Results 1,901 to 1,920 of 2222

Thread: Next Senior Men's Team Manager - Runners and Riders

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts
    And the highlights of that Brighton v Man U game

Last edited by Jolly Red Giant; 31/03/2024 at 5:40 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Red Giant View Post
    I'll bang a drum at this stage - the way thinks are now the FAI need to go with the known product - the solid record and safe pair of hands - Chris Hughton.

Hughton may not light up the world with an Irish team, but they will be solid, disciplined and structured - the players will know what they are supposed to be doing - and with Ferguson upfront, Hughton could well open up the playing style to suit him. At worst Hughton will lay the foundation for his successor (like he did at Newcastle and Brighton).

Have a look at how he approached Brighton's 3-2 win over Man Utd - and having what was no more than a Championship team at his disposal - Ryan, Montoya, Duffy, Dunk, Bong, Knockart, Stephens, Propper, March, Gross and Murray - Man U team was De Gea, Young, Bailly, Lindelof, Shaw, Fred Pereira, Pogba, Mata, Lukaku, Martial.

The Chris Hughton of 10 years ago would be a magnificent appointment but he's 65 now and his career is in a tailspin. His record with Ghana as a powerhouse in Africa of 4 wins in 13 including defeats to Comoros and Cape Verde was dreadful.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was done with management after that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    We're making fun of Christians / Catholics now?
    It's just a joke mate.

Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    They're making puns on Christian terms. It's not decorious, but it's not the same as mockery. Christianity used to be able to demand decorum, but have lost that priviledge as our society rejected their claims to moral authority in light of, e.g., their shielding and enabling paedophiles and their mistreatment of mothers and children out of wedlock. This is an example of how loss of privilege is sometimes mistaken for discrimination. A counterexample, "Christians are overly sensitive to criticism because their beliefs are illogical and that makes thim insecure about their faith," would be mocking Christians.
    That's a reference to the catholic church (as it was), not Christianity.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Anyway back to footy...

Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Tis kinda bad that ~ ~ The Irish Manager's job can't even generate a few decent rumours ~ ~ Things are bad ! !
    This shouldn't be surprising to anyone.

The job just isn't an attractive opportunity at present, and it'll remain that way until some good talent emerges in central midfield.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Murfinator View Post
    The Chris Hughton of 10 years ago would be a magnificent appointment but he's 65 now and his career is in a tailspin. His record with Ghana as a powerhouse in Africa of 4 wins in 13 including defeats to Comoros and Cape Verde was dreadful.

Been through this before - Ghana have been a major downward spiral for years before Hughton took over - the entire Ghanaian FA nearly collapsed under the weight of a corruption scandal in 2019.

Getting Ghana to AFCON was actually a significant achievement and wouldn’t have happened without Hughton. But go ahead and dismiss a coach who actually succeeded in qualifying a team for a major international tournament.

7. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    433 Posts

Still better than JOS as the manager though.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    Still better than JOS as the manager though.
    Undoubtedly but people like the shiny new thing.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    763 Posts
    Does anyone actually want O'Shea? He has made no particular impression anywhere he has coached, Kenny seemed to take him on mainly due to a lack of alternative options and he showed nothing across the two games he stood in for to suggest that he has anything new to offer in the role. It would just be more of the same as we've had for the last four years, just with a likely extra layer of Brian Kerr conservatism added in to the mix as the crowds continue to dwindle away with the apathy further setting in. Who's going to want to watch more of what we saw against Switzerland last week?
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

11. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,097 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Does anyone actually want O'Shea? He has made no particular impression anywhere he has coached, Kenny seemed to take him on mainly due to a lack of alternative options and he showed nothing across the two games he stood in for to suggest that he has anything new to offer in the role. It would just be more of the same as we've had for the last four years, just with a likely extra layer of Brian Kerr conservatism added in to the mix as the crowds continue to dwindle away with the apathy further setting in. Who's going to want to watch more of what we saw against Switzerland last week?
    I can't imagine how anyone would want O'Shea to get the gig.

The only reasons that he got the senior manager gig for two games was that he'd been working for the FAI before, had coaching experience at a good level and was a very successful player. Otherwise, he has no management experience and scant enough coaching achievement. Realistically, the FAI would put him in charge because of reasons 1) and 3) - they have employed him and worked with him before and he was a successful player. If they wanted to appoint someone with coaching achievements and management experience then they'd look elsewhere. If they wanted someone with coaching and management achievements then they reeeaallly would have to look elsewhere.

I'd say that Brian Barry Murphy would tick the boxes for coaching achievements and management experience. Maybe not management achievements. That's one example of a better qualified candidate.

The better qualified candidates with managerial success, well...

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    763 Posts
    The thing with BBM is that we don't have the quality of players to play the type of game he would want to play. Could develop into another Kenny situation fairly quickly I'd fear.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Red Giant View Post
    Been through this before - Ghana have been a major downward spiral for years before Hughton took over - the entire Ghanaian FA nearly collapsed under the weight of a corruption scandal in 2019.

Getting Ghana to AFCON was actually a significant achievement and wouldn’t have happened without Hughton. But go ahead and dismiss a coach who actually succeeded in qualifying a team for a major international tournament.
    They were one of the pre-tournament favourites and had qualified for all of the previous 9 tournaments in succession so I'm not sure that's quite the achievement you're making it out to be.

I'll assume claiming that Ghana with both Ayews, Kudus, Partey etc would have been eliminated by the Central African Republic (a team that never qualified for anything, ranked #129 so around the level of the Faroe islands) without the guidance of Hughton is an April fools joke because surely you don't believe that?

Hughton has had an admirable career but I don't think he has much left to offer, I wouldn't be surprised if he has no future offers from anywhere.
    Last edited by Murfinator; 01/04/2024 at 3:35 PM.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,238 Posts
    They'd also been at the 2022 World Cup, which is a lot harder to qualify for.

Though one of the things about debating with JRG is to realise that, first off, you're wrong. Things go a lot smoother after that

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts
    Is Roberto Di Matteo the best manager to be (briefly) linked to the job?

Genuinely can’t see it being O’Shea - zero management experience and failed the interview. Anthony Barry is the only interesting name and even that is a huge gamble into the unknown.

If you assume that all of Poyet, Sagnol, Carsley and Lennon are definitely out of the running. Where does that leave us?

The irish candidates: Hughton (Kerr says he won’t take it), Duff (won’t take it), Robbie (inexperienced and ethical stuff re Israel), Roy (can’t afford him and it would be a train wreck), Bradley (a far less successful LOI manager than Kenny) - or a host of guys who have good coaching backgrounds but no management experience (Reid, McCarthy etc).

As for non-Irish candidates who haven’t been mentioned, these are who the bookies have less than 50/1. Jesse Marsch, Paul Clement, Slaven Bilic, Janne Andersson. All ranging from 28-40/1, so all super long shots.

We’re in early April now. My guess is still it’ll be Poyet and the story leaking is part of negotiations of him trying to bring in his own back room team.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    763 Posts
    David Sneyd today reporting that the Poyet link isn't dead yet. I've long thought that it would end up being him, but I don't think it was unreasonable to take it based on Canham's comments that it was all but a done deal. Clearly this is not the case.

Poyet is both a not particularly spectacular option and at the same time also about the only remaining option that doesn't absolutely terrify me. He's probably the only one left that would represent a clear upgrade on Kenny, I would describe the other options now being put forward as being about as bad as what went before.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    433 Posts
    Feel Poyet is just trying to use the FAI to drum up interest from other jobs.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,097 Posts
    https://www.gustavopoyet.com/en/than...ese-two-years/

Poyet and his management are enjoying this whole carry on.

Did they not hear Canham already has someone lined up that is capable or has a record of being a head coach and designing and implementing an entire structure from senior level to underage?

I get the feeling they thought they had Carsley on board and are now panicking.

Given that Canham and Hill are ex English FA, it will be truly pathetic if it transpires that the FA pulled their trousers all the way down by managing to change Carsley's mind. As if to say, we took this lad from the Eire and you lads joined the Eire so we are going to completely f*ck you if you think you're taking him off us.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,097 Posts
    And if this is the case, then they should be on borrowed time.

I hope it is not but this Poyet stuff is pointing in one direction.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    763 Posts
    Whatever about Poyet, if they end up with O'Shea they should definitely be moved on. I'm not sure there's an outcome at this point that allows them to emerge with a huge amount of credibility from the whole affair to be honest. Probably what will happen is that once all this is settled Hill will be let go. Canham might stay on for another while but then leave of his own accord. Bonner will be there forever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    Feel Poyet is just trying to use the FAI to drum up interest from other jobs.
    I'd agree but losing a playoff to Georgia with Greece isn't exactly the sort of thing to inspire belief among club in Europe's elite leagues.

Poyet and the FAI might just be desperate enough for each other at this stage. That's the only way the FAI could end up considering appointing a loose cannon like Gus Poyet tbf!
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    They were one of the pre-tournament favourites and had qualified for all of the previous 9 tournaments in succession so I'm not sure that's quite the achievement you're making it out to be.

I'll assume claiming that Ghana with both Ayews, Kudus, Partey etc would have been eliminated by the Central African Republic (a team that never qualified for anything, ranked #129 so around the level of the Faroe islands) without the guidance of Hughton is an April fools joke because surely you don't believe that?

Hughton has had an admirable career but I don't think he has much left to offer, I wouldn't be surprised if he has no future offers from anywhere.
    Ghana were not anything close to pre tournament favourites, they managed to get into the final tournament with what was reckoned to be their worst ever squad. Ghanaian sports journalists were very pessimistic about getting out of the group stage.
    Regardless, I did see enough of Chris' caution in 2 of Ghana's games to raise doubts about him for the Irish job even though (paradoxically) in no way should he be judged in anyway regarding the performance of Ghana.

Page 96 of 112 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798106 ... LastLast