Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great Article in Sunday Indo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Great Article in Sunday Indo

Not sure where to put this but its a great article, hits the nail on the head in a balanced way.

Sunshine supporters reign on

Paddy Come Latelys should look closer to home for focus of adulation
    Tools

Sunday August 05 2007

THERE was something extremely dispiriting about the fact that Bohemians, Galway United and Cork City drew their biggest crowds of the season to a pointless trilogy of friendlies against Sunderland.

It was even more dispiriting to see the media hype surrounding these kickabouts (one particular newspaper which normally seems to take a perverse delight in ignoring domestic soccer gave more coverage to Roy Keane's press conferences than it would ever give to a whole weekend of eircom League action.)

Bohs, Cork and Galway will all host genuinely exciting matches this season, matches which actually have something at stake (honours for the first two, the avoidance of relegation for Nick Leeson's crew). Yet they won't attract anything like the crowds which packed Dalymount, Terryland and Turner's Cross last week to see a not particularly distinguished foreign team play at half-pace in warm-up games, the results of which did not matter one iota.

You can't consider yourself a genuine fan unless you make the effort to support the domestic game

If you're one of the people whose only sight of an eircom League ground comes when an English team visits, shame on you. Because you can't consider yourself a genuine fan unless you make the effort to support the domestic game. It is, after all, where Roy Keane got his start.

The hoopla surrounding Sunderland may be the most graphic illustration yet of how shallow the attachment of many Irish fans to teams across the water really is. This time last year there wasn't a Sunderland jersey to be seen in this country. Now, as if by magic, you can hardly move for self-proclaimed fans of the Wearsiders. As Niall Quinn likes to put it, "the brand is growing".

Apparently all it takes for the fan gene to click in is the appointment of a famous Irish manager. How trivial can you get? One minute you're a supporter of Manchester United or Everton or Newcastle United. One managerial change and a small bit of success later and you're in love with Sunderland. It flies in the face of what supporting a team should be all about, namely the loyalty which enables you to stick with them through thick and thin and makes the victories seem earned when they do come along.

Then again the Irish soccer fan can be a fickle character. Supporters of Keane were in the minority back around the time of Saipan. It took a couple of disappointing results for Mick McCarthy before the majority swung round to the idea that the Corkman had been traduced by the manager and the FAI. At the moment Keane is something of a secular saint, hence the rush to touch the hem of his garment last week. He certainly looks to have the right stuff to make it as a manager at the top level but he will probably need a better club than Sunderland to fully achieve his potential.

And when Keane moves on from the Stadium of Light? The erstwhile Sunderland fans who turned up in their box fresh stripy jerseys at Dalymount, Terryland and Turner's Cross will go with him. Especially if it looks like he's going to win something at the new club. Sunshine Supporters are like that.

Perhaps I'm being unfair to those people who have formed a genuine attachment to foreign clubs and have maintained this for years. Perhaps, but they still mystify me. The eircom League has its problems but take in enough matches in a season and you'll witness more than a few thrillers. In any event, there is a vicious circle effect going on here. People who make the lame excuse that they never go to local football because the standard isn't as good as they're accustomed to seeing on Sky don't seem to realise that if attendances were bigger the clubs would have more money to spend on players and the standard would improve rapidly. It's the stay away fans who keep the league in relative weakness.

For all our love of nationalist rhetoric, the post-colonial mentality still plays its part in Irish society. Witness the almost indecent excitement about Bertie Ahern being invited to address the House of Commons. The English parliament shouldn't impress us any more than the French, the German or the Swedish. But it does. And the Premiership shouldn't cast such a spell over Irish fans. But it does. This is what the Australians used to call, 'The Cultural Cringe'.

The sad fact is that attendances at League of Ireland (as it was then) matches began a precipitous decline when televised English soccer became a fixture on the nation's goggle boxes. Seduced by the event glamour generated by the mass media, fans weren't happy with the native product any more. Local clubs have been fighting a rearguard action ever since.

That faithful band of supporters who continue to resist the blandishments of the big league across the water and who are patronised, mocked and condescended to for their loyalty are, in my view, heroes. They saw Keane at Cobh Ramblers, Daryl Murphy at Waterford United and will have known from first hand experience just why the Sunderland manager is so excited about Roy O'Donovan.

As for the Foreign Football First brigade, well perhaps they should take a leaf out of their GAA counterparts' book. Fans of Wicklow, Carlow and Leitrim don't desert en masse to support Kerry footballers and Kilkenny hurlers because that particular bandwagon is more congenial. It's an odd irony that people are lionised for following their local teams in football and hurling and ridiculed for it in soccer.

It's not even as though there was anything particularly special on offer this week in Dalymount, Terryland and Turner's Cross. In my younger days I worked as a reporter on local papers in Essex and Hertfordshire. Pre-season, the likes of West Ham, Spurs and QPR would venture beyond the M25 to play the same kind of warm-up games everyone has been getting so excited about over the last week. No one took them that seriously or thought that Purfleet's 3-0 victory over QPR or Grays Athletic's 0-0 draw with West Ham United meant anything other than that the professional teams hadn't been particularly arsed that evening.

These days we're exhorted to believe that these friendlies mean something. The season starts earlier and earlier, teams play in pointless multi-national tournaments for meaningless silverware or embark on gruelling overseas trips which have less to do with football than with the promotion of commercial opportunities for the bloated corporate entities which the big clubs have become.

Those pre-season matches are just one example of how phoney the English game has become

Meanwhile, the propaganda from the television companies for whose benefit a lot of these games are put on tries to persuade us that these matches are something more than glorified training sessions.

Yet it won't be long into the season before managers are complaining about the demands on their players and suggesting that there are too many games in the season. This after carting their teams from pillar to post when the players would have been better off with a few weeks extra rest. Those pre-season matches are just one example of how phoney the English game has become with its culture of increasingly dodgy foreign owners, its merciless maximising of corporate income, its remorseless hard sell and its ever increasing tendency towards self perpetuating oligarchy.

If that's the game to which you want to pledge your allegiance, go right ahead. But the first thought of those genuine, lifelong and local Sunderland fans you'll be meeting this season won't be how great it is to see you suddenly supporting their team. Instead they'll wonder why all these Paddy Come Latelys aren't following their own clubs.

Will you have a good answer ready for them? Is there one?

thephotograph@hotmail.com
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Good article.Will be interested in seeing what his mucker Declan Lynch will say about it.Good job posting that up Neil.Deserves to be in EL forum.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Great article
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    I didn't think I'd be saying it of the Sindo, but that is a very well put forward pro eL article that smacks of research, avoids sensationalism, and asks a few interesting questions.

As a matter of interest, who wrote it?
    That question was less stupid, though you asked it in a profoundly stupid way.

Help me, Arthur Murphy, you're my only hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    I bow to no one. bar Bluebeard and Mr A

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Eamon Sweeney.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The article reads like it could have been lifted from this forum. I don't mean that in any negative way at all, just that it's very much the sentiment of vast majority of those on foot.ie

I'm very pleased to see such an article in a sunday national paper.
    www.WalkTheChalk.com - Stats, Opinion & Bluster on Irish Club Football

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I was not sure where to put it and I dont mind where it goes but I thought it might provoke more debate on the World Football forum.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    unfortunately it is unlikely to ever reach those to whom it has so much relevance ... unless mr. sweeney gets it printed in the 'Irish' Sun!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Good article. I am amazed at this Irish Sunderland supporters ststement.

I haven't been in Ireland too much since Keane took over as manager. Is there really a large increase in Sunderland supporters at home?
    I think I should the parachute, because I'm great.

In fact, I think I should get both parachutes, in case one doesn't work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    I cant imagine Dion Fanning being too pleased with that article

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool

I have to say the Sunday Indo is most probably the worst newspaper that has ever existed in this country - where is the news in it? It's all articles by Z-list celebs and D4 heads rabbitin' on about Rosanna Davidson or whatever her name is. Anyway good article - now if you's will excuse me I'm off to buy The Sunday World.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Did you oversleep or what, CJ? You're a day late...

PP
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I dont really think we should be getting too over excited.
    Remember all those Blackburn Rovers jerseys a few years ago and YOUNG Leeds fans too. Where are they all now.

Was in shops today and didnt see any Sunderland jerseys. Saw plenty of ones for Barcelona, Boca, Valencia, Milan, Madrid, Spurs aswell as the usual suspects Liverpool, United and Celtic.

I'm also involved in schoolboy teams and I havnt seen one single Sunderland jersey down training in all teams from u5s upto u17s.

The most popular jerseys by far are Barcelona and Liverpool.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stojkovic View Post
    Was in shops today and didnt see any Sunderland jerseys. Saw plenty of ones for Barcelona, Boca, Valencia, Milan, Madrid, Spurs aswell as the usual suspects Liverpool, United and Celtic.
    they could all be sold out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stojkovic View Post
    I dont really think we should be getting too over excited.
    Remember all those Blackburn Rovers jerseys a few years ago and YOUNG Leeds fans too. Where are they all now.
    That misses the point completely. We all now this Sunderland fad will pass, but the former Blackburn, Leeds, Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd bandwagon jumpers will hop on to another English team and we will continue in this merry-go-round until the Eircom League shuffles off completely into the distance

reder
    Calm down lads. Sunderland will fall on their arses pretty quickly and the whole feel-good factor and fair weather support will die. I actually can see Keane throwing a tantrum and walking out blaming everyone else. Their game against Spurs this weekend isnt even sold out.

I agree with this person regarding the changing face of English football. This season is the first in decades in which I have no intention of travelling to a Liverpool away game. Dont even have a home season ticket anymore. Thing is there are about 40,000 beauts on a waiting list with LFC who will gladly take it.

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    its a great article. i would love to see some of the people that go around talking about how they are true soccer fans and then don't even support there local senior soccer team have a read through that article.

reder
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post
    its a great article. i would love to see some of the people that go around talking about how they are true soccer fans and then don't even support there local senior soccer team have a read through that article.
    The game is called football.

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    how pedantic of you

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I think Ireland should push for bandwagon-jumping to become an Olympic event. The 'Best fans in the world'. would be guaranteed gold every time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast