Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Matches Friday 29th & Saturday 30th September

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Drogheda fans banned from their next away match due to the linesman getting struck on Friday...

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soc...4gZGpYH-QgN4og
    Fair enough, about time this got punished. Although technically speaking it’s rovers that will take a financial hit here rather than Drogheda, so maybe a home game would’ve been a better deterrent. They hit the Lino with a bottle when they played Pats in United Park too within the last year so it’s not the first time it’s happened with them. I’ve also seen Shels and Bohs fans hit linesmen with bottles in Tolka and Dalymount in the last year, as well as a Finn Harps fan in Ballybofey at the Cup QF a few weeks ago. It’s a trend that has to stop across the board (regardless of how crap the officials might be)
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    Fair enough, about time this got punished. Although technically speaking it’s rovers that will take a financial hit here rather than Drogheda, so maybe a home game would’ve been a better deterrent. They hit the Lino with a bottle when they played Pats in United Park too within the last year so it’s not the first time it’s happened with them. I’ve also seen Shels and Bohs fans hit linesmen with bottles in Tolka and Dalymount in the last year, as well as a Finn Harps fan in Ballybofey at the Cup QF a few weeks ago. It’s a trend that has to stop across the board (regardless of how crap the officials might be)
    Agree typical Alice in wonderland logic from the the league that we end up taking a financial punishment …. Drogs would probably bring approx 150 max so that a €3k hit for us.

As it happens having no away section means most likely we’ll sell more than 150 tickets to home fans as this match will be close to a sell out but that’s not the point .

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Drogheda fans banned from their next away match due to the linesman getting struck on Friday...

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soc...4gZGpYH-QgN4og
    They’d surely have precedent for an appeal, did Rovers fans not nearly take the head off a Waterford player with a firework a few years back then have a subsequent ban reduced?

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    820 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    They’d surely have precedent for an appeal, did Rovers fans not nearly take the head off a Waterford player with a firework a few years back then have a subsequent ban reduced?
    They've lodged an appeal

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    Correct, that Waterford vs Rovers game was in late 2021, the punishment was that they’d play the first game of the 2022 season at home to UCD behind closed doors but after an appeal they punishment was changed to just a relatively small fine - something like €5k if memory serves me correctly. A joke of a decision at the time but as you say, the FAI set a precedent with that decision to overturn the original punishment so if I was Drogheda I’d be looking for the same treatment
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    The FAI previously warned drogs FC,Johanna et al about fan behaviour at different away grounds and and Oriel was the final straw because of pyro and other obnoxious abuse.
    Shams paying the price for them being c@&* is wrong
    I can see drogs withdrawing the appeal on further appraisal

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    The linesman was hit with a flare so I’m not really sure how they can justify an appeal. I’d say the more annoying thing for Drogheda is the €8k fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    879 Posts
    Drogs will be very happy with an away day ban that doesnt hit them more severly in the pocket, seems tailor made to have minimal effect on them. We should appeal on their behalf so they get their ban reduced to a €15k fine only, they'd really appreciate it!!

The only mitgation for the club is that many of those away fans are banned by the club so possibly why 'away fans' have been focused on. If they dont already the club should be obligated to have spotters at the entrances at away games to discourage these banned cretins!

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    820 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    The linesman was hit with a flare so I’m not really sure how they can justify an appeal. I’d say the more annoying thing for Drogheda is the €8k fine.
    I was at a Drogs game last season where the lino was hit by an object by the Rovers fans, play was stopped as he was on the deck for a moment or two, this came after the Waterford incident and absolutely nothing came of it.

Drogheda can feel hard done by in that regard but overall the FAI had to eventually hand this punishment out to someone as launching objects on the pitch has started to become a problem at certain clubs and it needs to be stomped out.

I don't see how banning away fans and financially punishing the home club is the right decision though.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    197 Posts
    I see the Drogheda appeal has been rejected and the away fans will be banned for the game in Tallaght.
    https://leagueofireland.ie/news/stat...appeal/id-5167

I wonder if they'll do Cork fans a favour and ban them from suffering a trip up to UCD for hitting Mark Doyle in the head with a glass bottle yesterday after his goal
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    879 Posts
    Still a daft way of punishing a club by spreading that impact to another club. Would the same happen if it were Bohs fans for an away game at Rovers or visa versa. Im kind of surprised they appealed when a significant number of their travelling support are not that welcome at home - unless it was an appeal against the fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    653 Posts
    Decison costs Rovers propably €5000 and Drogs zero.
    People in glass houses and all that but this is stupidity on a scale that the old FAI would have embraced.
    Hopefully Rover next ban is away from home against Bohs !!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Im kind of surprised they appealed when a significant number of their travelling support are not that welcome at home
    Fake news - what's a "significant number" oh wise one?
    DAN CONNOR HATES CITY, HE HATES LANGERS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    354 Posts
    Waterford getting pummelled by Galway this evening, not really showing much form leading up to the play offs....
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    879 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    Fake news - what's a "significant number" oh wise one?

Fake news? Apart from the Trumpism being an irritant your Famous 45 group has often been at odds with the club board. Many have been banned legitiately and arbitrarily many have boycotted home games and then fell away when the club didnt buckle too, but ask your own Event Controllers past or present about the exact numbers, some fact checking! DUFC hold the record for the number of 'fans' banned in one go at a couple of dozen or so, its a while back now but a 'significant number' were lifetime bans and those were on watchlists given to other clubs. Its not a bad thing, quite the opposite, if people misbehave they should be banned and Drogheda and decent fans should expect these idiots to be added to their unwanted list! Drogheda aint on their own either, all clubs refuse entry to people maybe unfairly at times - Marty and wider group of Section O could give some insight!

16. Thanks From:

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    Fake news? Apart from the Trumpism being an irritant your Famous 45 group has often been at odds with the club board. Many have been banned legitiately and arbitrarily many have boycotted home games and then fell away when the club didnt buckle too, but ask your own Event Controllers past or present about the exact numbers, some fact checking! DUFC hold the record for the number of 'fans' banned in one go at a couple of dozen or so, its a while back now but a 'significant number' were lifetime bans and those were on watchlists given to other clubs. Its not a bad thing, quite the opposite, if people misbehave they should be banned and Drogheda and decent fans should expect these idiots to be added to their unwanted list! Drogheda aint on their own either, all clubs refuse entry to people maybe unfairly at times - Marty and wider group of Section O could give some insight!
    I am not going into it just yet Nesta as my younger sister had to act as mediator with the club and I have a certificate to bring into the PO tmw with proof of ID so its either good news or bad news. Proof of delivery came today so think it could be the club wanting proof that I have read the letter so wish me luck!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    879 Posts
    Reduced capacity for Turner Cross for crowd misbehaviour now. Cork fans must not have appreciated one of their players being tackled. Maybe the FAI are getting serious on this and not totally opping out - a few more clubs can expect sanction and I seriously hope the leaders of the shedside army (ugh hate these ultra names) have a good chat to their group as the culprits of items on the pitch and setting off fireworks. The only upside to having little to play for around halloween is that reduced Shed numbers means reduced scourge of fireworks...maybe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    Reduced capacity for Turner Cross for crowd misbehaviour now. Cork fans must not have appreciated one of their players being tackled. Maybe the FAI are getting serious on this and not totally opping out - a few more clubs can expect sanction and I seriously hope the leaders of the shedside army (ugh hate these ultra names) have a good chat to their group as the culprits of items on the pitch and setting off fireworks. The only upside to having little to play for around halloween is that reduced Shed numbers means reduced scourge of fireworks...maybe.
    The FAI have to been seen to be serious on this issue but it’s going to hard for clubs to prevent incidents. I’d imagine that the majority of fireworks and bottles are being let off & thrown by a certain younger age group of fans that don’t particularly give a toss about the consequences for their clubs.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234