to improve from where they are now

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs4Ever View Post
    NI would be mad to take on MON if they want to improve from where they are now
    Eh why?

MOM has a very good record in Europe when playing as under dogs, which is what the Nordies are for most of their games!

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eelmonster View Post
    my money is on Dirty Sanchez.
    Heed my advice - keep your money in your pocket.
    The Englishmen came over in the year 2005
    But little did they know that we'd planned a wee surprise
    Sir David scored the winner, and Windsor Park went wild
    And this is what we sang...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Magilton is more likely to get the NI job than O'Neill but the two of them could go as a pair. Whether or not O'Neill gets the NI job it's looking more and more likely he is on his way out of the League of Ireland at the end of the year. If that does happen he will be a big loss. Most Rovers fans don't want Fenlon near the job either, the board will probably look outside the league again.

Just on O'Neill, it amazes me how many LOI fans don't rate him, he's been in the league 3 years and his achievements in that time are fantastic:

2009 - Arrives in Ireland with no previous knowledge of the league. Brings Gary Twigg and Craig Sives to the LOI. Has fourth highest budget in the league under a part time structure but manages to push big spending full time Bohs all the way in the league, just running out of steam at the end to finish 2nd.

2010 - Despite having many of his transfer targets signed by other clubs offering higher wages he wins the league for Rovers for first time in 16 years. Gets to the final of the FAI cup losing out on a double by a penalty shoot out. Secures one of the finest european results ever by an Irish team knocking out a strong Israeli team with a 1 nil victory over there.

2011 - Wins the Setanta cup. Secures Rovers first ever european cup tie win beating Estonian champions Flora Tallinn. Narrow loss to FC Copenhagen who were in last sixteen of champions league last season. Beat Partizan Belgrade to become first ever Irish club to qualify for group stages of a european competition, arguably the greatest achievement of any Irish club. With three games to go, in pole position to claim a second league title in a row.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario View Post

MOM has a very good record in Europe when playing as under dogs
    Your Mum is rather kinky

11. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,247 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HulaHoop View Post
    Just on O'Neill, it amazes me how many LOI fans don't rate him, he's been in the league 3 years and his achievements in that time are fantastic:
    Did well the year after promotion alright. Since then, there's a feeling (or at least, I think) that he's another Fenlon/Doolin of sorts - not doing as much as he should with the resources available to him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Magilton is more likely to get the NI job than O'Neill but the two of them could go as a pair. Whether or not O'Neill gets the NI job it's looking more and more likely he is on his way out of the League of Ireland at the end of the year. If that does happen he will be a big loss. Most Rovers fans don't want Fenlon near the job either, the board will probably look outside the league again.

2009 - Arrives in Ireland with no previous knowledge of the league. Brings Gary Twigg and Craig Sives to the LOI. Has fourth highest budget in the league under a part time structure but manages to push big spending full time Bohs all the way in the league, just running out of steam at the end to finish 2nd.

2010 - Despite having many of his transfer targets signed by other clubs offering higher wages he wins the league for Rovers for first time in 16 years. Gets to the final of the FAI cup losing out on a double by a penalty shoot out. Secures one of the finest european results ever by an Irish team knocking out a strong Israeli team with a 1 nil victory over there.

2011 - Wins the Setanta cup. Secures Rovers first ever european cup tie win beating Estonian champions Flora Tallinn. Narrow loss to FC Copenhagen who were in last sixteen of champions league last season. Beat Partizan Belgrade to become first ever Irish club to qualify for group stages of a european competition, arguably the greatest achievement of any Irish club. With three games to go, in pole position to claim a second league title in a row.
    Copenhagen outclassed you beating you home and away, but everything is very fair, he's done a good job, but his resources are as good as anybody else's. This little plucky Rovers line you're pulling there doesn't really add up. So many clubs are in a financial mess.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    But as HulaHoop explained, part of the reason Rovers can offer better teams than other teams this year is that they didn't splurge on big contracts last year (or this year, really). Passing on Oman and Kilduff instead of trying to outbid Fingal kept the budget low enough that Finn could also be brought in at the last minute. The team has also played over 60 fixtures already this season, which is unprecedented in this league and would push any squad to its limits.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by poster View Post
    Your Mum is rather kinky
    Now that made me LOL. Quality

Not Brazil, what would ye think of Kerr for the job ? Think he could be a good appointment for ye. Gets a harder time than he deserves for his stint with the ROI.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    This might sound crazy, and believe me I am no great fan of the man but if it's to be a manager from the League of Ireland or Irish League I would take David Jeffrey. His record speaks for itself.
    Say nothin til ya hear more!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Yeah, why not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,350 Posts
    Sure I'll do it if they pay me enough..

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eelmonster View Post
    I'd have thought Brian Kerr would be amongst the favourites, he's been publicly courting the IFA for months, but they've said today that they would prefer a Northerner, my money is on Dirty Sanchez. Buckley was in Oriel on Saturday, any chance he could take some of his financial backers with him, Spud?
    Liam's doing what any out of work manager does - show up at a prospective employer showing interest. AFAIK the non-Irish part of the consortium have moved onto a decent sized club on the continent, though I'm not 100% sure on that. The Irish side of it is not involved in any club, though they might look at Dundalk, especially as one of them could be considered a relative local.

Good point being made about Brian Kerr, though I figure he'd want a big paycheque that might not go down well with the locals. And I don't know if he's the right man to take them on.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts
    Most Rovers fans don't want Fenlon near the job either
    You mean most Rovers fans under 25.
    False hope is worse than no hope. Ask Sligo.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    I personally thought it was mainly Rovers fans that didn't rate him. Wasn't there a debate about ye not wanting to offer him a contract extension (which wasn't offered by your board either afaik)?
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    Not Brazil, what would ye think of Kerr for the job ? Think he could be a good appointment for ye. Gets a harder time than he deserves for his stint with the ROI.
    I think Brian Kerr would be a good appointment for us.
    The Englishmen came over in the year 2005
    But little did they know that we'd planned a wee surprise
    Sir David scored the winner, and Windsor Park went wild
    And this is what we sang...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast