Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

Premier/First Division Play Off Format

Hi all,,

What is the format for the play-offs ?

I know the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th placed teams in the First Division will play off in semi-finals, but will this be a one off or two leg arrangement?

If its a one game format, is the first team drawn given home advantage?

Also will the Premier/First Division play-off game be a one off or a two leg affair?

Any details available!

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    820 Posts
    Semi-finals over 2 legs, "final" (don't know why they call it that) over 1 leg as is the promotion/relegation decider.
    BetweenTheStripes.net - Home of Between the Stripes LOI podcast.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,250 Posts
    Both one-legged ties in neutral venues the last few years, though I've no idea why.

Not sure what neutral venue would work for Waterford v Cork. Limerick/Cobh/Kerry too small. Galway? Though you may as well go to Dalymount/Tallaght then

Daft stuff really

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,351 Posts
    Seen pictures that Buckley Park is back up and running. That'll do nicely for Cork v Waterford.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Both one-legged ties in neutral venues the last few years, though I've no idea why.

Not sure what neutral venue would work for Waterford v Cork. Limerick/Cobh/Kerry too small. Galway? Though you may as well go to Dalymount/Tallaght then

Daft stuff really
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Seen pictures that Buckley Park is back up and running. That'll do nicely for Cork v Waterford.
    No need for Buckley or anywhere else. Wexford and Cork can just play in the RSC.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    The LOI better change this shambolic play-off format for next season, get rid of the farce of 5th ending up in the play-offs, it's bananas that Bray currently sitting in 7th spot with two games to go in yet another under performing car crash season still could end up in the Premier Division next season!

I understand the league wants to avoid as many dead rubbers as possible at the backend of the season but it's harming standards in the First Division rewarding teams from day 1 of the season happy to phone it in to 5th spot and providing a route to the Premier Division for part-time teams who are nowhere near ready for promotion on and off the field who quite frankly would be obliterated in a near fully professional Premier Division next season without massive cash injections

I'd like to see only top 3 in First Division have a route to promotion maybe realistically for a couple of seasons to please some objecting clubs I'd at least like to see a similar play-off system from the early noughties of 2nd to 4th in the First Division and 9th in the Premier Division with two-legged semi-finals and a one-leg final at a neutral venue
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Personally think letting 2nd-5th into the playoffs works fairly well in a division that doesn't have any relegation. The first division is in a much more healthier state since the 10/10 split. I wouldn't be in any rush to make major changes since it's only recently not been seen as a major graveyard.

The main problem I see with the process is there being so little difference between finishing 2nd/3rd/4th and 5th. At the very, very least I think the FD final, if it is going to be a one-off game, should be a home game for the highest remaining seed.

I know it'd be an unpopular view but I wouldn't be opposed to seeing something even more convoluted being introduced. I think the play-in format used in the NBA is deadly and would give a proper reward to finishing higher in the table.

2nd v 3rd - Winner gets home advantage in the final
    4th v 5th - Winner plays loser of 2nd v 3rd.

Loser 2/3 v Winner 4/5 - Winner plays away in the final.

I know there's not much much more boring than listening to other people talk about their proposed formats that'd 'fix' broken competitions but I do think there's some sort of tweak that could be done in the 'LOI Post season' (excuse the Americanism) to weigh it in favour of the teams who performed over the entire season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,351 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yurt View Post

2nd v 3rd - Winner gets home advantage in the final
    4th v 5th - Winner plays loser of 2nd v 3rd.

Loser 2/3 v Winner 4/5 - Winner plays away in the final.
    This is a much better system than what's in place at the minute.

Although, there's not much you could propose that would be worse than the current system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    I’d say the final is in Richmond again this year. Good turnout and atmosphere at last years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Too many bad memories of Richmond Park for Waterford fans after the last 2 play offs so we'd rather somewhere else. I said last year as well the play off finals should go back to 2 legs so there are no issues trying to find a suitable neutral venue. If Waterford played Wexford in the 1st division play off final where would that be held? Surely common sense would come into play and you could do a toss for home venue rather than playing it in Cork or Dublin.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    It it was to be Cork & Waterford it would certainly be tricky to place. Richmond is a difficult venue for matchnight operations between two clubs bringing sizeable support, along with some neutrals there for a gawk. A lot easier when one side is UCD. Cheaper than Tallaght though.

Unsuprisingly another issue that highlights the facilities problem.

It would be nice to consider moving it back to a two legged final next year.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    I don't see a two-leg play-off final returning until they shrink the amount of teams involved of if they stick with same format changing all First Division play-off games to one leg affairs which would make more sense rewarding 2nd/3rd with home advantage versus the 4th/5th place teams

Shouldn't be more than 4 play-off games after a long season, the two-leg format for all play-off games between 2018-2019 would have required the 3rd/4th placed teams in the First Division to play three two-leg ties for a total of 6 play-off games though that scenario unsurprisingly never happened during those seasons
    Last edited by total hoofball; 11/10/2023 at 7:00 PM.
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cláirseach View Post
    It it was to be Cork & Waterford it would certainly be tricky to place. Richmond is a difficult venue for matchnight operations between two clubs bringing sizeable support, along with some neutrals there for a gawk. A lot easier when one side is UCD. Cheaper than Tallaght though.

Unsuprisingly another issue that highlights the facilities problem.
    Don’t see what you mean by Richmond being a difficult venue for match night operations when there is two clubs bringing a sizeable support. When Bohs and rovers visit, they bring circa 1,000 away fans and then there’s 4,000 pats fans and all goes off without a hitch. If anything it’s probably the ideal ground for a playoff final (Tallaght aside, given the cost) given where the entrances are it allows for each side to have half the main stand each, with one getting the Patrons stand and the other getting the Shed end, as well as a half of the camac each if required. In reality no side that’s in the playoffs would come close to needing anything near that amount of space anyways so it’d realistically be a very easy fixture for match night operations regardless of the clubs involved considering it runs well when at capacity.
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    First Division clubs have played each other 4 times over the course of the regular season. 2nd and 3rd could have home advantage in one legged semi-finals. The highest ranked finalist with home advantage in a one legged final. The Premier

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    First Division clubs have played each other 4 times over the course of the regular season. 2nd and 3rd could have home advantage in one legged semi-finals. The highest ranked finalist with home advantage in a one legged final.
    The Premier Division 9th placed team and First Division playoff winner could contest a two legged playoff. The Premier Division team are the higher ranked team. They could have home advantage in the second leg.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    412 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    What's its capacity now?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    The Premier Division 9th placed team and First Division playoff winner could contest a two legged playoff. The Premier Division team are the higher ranked team. They could have home advantage in the second leg.
    Thats how it used to be up to 2019 I think it was. I recall the home advance age being a big factor in Harps excellent record in the playoffs, both in avoiding relegation and in getting promoted. Finn Park on a wet and horrible November night with a mud bath pitch, it was a harder place to go and get a result than the Nou Camp in those days, particularly if it was a second leg with the crowd behind them too
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,351 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    What's its capacity now?
    At least a million.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    On Cobh Ramblers Facebook page!

Cobh Ramblers FC

Cobh Ramblers will be running a supporters’ bus to our First Division play-off semi-final away leg against Wexford FC
    The date has yet to be confirmed depending on final league positions but it will be the week of October 24th - 28th

Single person - €25
    Family - €60 (2 adults, 2 kids)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    I doubt if Buckley Park is a runner. It has been reopened by a local junior team but hasn't held a LOI game in probably 15 years and I'd imagine there's a lot more work to be done before it could be allowed hold a big crowd.
    Play off format should certainly be looked at in off season. A simple solution would be 2nd placed team in first division goes straight to final and 3rd and 4th play off with 3rd team at home in a one leg game. Then hold a 2 leg game for first division final and promotion relegation final. The teams that finish higher get rewarded that way and are no issues with trying to find neutral venues then. It used to be this way before. There's no need for a team that finishes 5th in a 10 team division to be getting a place in play offs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast