Thread: Mayo Junior Soccer

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Foot.ie!

Quote Originally Posted by juan pablo
    i agree sinabhuil, in fairness the western was never the best for soccer, for me the mayo news stands out miles ahead, how are preparations going for cross celtic??exciting times im sure?

The Western People appear to have a difficulty in printing submitted articles, from soccer clubs and have for many years. frustrating for pro's who spend considerable time compiling club news, if and when articles are printed, they usually are a week or two too late. anyone from Western wish to comment?
    Anyone else out there feel the same

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    This is going back to a previous debate on the Westerns coverage and I still have to say their coverage is an insult to any body playing the sport. Snippets of inacurate reports week in week out. The sports editor must have a major chip on his shoulder against soccer. To be honest dont even read the paper any more, used to be tired by the time I got to soccer reports, it was buried so far into the paper.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pixiehead
    I couldnt agree more with ya!!!! Ya thats all celtic did last year was hoof it. Ballyglass will stay and your the only one that agrees with me bout s+f . I think their number is up!!! The only thing is Fahy probably will go up but not for quaility of football its because their such a physical side. But on everything else its good to have someone talk some sence for a while
    Right. You claim to appreciate people talking "sence" (sic), but yet seem strangely bereft of it yourself. Fahy Rovers do not lack quality in their side and certainly don't rely on being physical to win matches. We are good at working hard to win back possession but we are neither a big team nor a dirty one. We had one of the lowest fines rates of any teams in Mayo last year for yellow cards and suspensions and are amongst the teams in our division who at least TRY to play football. Swinford, Ballinrobe and Westport B will also be trying to keep the ball on the floor and pass it about a bit. When you look at some of the other teams it makes me wonder if you have seen anyone in our division play at all recently. Do you think Milebush all-weather pitch is suitable for physical football? It's huge, level and impossible to slide tackle on. Surely that would suit a footballing side? And no matter what style we play, why are YOU pulling an angry face? How does it affect you?

I have no idea whether we will go up or not this year but I take exception to someone singling us out for that kind of comment when there are plenty of teams who consider hoofing a form of religion. It's never been our style and hopefully never will be.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    it would be nice to see a page in one of the many mayo papers, dedicated to club news/results/fixtures, etc for each club in the county, including club news, junior and youths articles. to me, with the amount of people involved in the sport in mayo, that this would be relatively achievable, other than that would there be enough interest and support for a regular mayo soccer supplement or newsletter.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It would be interesting to know how many registered soccer players versus registered GAA players there are in Mayo. Then compare this to the level of media coverage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Out of all the Public Relations Officers elected at club AGMs, how many of them would be active in their role? (submitting club news to newspapers, radio, etc) If there are active Public Relations Officers not getting their submissions into the print or recording media, then there is an issue.
    Never play leapfrog with a unicorn!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by unbiased
    it would be nice to see a page in one of the many mayo papers, dedicated to club news/results/fixtures, etc for each club in the county, including club news, junior and youths articles.
    You need good, active public relations officers in with the clubs first.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    have to agree with thunderblaster, if pro's don't send in stuff, then nobody can really complain. I was PRO of a club for a year and anything that was sent in usually made it into all three papers.
    I think shinabhuil's point about comparing numbers in GAA v soccer is an invalid one. Look at the amount of people you will get watching a County senior GAA final (often well over 5000) and compare that to soccer attendances (the biggest I know was Westport United's junior cup final where there was 1200).
    Also how many people are at regular league games in soccer? Few enough really.
    You have to allow for how well supported GAA is in Mayo.
    Soccer is on the way up, definitely and in a few years could have as much support. It's not there yet though.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs up straight talk

Lads take it easy you can never compare ourselves to the GAA because this is the roots of our comunitys the national sport.
    What we can do is show how far we have come from the time when football wasn't aloud to be played or you could be black listed.
    We can be proud of inroads soccer has made over the last 20 years with the facillitys that our local clubs have on this scale soccer in Ireland has closed the gap
    we can talk of the number of players that have played for their country which is some thing you can never say about wearing the local GAA jersey.the best you can hope for is to play in Croke Park I so pose its every gaa player dream, but as a soccer player you can go further.
    As for local press well I can say is they intend to lean towards the GAA following why because they say its there readership dictates what they print.
    So unless the soccer suporters voice there views to the editor well all I can say is were down the pecking order.
    So lads before you knock the press when did you send that last report,
    think hard.
    some of our thread bearers are concerned about the fox
    well I have it he is a busy as ever involved in football so for those concerned thread bearer dont get over concerned he is whatching you even when you dont no it.
    Last edited by renovater; 15/03/2006 at 7:46 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Which Mayo clubs would have good, efficient Public Relations Officers?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    it is a little unfair to make a comparison with soccer to gaa, but renovator is correct in stating that soccer and its facilities has improved radically over the years, and is becoming a huge sport in mayo even though not quite to the extreme of huge supporter attendance at games. i would say there are many pro's doing an excellent job in promoting their club, many local district notes would contain a piece on their club whether it be lotto winners, fundraisers, etc. however, it would be nice to see a page or half a page dedicated to all clubs so all club information could be published in one location.everything relating to gaa and media is and always has been 'in your face' so its time we did the same.

happy st patricks' day to all and best of luck to all teams playing this weekend

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Good luck to Celtic in fai cup and Manulla in connacht cup this weekend

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarBravo
    have to agree with thunderblaster, if pro's don't send in stuff, then nobody can really complain. I was PRO of a club for a year and anything that was sent in usually made it into all three papers.
    I think shinabhuil's point about comparing numbers in GAA v soccer is an invalid one. Look at the amount of people you will get watching a County senior GAA final (often well over 5000) and compare that to soccer attendances (the biggest I know was Westport United's junior cup final where there was 1200).
    Also how many people are at regular league games in soccer? Few enough really.
    You have to allow for how well supported GAA is in Mayo.
    Soccer is on the way up, definitely and in a few years could have as much support. It's not there yet though.
    Fair comments. No harm having the debate. I also am a big supporter of the GAA. Great organisation doing a lot of good in the country.
    The likes of this forum can do good for genuine soccer supporters. A lot of the political stuff on here is nonsense though. Should foot.ie advertise in the local papers. Get a more broader readership.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sinabhuil
    Fair comments. No harm having the debate. I also am a big supporter of the GAA. Great organisation doing a lot of good in the country.
    The likes of this forum can do good for genuine soccer supporters. A lot of the political stuff on here is nonsense though. Should foot.ie advertise in the local papers. Get a more broader readership.

Question for everyone who posts - How did you find this website?

There were a few references made to it in local papers last year, was that what drove everyone to 'have a look'?

I don't think the people running this site are desperado enough to advertise for more Mayo soccer enthusiasts to join the site. Thats just ridiculous and goes against everything a WEB FORUM is supposed to be. Digital media, cyberspace - it is replacing the printed fourth estate.

Can you imagine if they did - how many more renovaters do you want to join? We'd be buried under bad syntax and ungrammatical posts for ever.

NNNNOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gnasher

There were a few references made to it in local papers last year, was that what drove everyone to 'have a look'?

I don't think the people running this site are desperado enough to advertise for more Mayo soccer enthusiasts to join the site. Thats just ridiculous and goes against everything a WEB FORUM is supposed to be. Digital media, cyberspace - it is replacing the printed fourth estate.

Can you imagine if they did - how many more renovaters do you want to join? We'd be buried under bad syntax and ungrammatical posts for ever.

NNNNOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
    Agree with Gnasher, if people want to find it then they will. To be honest how I found out about foot.ie was all the controversy regarding Westport Carew last year

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarBravo
    Agree with Gnasher, if people want to find it then they will. To be honest how I found out about foot.ie was all the controversy regarding Westport Carew last year
    Same way i found out about it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FahyForever
    Right. You claim to appreciate people talking "sence" (sic), but yet seem strangely bereft of it yourself. Fahy Rovers do not lack quality in their side and certainly don't rely on being physical to win matches. We are good at working hard to win back possession but we are neither a big team nor a dirty one. We had one of the lowest fines rates of any teams in Mayo last year for yellow cards and suspensions and are amongst the teams in our division who at least TRY to play football. Swinford, Ballinrobe and Westport B will also be trying to keep the ball on the floor and pass it about a bit. When you look at some of the other teams it makes me wonder if you have seen anyone in our division play at all recently. Do you think Milebush all-weather pitch is suitable for physical football? It's huge, level and impossible to slide tackle on. Surely that would suit a footballing side? And no matter what style we play, why are YOU pulling an angry face? How does it affect you?

I have no idea whether we will go up or not this year but I take exception to someone singling us out for that kind of comment when there are plenty of teams who consider hoofing a form of religion. It's never been our style and hopefully never will be.
    Chilly willy man Thats only my opinon. And ya i cant spell to good but i never was the lick arse in school. Anyhow you will play good football on milebush cos thats the surface that creates the play but admit it ye needed to get the hell outa that "field" . I havent seen ye in the astro so maybe its brought out the best in ye but before that do you not agree that ye relyed alot on physical strengnt and i dont mean being dirty. If ye go up will ye be allowed to play there cause i doubt ye'd have a pitch ready in time . Fill me in

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    What has happened to Manfred?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gnasher

NNNNOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Everyone to there own opinion, some you like some you dont.
    What you seem to be more afraid of is that you find it hard to challenge

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by renovater
    Everyone to there own opinion, some you like some you dont.
    What you seem to be more afraid of is that you find it hard to challenge

Congrats from me and the boys on your first readable post.

And just to clear up, I will not be bothering to reply to anymore of your idiotic ramblings. A challenge? It's not even a game.