Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quinn calls for GAA-scale investment in football

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quinn calls for GAA-scale investment in football

http://www.elevenaside.com/bohemians...p?newsid=23607

I have revised my opinion of Niall Quinn. Up to now, he gave a very good impersonation of a man who hated Irish football. But now, having revised from the league assessment panel, he is free to speak his mind. And speak his mind he has.
    I wonder if John O'Donoghue will respond?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I was surprised to read that given Quinns strong GAA links.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    He's right of course, but it's a bit hpyocritical of a man who has secured a large private investment of Irish money into an English club to ask our own government to invest public funds into something he wouldn't. It is slightly encouraging for him to say so though.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    As long as the soccer fans of this country, don't support irish soccer, the goverment is going to care.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Agree with Poor Student. In fairness pete he didn't critise the GAA, he just pointed out the flaws. I wouldn't say he has "strong" GAA links, he just played it as akid and watches the odd game. Its not like he's involved or anything
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    Agree with Poor Student. In fairness pete he didn't critise the GAA, he just pointed out the flaws. I wouldn't say he has "strong" GAA links, he just played it as akid and watches the odd game. Its not like he's involved or anything
    Perphaps if the govt put proper money into football it would become a decent investment opportunity.
    Quinn and his consortium are investing money in Sunderland beacuse they see Sunderland as a club with a lot of potential and a chance to make money. Not beacuase any one of them hate the eircom league and love english soccer. Its to make money.
    no eircom league club can be viewed upon like that at present.

Can someone post up what he said? Cant access link at work.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quinn urges Government investment

Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid
    Can someone post up what he said? Cant access link at work.
    Sunderland chairman-in-waiting Niall Quinn has urged the Government to replicate its input into Gaelic games by putting together a major investment package to save Irish soccer.

Quinn was in Dublin on Monday night for Sunderland’s pre-season friendly against Shelbourne, a game organised as a favour for the Tolka Park club with Sunderland committing themselves to the fixture as a gesture of goodwill.

After the game, he told Shelbourne’s official website: “I know the clubs have agreed to do something, by voting to merge with the FAI and it can go ahead.

“But, to me, the biggest input has to be made by the Government. If you drive through every crossroads in Ireland you see where the Government have assisted the GAA, and fair play, the GAA are doing a great job.

“The FAI are a serious organisation now and are making great strides in terms of getting this league into a fitter state. The Government have to take note.

“In its present state, it’s being allowed to decline and I think the Government should hold its hand up and do something about it.”

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    The FAI seem to be a have lot more political savy these days being very careful not to criticise the government & always given nice photo calls to the Ministers as it does not seem like can get funds if you p!ss off the Minister.

For all the ills of irish football the International football team is the biggest draw in irish sport even when not doing so well. The FAI need to make greater use of that in attracting sponsors who will promote irish football. eircom are uselsss promoters of both the international & league football.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    Quinn reeks of GAA -- he's always on about it. Wasn't he playing with some team in Kildare, or was that my imagination?
    In any case, that makes it all the sweeter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    He has very strong GAA links, he played for that team in Kildare and before he went to England he played minor for the Dubs. Often see him at Tipp hurling matches and Dublin football mayches. Also in his autobiography he says sometimes he regrets chosing to go to England and not stay and play GAA at home. He is GAA through and through

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    The point I'm making is he has stronger soccer links. He has no official connection with the GAA organisation, just the sport..
    ---

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    He's got a background in both GAA and football lads, and there's nothing wrong with that is there? Must we all become GAA haters to call ourselves true supporters of local football?
    www.WalkTheChalk.com - Stats, Opinion & Bluster on Irish Club Football

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    yes
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Gaa is a great game and so is football its ok to like both and go to both. I think there is a great post on the foot.ie blog about this and I agree with that post in its entirety. To be honest Quinn is right in what he says but not anything revolutionary. OF course the Government should invest more in Irish football.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    75 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by el punter
    He's got a background in both GAA and football lads, and there's nothing wrong with that is there? Must we all become GAA haters to call ourselves true supporters of local football?
    Yes, check out what the rednecked fascists are up to in South Dublin. They hate football with a passion and would happily see us die as a sport. We should always remember that. Football is the biggest participation sport in the country and they really, really hate that fact.

KOH
    No One Likes Us, We Don't Care

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Just cause they behave like that does not mean you have to stoop to there level. You can take the higher ground and still have time for the sport if not certain individuals contained within the admin of it. I think what is happening out in Tallaght is terrible and The GAA out there are behaving terribly in my view.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WeAreRovers
    Yes, check out what the rednecked fascists are up to in South Dublin. They hate football with a passion and would happily see us die as a sport. We should always remember that. Football is the biggest participation sport in the country and they really, really hate that fact.

KOH
    I would like to avail of this worryingly more frequent opportunity to agree 100% with WAR. Anyway, that's a different debate. If all of the GAA-lovers out there are happy to agree that football should be funded on an equal/proportionate basis, I'm happy with that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Niall Quinn calls for greater investment in domestic football just as he completes a takeover of a mediocre foreign club involving his money and other wealthy Irish investors.........

Disco pants he may have, but irony he clearly doesn't get.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Did I also read/hear somewhere (probably shelsweb interview) that he called on the government to give incentives to rich Irish people to invest in the EL like they do for the horse racing? Apparently there are 30,000 or so millionaires in Ireland and i hope they all invest in Shelbourne! All seriousness aside though , didn't sound like a half bad idea. I don't mind if the rich get richer if the EL can benefit as a result!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Hate the GAA organisation - but have nothing against football, handball or hurling - brilliant game IMO.
    They deserve the money they get - fair play to them for getting it out of the gov. We have to do likewise - we are the biggest sport in Ireland and we desrve to be treated as such. Btw I respect Quinny for what he did for Ireland but he is a total hypocrite

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast